Game Day Round 23, 2019: Sydney v St.Kilda *2019 PRIDE GAME*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
rAzmex9.png

Preview
Sydney v St.Kilda

679998_thumb.jpg

St.Kilda were upset on Saturday afternoon, and after leading by as many as 24 points against Carlton at the MCG, the Saints fell away badly to lose in the end by 10 points. With their 12th loss of the year the Saints have been eliminated from finals contention and will begin planning for a finals push in 2020.

As for Sydney, they couldn't have played much better on Friday night under the lights of the MCG against Melbourne, with a comfortable 53 point win. Much like the Saints, the Swans are out of finals contention, but will want to close their season out in good form and take momentum into next year.

Let’s have a look at possible best 22s:

St.Kilda Best 22
B:
Shane Savage, Nathan Brown, Callum Wilkie
HB: Jack Newnes, Jake Carlisle, Hunter Clark
C: Jack Billings, Sebastian Ross, Josh Battle
HF: Nick Hind, Josh Bruce, Jack Steele
F: Jack Lonie, Tim Membrey, Ben Long
Foll: Rowan Marshall, Jack Sinclair, Blake Acres
I/C: Jack Steven, Luke Dunstan, Dan Hannebery, Matthew Parker

Sydney Best 22
B:
Robbie Fox, Lewis Melican, Callum Mills
HB: James Bell, Dane Rampe, Jordan Dawson
C: Jake Lloyd, George Hewett, Oliver Florent
HF: Isaac Heeney, Tom McCartin, Kieren Jack
F: Ben Ronke, Sam Reid, Nick Blakey
Foll: Aliir Aliir, Josh P. Kennedy, Tom Papley
I/C: Daniel Menzel, Ryan Clarke, James Rowbottom, Luke Parker

Medical Room

706018_gl.jpg

Surprisingly, both St.Kilda & Sydney look to have escaped from their matches with no fresh injury concerns.

Preview

599820_gl.jpg

St.Kilda have been in good form under interim coach Brett Ratten over the past month, but had a bit of a hiccup last Saturday afternoon at the MCG when they took on the Blues at the MCG in David Teague's first game after agreeing to becoming Carlton's permanent head coach. St.Kilda lead by as much as four goals midway through the second before the Blues came back hard and were ahead by 10 points at the final siren.

In what was ultimately a disappointing afternoon for St.Kilda, speedster Nick Hind was voted the Saints best on the day with 13 disposals and two great goals.

Other notable performances included midfielder Jack Steele (20 disposals, 3 marks & 14 tackles), Tim Membrey (15 touches, 10 marks, 3 goals), Rowan Marshall (17 possessions, 33 hit-outs, 3 marks & 7 tackles) and Jack Billings (26 disposals, 7 marks. 2 tackles & a goal).

Sydney's list deficiencies have shown all year. Lance Franklin has battled injury, and rarely have the Swans had their best 22 out on the park every week, evidenced by their season form line - with their only wins for the year coming against Carlton, Essendon, North Melbourne, West Coast, Hawthorn, Gold Coast & Melbourne - their best win of the year clearly against the Eagles, but the rest against teams in and around them - their 15th place on the ladder after 22 rounds a good sign of where they are at.

It was good news for the Swans last Friday night however, breaking a six game losing streak to thrash Melbourne by 53 points at the MCG.

Exciting young gun Oliver Florent was voted the Swans best on the night with 28 disposals, 4 marks & 4 tackles, but Florent wasn't alone with the likes of Sam Reid (14 touches, 7 marks, 3 goals), Luke Parker (25 disposals & 8 tackles) and midfielder Jake Lloyd (28 possessions) providing valuable assistance throughout the evening.

Potential changes

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F23b2d15f-6e2c-4c81-a485-847a56808e13

St.Kilda's pace was a concern on Saturday afternoon, and Matthew Parker could return to the side to fill that need.

Other potential changes could be Jimmy Webster & Jade Gresham.

Key Match-Ups

4c1728bd147eb634be283e05ccf40129

Luke Parker
Parker could quite possibly be Sydney's best player all year, and seemingly loves to play against the Saints. Dangerous up forward and good through the middle, St.Kilda will need to shut Parker out of the game to give themselves a better chance on Saturday afternoon.

Oliver Florent
Florent's improvement this season is evident, and we are starting to see why he was so sought after in his draft year. - and he will be looking to end the season strongly after another good performance last Friday night with 28 disposals, 4 marks and 4 tackles. His speed could be an issue if the Saints go with another tall & slow lineup.

Tip

705819_gl.jpg

With both teams now mathematically out of finals contention, it really is a dead rubber game. St.Kilda haven't beaten Sydney at the SCG since 2009, and I think that whilst it won't be the blowout that it was last time they played, the Saints will fall short away from home.

Swans by 21 points.

Thoughts?

Not much has gone right for us this year and copping the Swans last game on such a marquis day for their club continues our bad luck. Ironically, even when the Swans have been below their usual standard in the last few seasons we still still seem to get them when they come good. Maybe we play them into form. Either way they've become a real bogey team for us.

Also, despite Buddy missing heaps of footy in the last few seasons, he never seems to miss against us. I just wish we could occasionally play the "Bad Swans" that other teams seem to strike.

I'm afraid all that adds up to another bad day at the office for mine. If we can get within 4 goals I'll be happy.

I'd just like to see us to take the game on for once on the road. Against the big boys interstate we always seem to suffer from stage fright and the games are all over before half time. Typically, we then save a bit of face in the second half but still lose easily.

How good would it be to see us hit the scoreboard early and actually put some heat on the Swans. Take a leaf out of Collingwood's interstate blueprint that usually works so well. If we are going to go down then I'd much sooner that we lose say, 20 goals to 15, rather than 16 goals to 7. Wishful thinking I know, but the Swans aren't the power they once were and on a small ground we should get enough chances of our own to snag a few.

As I've posted before I reckon good sides perform well on the road. Nearly all our best form is at Marvel and occasionally at the G. In some ways this game will give us a better insight of what Ratts can bring to the table than what we've seen thus far.

A win or at least a good competitive effort and I reckon the job is his. A belting and the job is back up for grabs. I look forward to what unfolds with great interest, but little hope.

That said, bring it on. Go Saints !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weird that you wouldn’t have identified first off how Sh$te Sydney are as a fact
Must be a swans man or just focus on the negative
Now off you go and get some dummies for the game

Sydney have often fielded the youngest side in the AFL this season. They are in a proper rebuild where they are playing kids over seniors. Probably get a lift from the old guys on their departure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back