Review Round 23 2021 - Carlton v GWS Giants, 7.40 pm at Marvel Stadium, Sat 21 August

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

One more win is all that's required for the GIANTS to sew up a finals spot.

Where and When: Saturday August 21, Marvel Stadium, 7.40pm

Last time they met:
The GIANTS beat the Blues back in round 14, winning by 36 points in what has turned out to be the team’s last game at GIANTS Stadium for the season. The team set the win up by kicking five straight goals either side of the half time break, letting Carlton sneak back to within two kicks during both the third and final quarters before scoring five of the last six wins to guarantee the win and stay in touch with the top eight during what was an inconsistent stretch of the season. Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper were busy around the ball, Jack Buckley kept Harry McKay quiet early. Jeremy Finlayson kicked five goals and Matt de Boer put the clamps on Sam Walsh. But if there is one thing from this match you probably remember, it’s this: Toby Greene’s 67-metre torpedo goal after the quarter-time siren.

What it means for the GIANTS: For the third week in a row it’s easy: win, and the GIANTS get to play finals after missing out last season. Lose, and the team's fate will hinge on what clubs like Essendon, Fremantle, West Coast and St Kilda do in their matches, but we probably miss out.

Where’s the opposition at: The Blues have had a tough few weeks, losing games, falling out of the finals race and starting to lose players as well (McKay, Zac Williams, Jack Martin, Jack Silvagni, Liam Jones and co-captains Patrick Cripps and Sam Docherty, to name a handful). They still have plenty of talent in their side, starting with Walsh and Charlie Curnow, who has been reintroduced to their side in recent weeks after a long, long time out injured. They were very good early against Port Adelaide last week and led by 23 points midway through the second quarter before conceding 19 goals in a row to lose by 95 points. They’ll be looking to send Eddie Betts into retirement on the brightest possible note.

Capture - GWS v Blues.PNG
Capture- GWS v Blues changes.PNG

I like that we've made minimal changes, and stuck with the team that has been resurgent these last couple of weeks. Just Toby to return, and Mummy to be rested ready for finals - provided we win. Hopefully the boys are hungry to finish the regular season well, and play finals. Sorry, Eddie, you've been an ornament to the game, but hopefully you go out like Marc Murphy did.

Let's smash 'em, Giants!

I'm a bit nervous, to be honest.

I reckon Carlton will come out firing and try to knock us off balance, which is how we've been wrong-footed by lower ranked teams all season.

This is going to be about Eddie and nothing else. We're lucky there's no home crowd to roar every time he gets a touch.

I’m going to be recklessly optimistic and say we ice this one before halftime, then taper in the second half.

Eddie Betts to kick a very cheeky one in Q4 for a feel good finish.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Have to love our club. A great way to pay respects to the career of a legend of the game.
No doubt we will give him 1 at the end of the game as well - All class

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back