Review Round 23, 2022 - Brisbane Lions vs. Melbourne

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I would argue Melbourne have a far superior midfield and ruck than us. Their backs, especially the three talls are better than ours, perhaps the forward line and wings even themselves out.
We get to the next level by removing some of the senior players at years end (Rich, Robo, Lyons etc) and a shake up of some of the assistant coaches new 'set of eyes' so to speak. Play some of the youth at the beginning of the season, even if we drop off in 2023, so we can have a crack in 2024/2025.
That said can beat the Dogs at the GABBA, not sure on Richmond though.
Other teams seem to be able to match them. Hawthorn for example.They are not unbeatable except against us.

We seem to be beaten before we start against Melbourne.Blowed if I know how to fix it.
It’s pretty hard mentally to get over something like that. Anyone who has played sport professionally or otherwise, knows there are always teams you go up against that in your own mind you know are better than you or you perceive as better than you.

You can go into any game hoping for a different result, but once a team starts like Melbourne did on Friday and going into a game already with the mindset that the task at hand is going to be pretty difficult, then the result is never pretty.

Last edited:

First bounce of the game is a bad viewing. all 3 mids got sucked in, brayshaw hangs out the back. Neale's direct opponent. Think Lachie sees a clearance stat and chases it far to often. Should be much more accountable.

First bounce of the game is a bad viewing. all 3 mids got sucked in, brayshaw hangs out the back. Neale's direct opponent. Think Lachie sees a clearance stat and chases it far to often. Should be much more accountable.
When he is the only one of our inside mids who does chase the ball I will forgive him for that.

Not sure where the narrative of Lachie being selfish has come from the last couple days. He is our best and hardest working player by far on and off the field. If every player worked as hard and covered as much ground as Lachie we’d be unstoppable.

Sounds like it's a player personnel issue not a coaching one.... a great man/coach once said great players make great coaches not vice versa.
true to some extent, you have to have the cattle. However tactics and structure has to come into it. Melbourne just exploited our zone defence with blocks and strategic running patterns that just confused our zone defence, with defenders handing over to others. Also it is up to the coaches to get the best out of players and develop players and IMO the believe that senior players are automatic selections each week probably sends the wrong message. Maybe some of the assistants have been there too long and the message is falling on deaf ears. Collingwood made some minor changes to personnel, but a new coach and a new game plan, and by any yard stick 2022 has been a success.

Other teams seem to be able to match them. Hawthorn for example.They are not unbeatable except against us.

Gawn/ Jackson v Oscar McStay
Oliver v Matho
Viney v Lyons
Petracca v Neal

Frequently in sport some teams seem to have the 'wood' over other teams and just lift against the opposition. Melbourne have our measure

Early in the first I thought Melbourne were deliberately leaving a lions player free in the corridor to try to bait us into a ridiculously difficult kick. Either we bomb it forward or take a risk. It was pretty clever and it worked.

Melbourne also just move in waves. It felt like we were running in sand the entire game. Surely that's something we can focus on in the off season. I can't imagine we've just happened to build a list where every single player has below standard running capacities. Maybe it's something that can be changed over the off season.

I was at a wedding and hardly any reception so saw the end score...lucky. Watched the 1st half just to see WTF happened.

Kinda feels like the Demons game style is based on beating our game plan. Our guys understandably want to tackle hard and put the pressure on but you can just see the difference in we're targeting the player with the ball while they just want the ball. We looked like we were just surviving and not sure how to play at all. They were so organised, all the pointing and constant encouragement, everyone just knew what to do at all times. Really impressive to watch...just weird that they've only been like that twice in the past 10 weeks against us.

Lots of our players were made to look really average when they've been in alright form. It's pretty clear that some of our performances against them have left an impact.

I thought Andrews played really well on Gawn. Perhaps that was part of their plan to not allow him to intercept but his body work was right up there.

Lyons setup at the contest as the defensive side midfielder but then chased his played directly into congestion for no reason. He should of been covering the backside of the contest, Neale was in the attacking position at the feet of the ruckman.

Still, it was a terrible bit of play. Where were the defenders pushing up off the back of the stoppage?

Lyons setup at the contest as the defensive side midfielder but then chased his played directly into congestion for no reason. He should of been covering the backside of the contest, Neale was in the attacking position at the feet of the ruckman.

Still, it was a terrible bit of play. Where were the defenders pushing up off the back of the stoppage?

Lyons as the defensively positioned mid at centre bounces kills me. He never had any legs and his game was based on ball winning - why put him in a position where he has to account for opp mids flying through the front of stoppage?

Lyons as the defensively positioned mid at centre bounces kills me. He never had any legs and his game was based on ball winning - why put him in a position where he has to account for opp mids flying through the front of stoppage?
I think the theory is that Neale and McCluggage are meant to hunt the ball and Lyons is (was) the best tackling midfielder we had. His tackles used to hurt, now he's just too slow to stop those runs.

I agree though, I am very unabashedly anti-lyons these days. He was amazing last year, but has been garbage all year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were one of the clubs to borrow money from the AFL during 2020 & 2021.

Part of the conditions of borrowing that money is that the AFL have approve all our expenses.

So the AFL will have to tick off us appealing Rayner’s suspension, as they will be paying for our side of the legal proceedings.
1661052942434.jpeg

What's the chances we'll appeal Rayner's suspension? Absolute BS that Ah Chee still out while Cripps got off with nothing. Surely we've got a case
We have no case, Cripps got off on a technicality based upon the way the Tribunal Chair summed up and instructed the jury. Nothing to do with the actual incident.

Don't think we can play the dogs, Carlton or Richmond

We can and probably will beat all three, none are that good. It’s what’s after that that concerns me.

Everyone is scared of Richmond, but they’ve had a pretty good draw. Remember they’re the only team that lost to North lol (not counting the WAFL team the eagles sent out that week).

It’s pretty hard mentally to get over something like that. Anyone who has played sport professionally or otherwise, knows there are always teams you go up against that in your own mind you know are better than you or you perceive as better than you.

You can go into any game hoping for a different result, but once a team starts like Melbourne did on Friday and going into a game already with the mindset that the task at hand is going to be pretty difficult, then the result is never pretty.

We did it 2020 in the final against Richmond

Cancer would be the one thing I wouldn’t bring into a sledge. Lost a parent to it a couple months ago myself. Goes over and above footy. I’d even excuse dodgy comments about a players sister but not cancer.

2. Zorko the grate

The sledge by Dayne Zorko to Harrison Petty was something like this: I hope your mother dies. It’s far from ideal and the response from the teary Petty naturally sent Melbourne and the AFL into immediate investigative mode and the Lions into immediate apology mode, first on the ground on Friday night and again on Saturday morning via a press release. Zorko is a classic case of white line fever. It is said he is a decent bloke off the field, but on it, and as we’ve all seen, he becomes crazily competitive. Still, hoping someone’s mother dies prompts several questions. 1. Who thinks about saying that to anyone, in any environment? 2. Just because Petty wanted the issue to go no further, why didn’t the AFL punish the Lions captain for conduct unbecoming? 3. Why hasn’t the AFLPA condemned Zorko for his comments? Because if a fan said that to a player via social media, the PA would have kittens. It was appalling from Zorko and there’s no chance he will be captain of the club next year. As for the AFL, they will have their reasons for not punishing him, but they can’t let it go. How can this possibly go unpunished?

“Crazily competitive” Robbo? Nah saying s**t like that makes you sound unhinged especially from a club captain.

Last edited:
How do we roll Carlton.
Carlton almost beat Melbourne.
We are uncompetitive against Melbourne.

I genuinely think people aren't accounting for how much it is mental with this group against the few bogey teams we have.

Back