Review Round 23, 2022 - Brisbane Lions vs. Melbourne

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting to hear Hodgey say that Melbourne are very good on the sledge and that they got quite personal as well. Clearly not to the levels our esteemed captain who went too far..He is very lucky to still be captain and playing this week in my opinion. But I must admit as the match wore on the other night it did seem rather obvious they targeted Zorks and got under his skin. He needs to be better than that especially as captain. If we do play them again this year or even next year they will ramp it up more.

Interesting to hear Hodgey say that Melbourne are very good on the sledge and that they got quite personal as well. Clearly not to the levels our esteemed captain who went too far..He is very lucky to still be captain and playing this week in my opinion. But I must admit as the match wore on the other night it did seem rather obvious they targeted Zorks and got under his skin. He needs to be better than that especially as captain. If we do play them again this year or even next year they will ramp it up more.

Ya no excuse for Zorko, his comments were unacceptable.

Yes, a few media people including nerdling on 360 have indicated that Zorko had been receiving some ordinary personal sledges prior to the comment he made. It’s probably no coincidence neither team wanted to pursue the matter further.

Didn’t see Hodge crying with these personal sledges.
Everyone sledges. Not everyone cries. In fact only one does out of several hundred thousand sledges.

So any on here still want to go as hard as they did on Zorko at the start of the week? Bit of context hey. Poor form from a lot on here.
Yes. I would.

I would like to reiterate that I do not believe Zorko should continue with the captaincy next year. His continued petulant behaviour is something that I am not a fan of at all.

Should the club have to be spending their energy dealing with this he said/she said schoolyard bullshit in the lead up to an era defining final because Zorko worries more about playing the man than the game? Either deal with it firmly but fairly on the ground or think about hanging up the boots because the club looks like a laughing stock.

If you want to shut Mebourne up, beat them.

So any on here still want to go as hard as they did on Zorko at the start of the week? Bit of context hey. Poor form from a lot on here.
Why? Because the emotions have settled, because Zorko has stated it wasn't one way? Nothing has changed in my view, other than it's best to move on and handle any repercussions at the end of finals or even pre-season next year when the playing group gets to decide if they wish for him to be captain again.

None of it forgives him for crossing the line, he himself has said he crossed the line. He is obviously sorry, I think he is also mostly sorry that Petty reacted the way he did and the attention that than surrounded the incident.

Don't pot people on here for calling him out for being a tool. He behaved inappropriately, rightfully got called out by the wider AFL audience and still hasn't even been punished in any capacity. In saying all that, those who clearly are upset with him don't need to come back to the incident until the end of time. Just because those of us upset with him are moving on, doesn't mean it's free time to come in bag those who are upset.

Why? Because the emotions have settled, because Zorko has stated it wasn't one way? Nothing has changed in my view, other than it's best to move on and handle any repercussions at the end of finals or even pre-season next year when the playing group gets to decide if they wish for him to be captain again.

None of it forgives him for crossing the line, he himself has said he crossed the line. He is obviously sorry, I think he is also mostly sorry that Petty reacted the way he did and the attention that than surrounded the incident.

Don't pot people on here for calling him out for being a tool. He behaved inappropriately, rightfully got called out by the wider AFL audience and still hasn't even been punished in any capacity. In saying all that, those who clearly are upset with him don't need to come back to the incident until the end of time. Just because those of us upset with him are moving on, doesn't mean it's free time to come in bag those who are upset.

Zorko has absolutely behaved like a tool this year and in recent years. He's been borderline embarrassing on-field at times. And the initial reports about what happened last Friday were an entirely new level of bad - I genuinely thought he might not play again following those reports.

However, today's news has seen two pretty massive developments:
1) The inference that Petty's Mum isn't sick at all
2) The claim by Caro that what was said to Zorko about the women in his life was more inappropriate than what he said.

If either (and definitely if both) are true, it is an entirely different situation and Zorko deserves many apologies. He has been slammed all week for this from all quarters. Being at the centre of this storm would have been enormously difficult for him and his family. He has given more to the club than anybody over the last decade and that entire legacy he has built has been trashed off the back of this incident.

Certainly on the initial story, those are probably just the consequences of doing something so utterly cruel and inappropriate. But if the truth is quite significantly different to that story (as would be the case if either of those two points are true), then what he has copped has been deeply unfair.

If that is the case, I personally feel quite guilty for joining the mob that wanted him out. We all love a villain and the feeling of self-righteousness it gives us I guess. But a more in-depth consideration of this story would have suggested there was likely more to it, and I feel a little dumb for not really considering that sooner.

Anyway, as I just posted in the main board thread on this, I think we'll all be able to decide for ourselves in the coming days anyway. Seems quite likely some journo is going to get their hands on and run the full truth of the story. It's too juicy now for that not to happen I'd guess. And maybe the initial condemnation of Zorko will end up being vindicated. I just don't think a journalist as rigorous (and as strong on the treatment of women in the game) as Caro would have run with the comments she did tonight if that was the case. Her bit on Footy Classified tonight has changed my position on this entirely.

Zorko has absolutely behaved like a tool this year and in recent years. He's been borderline embarrassing on-field at times. And the initial reports about what happened last Friday were an entirely new level of bad - I genuinely thought he might not play again following those reports.

2) The claim by Caro that what was said to Zorko about the women in his life was more inappropriate than what he said.

If either (and definitely if both) are true, it is an entirely different situation and Zorko deserves many apologies. He has been slammed all week for this from all quarters. Being at the centre of this storm would have been enormously difficult for him and his family. He has given more to the club than anybody over the last decade and that entire legacy he has built has been trashed off the back of this incident.

Certainly on the initial story, those are probably just the consequences of doing something so utterly cruel and inappropriate. But if the truth is quite significantly different to that story (as would be the case if either of those two points are true), then what he has copped has been deeply unfair.

If that is the case, I personally feel quite guilty for joining the mob that wanted him out. We all love a villain and the feeling of self-righteousness it gives us I guess. But a more in-depth consideration of this story would have suggested there was likely more to it, and I feel a little dumb for not really considering that sooner.

Anyway, as I just posted in the main board thread on this, I think we'll all be able to decide for ourselves in the coming days anyway. Seems quite likely some journo is going to get their hands on and run the full truth of the story. It's too juicy now for that not to happen I'd guess. And maybe the initial condemnation of Zorko will end up being vindicated. I just don't think a journalist as rigorous (and as strong on the treatment of women in the game) as Caro would have run with the comments she did tonight if that was the case. Her bit on Footy Classified tonight has changed my position on this entirely.
Great post PK.

Personally I don't believe two wrongs make a right but if both (Or someone from Melbourne) went at eachother with the same level of indignity, than it's hard to only throw stones at one.

I've definitely gone in on Zorko for what was reported, he has clearly said what he said and in my opinion I'm not sure it changes much if Petty's mum is sick or not. So for that I'm still not happy with his actions as a leader at our club but I'm also understanding that there are processes and more to the story than may meet the eye.

As I said in my post above, I think moving on from the issue is the best thing that can be done at the current stage. It allows for time to clear the air, get all the correct facts and more importantly, stop giving it air time for those affected. Put it all on ice, play finals and if there's more to it, deal with it later (If there's a need to).

Respect for Caroline Wilson. So many halfwit reporters gang up and bully someone when there down, particularly when they are from an "insignificant" club like Brisbane, who will just cop it.
Of course there was going to be another side to the story, there always is.
I really hope the team comes out and destroys Richmond next week

Said it elsewhere but will say it here too.

My anger at Zorko is based on numerous reports that Petty’s mum is unwell.

The tears, mays reaction, the serious tone of it all - made perfect sense.

If she is in good health as insinuated by Caro, then Petty crying, the reaction from Dees, Gawns follow up comments, the serious tone in the media, everything really makes ZERO sense.

It is a border line nothing sledge and nothing story if his Mum is not unwell.

I’m so confused.

My feelings exactly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brilliantly said.

Nothings changed? Really, so the fact they were saying what has been described as disgusting comments about women in his life does not give him any grounds to fire back? So Ok for them but not Zorko. Petty doesn’t react the way he did it’s a non story- what if Zorko had reacted like that? Narrative changes doesn’t it.

Nothings changed? Really, so the fact they were saying what has been described as disgusting comments about women in his life does not give him any grounds to fire back? So Ok for them but not Zorko. Petty doesn’t react the way he did it’s a non story- what if Zorko had reacted like that? Narrative changes doesn’t it.
Zorko would've been told to suck it up by the media if he'd reacted the way Petty did. His reputation among the footballing community has ensured that any incidents involving him will be immediately looked at through the lens of "what did Zorko do this time?".

Maybe he could have been the bigger person, instead of resorting to say what he said.

This is getting into schoolyard territory of he called me a name so I called him a name. It’s childish for our 33 year old captain to return serve in the manner he did, even if provoked. Hence why he apologised.

What Petty said to Zorko to warrant the response is probably awful and he should feel like he is to blame for all of this as well but he also isn’t the captain setting an example.

Both are in the wrong. Zorko is not suddenly a victim though.

What a bitterly disappointing performance to witness in what was my first attendance at the Gabba. Knowing the match was over at quarter time and witnessing an eerily similar demolition job earlier in the year at the MCG left me feeling embarrassed to be Lions supporter for the first time in a long time.

I did not expect us to win as I could not envision how we could overcome Melbourne's midfield dominance, however to simply roll over and not compete, especially on the big stage was unforgiveable. Then to experience the fallout with Zorko and suspensions to Rayner and Answerth was the cream on op of a terrible night for the club (my thoughts on the incident will follow).

The performance left me questioning the cohesion of our team, coaching staff and strategy (or lack thereof) that has left us vulnerable to better teams particularly, the Dees. Sharing the views with many on this forum, I have felt for a long time that the cracks have been covered for a long time as we have enjoyed a reasonably soft draw this season.

I have found it disconcerting that we insisted on playing in the same ineffective manner as we did last time we played the Dees at the MCG (i.e. bomb it to May and Lever). I realised this has nothing to do with centre clearances, which was my primary concern given our lack of speed and ability to spread from the contest. This is unforgiveable given we are already at a clear disadvantage when the likes of Oliver, Petracca, Viney etc. bully and dominate our older and/or slower mids.

This lack of strategy or ability to arrest Melbourne's onslaught left me feeling quite helpless and resigned to the fact that it clearly won't be our year unless we can somehow avoid Melbourne in the finals. However this thought allowed me to contemplate the positives.

We are a good football team. Although we have not performed at our best throughout the year, for the most part, we have got the job done. Save for our losses to Melbourne, we have shown an ability to compete, and importantly, win against quality opposition.

We fell just short of Geelong at Kardinia Park and Fremantle at Optus in what are arguably the toughest road trips in football. If it wasn't for a Hawkins push on Andrews in the closing stages, the result might have been different against the Cats.

The victories against Collingwood (home) and Sydney (away) are most impressive given their respective performances throughout the season (i.e. top 4 sides) and the fact they challenged us at various stages throughout each match.

Strong performances against decent challengers in Richmond (away), Western Bulldogs (home) and Carlton (home), which despite seeing large margins diminished, were promising in the circumstances.

I'm happy to excuse the losses against lesser lights in Hawthorn and Essendon given they were close, in Tassie and/or impacted by Covid.

When you review our side on the finals roadmap, it appears we can potentially avoid Melbourne until the big dance. Should results fall as expected, we may very well find ourselves in a semi-final against Sydney at the SCG - a mountain we have previously conquered this season (albeit not a final). From there, anything is possible.

Although we will need to do it the hard way, I welcome the challenge of the upcoming finals series and see it as a huge opportunity to galvanise the group, break the (overstated) MCG 'hoodoo', and give our young group invaluable finals experience against quality opposition in hostile conditions.

In saying that, I would be bitterly disappointed if we could not get the job done against Richmond at the Gabba, however I sincerely hope recent events and the break are enough to galvanise the playing and coaching groups to get the job done at the pointy end.

The Zorko Incident

I'll admit - I initially picked up the pitchfork and saw red when I first heard about Zorko's alleged sledge. I imagine my emotive response (as well as many other Lions fans') was heightened by the recent dismal performance against Melbourne and the general frustration with Zorko's recent form and undisciplined on-field acts.

There is no denying that Zorko must lift as a leader immediately if we are to succeed. However, it has become apparent that calls for a life suspension/stripping the captaincy are hysterical.

This entire situation has been filled with a myriad of speculation as to what was said and to whom. The AFL, Brisbane and Melbourne don't want to touch this with a 10-foot pole, and probably for good reason. Caroline Wilson's comments on Footy Classified last night has at least shed light that Zorko may not have been the primary instigator of this.

My take (and further fuelling the speculation), is that there was some fairly derogatory back and forth between Zorko and the Dees that was personal in nature. It is likely that the comments revolved around women, with all parties concerned keen to move on given the public relations shiitstorm that would ensue, particularly on the eve of the AFLW season.

Whilst I do not condone highly offensive sledging, you are burying your head in the sand if you don't believe it happens regularly in this high-performance environment. As Gerard Whateley said on AFL360, sportspeople have never been able to properly judge the 'line'. On balance, whatever Zorko said was probably fairly mild in comparison to the vitriol that most players spew on a weekly basis.

Let's lay down the pitchforks and back our skipper now that we've had a chance to compose ourselves. Hopefully for the club's sake, the playing group can do this as well.

Last edited:
Strangest week being a lions fan in a long time.

Hopefully this event can get our firey little captain even more fired up to play his best game next week and inspire the team to take down the Tigers.

What a bitterly disappointing performance to witness in what was my first attendance at the Gabba. Knowing the match was over at quarter time and witnessing an eerily similar demolition job earlier in the year at the MCG left me feeling embarrassed to be Lions supporter for the first time in a long time.

I did not expect us to win as I could not envision how we could overcome Melbourne's midfield dominance, however to simply roll over and not compete, especially on the big stage was unforgiveable. Then to experience the fallout with Zorko and suspensions to Rayner and Answerth was the cream on op of a terrible night for the club (my thoughts on the incident will follow).

The performance left me questioning the cohesion of our team, coaching staff and strategy (or lack thereof) that has left us vulnerable to better teams particularly, the Dees. Sharing the views with many on this forum, I have felt for a long time that the cracks have been covered for a long time as we have enjoyed a reasonably soft draw this season.

I have found it disconcerting that we insisted on playing in the same ineffective manner as we did last time we played the Dees at the MCG (i.e. bomb it to May and Lever). I realised this has nothing to do with centre clearances, which was my primary concern given our lack of speed and ability to spread from the contest. This is unforgiveable given we are already at a clear disadvantage when the likes of Oliver, Petracca, Viney etc. bully and dominate our older and/or slower mids.

This lack of strategy or ability to arrest Melbourne's onslaught left me feeling quite helpless and resigned to the fact that it clearly won't be our year unless we can somehow avoid Melbourne in the finals. However this thought allowed me to contemplate the positives.

We are a good football team. Although we have not performed at our best throughout the year, for the most part, we have got the job done. Save for our losses to Melbourne, we have shown an ability to compete, and importantly, win against quality opposition.

We fell just short of Geelong at Kardinia Park and Fremantle at Optus in what are arguably the toughest road trips in football. If it wasn't for a Hawkins push on Andrews in the closing stages, the result might have been different against the Cats.

The victories against Collingwood (home) and Sydney (away) are most impressive given their respective performances throughout the season (i.e. top 4 sides) and the fact they challenged us at various stages throughout each match.

Strong performances against decent challengers in Richmond (away), Western Bulldogs (home) and Carlton (home), which despite seeing large margins diminished, were promising in the circumstances.

I'm happy to excuse the losses against lesser lights in Hawthorn and Essendon given they were close, in Tassie and/or impacted by Covid.

When you review our side on the finals roadmap, it appears we can potentially avoid Melbourne until the big dance. Should results fall as expected, we may very well find ourselves in a semi-final against Sydney at the SCG - a mountain we have previously conquered this season (albeit not a final). From there, anything is possible.

Although we will need to do it the hard way, I welcome the challenge of the upcoming finals series and see it as a huge opportunity to galvanise the group, break the (overstated) MCG 'hoodoo', and give our young group invaluable finals experience against quality opposition in hostile conditions.

In saying that, I would be bitterly disappointed if we could not get the job done against Richmond at the Gabba, however I sincerely hope recent events and the break are enough to galvanise the playing and coaching groups to get the job done at the pointy end.

The Zorko Incident

I'll admit - I initially picked up the pitchfork and saw red when I first heard about Zorko's alleged sledge. I imagine my emotive response (as well as many other Lions fans') was heightened by the recent dismal performance against Melbourne and the general frustration with Zorko's recent form and undisciplined on-field acts.

There is no denying that Zorko must lift as a leader immediately if we are to succeed. However, it has become apparent that calls for a life suspension/stripping the captaincy are hysterical.

This entire situation has been filled with a myriad of speculation as to what was said and to whom. The AFL, Brisbane and Melbourne don't want to touch this with a 10-foot pole, and probably for good reason. Caroline Wilson's comments on Footy Classified last night has at least shed light that Zorko may not have been the primary instigator of this.

My take (and further fuelling the speculation), is that there was some fairly derogatory back and forth between Zorko and the Dees that was personal in nature. It is likely that the comments revolved around women, with all parties concerned keen to move on given the public relations shiitstorm that would ensue, particularly on the eve of the AFLW season.

Whilst I do not condone highly offensive sledging, you are burying your head in the sand if you don't believe it happens regularly in this high-performance environment. As Gerard Whateley said on AFL360, sportspeople have never been able to properly judge the 'line'. On balance, whatever Zorko said was probably fairly mild in comparison to the vitriol that most players spew on a weekly basis.

Let's lay down the pitchforks and back our skipper now that we've had a chance to compose ourselves. Hopefully for the club's sake, the playing group can do this as well.
Sorry to hear your first attendance at the Gabba was so miserable FW.

And nice to see it acknowledged what's said on the ground every week.

The reaction to Petty's reaction actually had me a bit stunned for a couple of days. Fuelled by SM and media, people just lost their heads. It shows the power of image through communication platforms today where everyone however stupid ,angry ,biased or ill informed gets a say.

I was bitterly disappointed after this game but going to try to keep it positive. The sting has certainly come out of it after a week. Let's see how the team responds, only upside after that smashing

The Zorko Incident

Thank you for your insightful analysis.

The pile on against Dane Zorko has been exposed as a fraud. You don't get people like Caro and Ross Lyon in your corner as an "interstater" without a very large kernel of truth to what they are saying

Now, right at this point in time, I am 100% behind Dane Zorko but it comes with a rider

Please Dane, put your head down this game, forget the niggley crap and inspire your team like your life depends on it.

No sledging, no giving away silly 50's, no reactionary bullshit.

You are an amazingly skilful player so go and out and play!

Last edited:
Wing AttendanceRound 23MelbourneGabba
Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bailey
3​
1​
2​
1​
5​
2​
2​
16​
27.59%​
Berry
4​
3​
1​
5​
3​
2​
18​
31.03%​
Prior
1​
4​
3​
2​
6​
1​
17​
29.31%​
McCluggage
1​
1​
2​
3.45%​
McStay
1​
1​
1.72%​
Robinson
2​
2​
4​
6.90%​

The pile on against Dane Zorko has been exposed as a fraud. You don't get people like Caro and Ross Lyon in your corner as an "interstater" without a very large kernel of truth to what they are saying

Now, right at this point in time, I am 100% behind Dane Zorko but it comes with a rider

Please Dane, put your head down this game, forget the niggley crap and inspire your team like your life depends on it.

He has to.

It's hard not to think as a club we're a bit soft.

Once Petty cried we let Melbourne walk all over us ,were contrite , investigated' ,apologised , and just played ball then had to suffer more abuse as Gawn shat in our face 3 days later. When we knew we could have buried Melbourne with all of the non AFL media ,shock jocks ,ABC and the rest calling for the suspension of several of their players. All we had to do was back our player from the start.

But we towed the AFL line 'for the good of the game' .Sadly the stench of it all publicly will still stay with us ,not Melbourne.

I said the same thing to the lads before the kick off at the Melb. game.
We need Zorko to forget the crap and put his head down, hmm, total opposite.
hopefully he has had a lesson and this time we get the prime mover we will need.

Back