Autopsy Round 23, 2022: Dogs beat Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

A game that reflects our season a bit: competitive and in the contest all day but never really looked like winning; Sicily a class level above his teammates; some encouraging signs from some young players; but in the end just not enough class players and too many basic skill errors.

Not great, but not too bad, and pretty much what I expected.

IN
Lewis
Koschitzke
Reeves
Bramble
Jiath
Wingard
Impey
Brockman*
Amon*
Pick 6

That solves the lack speed and skill in the best 22. There is plenty of upside. There’s definitely room for both Reeves and Lynch to play together next year.

Ward, MacDonald, Maginness, DGB, Long, Saunders, Blanck - that's 7 out of 22 - have played less than 80 games between them. Against a finals contender and the expected reaming from the maggots.

Things are not as dark as some of you are suggesting.

DGB best game for the season. I actually thought he was doing ok on Lynch last week, but was unlucky. Saw what he was capable of today. Maginness also great. Probably the most improved this season.

Midfield needs a shake up badly. Big decisions need to be made with Worpel, Mitchell, Omeara. Be happy to see 2 of the 3 go.

IN:
Lewis
Koschitzke
Reeves
Bramble
Jiath
Wingard
Impey
Brockman*
Amon*
Pick 6

That solves the lack speed and skill in the best 22. There is plenty of upside. There’s definitely room for both Reeves and Lynch to play together next year.
And Worpel

Aww thanks for everything BigBoy!
Enjoy the farm life.
Great to see Spangher there at the end too 💛

Good to see a plethora of new/young faces this year. Enjoy the well-earned break fellas before preseason kicks in again.

And well done Mitch on your first year as coach.

Go Hawks!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great career BB .

Thought we had a real dip with a very young side in .
Saunders had a good one , DGB played one of his better games , Moore again and Finn finished off a really positive back end of season for him.

Been a real fun season , with some highs and decent lows . But feel we are on track to becoming a very decent side in the near future .

DGB was excellent.
As was Ward.

I liked Newcombe going head to head with Bont. Bont had the chocolates but kept him honest. Just the 20 touches and made him earn everyone. Would have learned plenty from that.

Moore played more HFF today than mid. We really need two of him. Very good game. Classic Moorey game from earlier in the season. Lots of release marks and hitting the scoreboard.

Finn with another victory. Put the clamps on Libba in the last as well.

Saunders and Long showed something we could work with.

Thought it was Day's best game all year.

Very good display from the youngins.

We put out a young team comparative to the rest of the league. And it was always going to be tough ask to beat the dogs.

We also had nothing to play for but that was still a terrible midfield performance. Ward the only one who can hold his head high.

Mitchell with a down game but still had half our centre clearances. And we won the hit outs as well.

As with the other 21 games this season, midfield was the issue. 6 centre clearances. Mitchell will get criticism but he won half of them while not spending a lot of the time in there
I dont care how many clearances you win, no good in winning clearances when you just lollipop them 40 meters in the air to no advantage. It means nothing, where as when Newcombe gets a clearance for eg more times than not it eventuates to a scoring shot. More clearances that are meaningful and lead to a positive outcome.

Although the ladder doesnt necessarily reflect it, i think this year should be a pass.

We've got proven development coming through, play a game style that is 10x better than what we have served up 3-4 years prior and seem to have the stepping stones to look towards a top 8 finish next year or the one after
A pass based on what we have. I don't think we could have expected much better and some good stepping stones with developing players. 13th is 13th but i'm hoping next year sees us pushing close to the 8. Will need a lot of improvement in the midfield for that to be realistic as we just fall down in that part of the ground most weeks, including today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back