Autopsy Round 23, 2022: St.Kilda v Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

He throws himself around to look tough when at Freo he was on his bike waiting outside to take the ball and run. We use him in a way he's not suited to. We took a pure outside player and tried to turn him into something he isn't.
We seem to use him as an extra at stoppage on the wings as well, which I find quiet bizarre.

Crouch has had his best ever season. Just as a guide to how good the season he's had, he finishes the home and away at 12 in the AFL in total Dreamteam points. Above guys like Cripps, Walsh, Bont, Wines etc.

I think I tend to agree more with the AFL player ratings. They have:

1. Sinclair - 15.0
2. Ross - 12.6
3. Steele - 12.6
4. Marshall - 12.2
5. Gresham - 11.0

Crouch has been good, but is listed as 74th if you look league wide.

Kinda matches the eye test which is that he is an above average player - but not super damaging.

1. Sinclair - 15.0
2. Ross - 12.6
3. Steele - 12.6
4. Marshall - 12.2
5. Gresham - 11.0

Kinda matches the eye test which is that he is an above average player - but not super damaging.

Crouch is comfortably going to be top 3 B&F along with Sinclair and probably Seb Ross this season. Steele and Wilkie rounding out the top 5.

1. Sinclair - 15.0
2. Ross - 12.6
3. Steele - 12.6
4. Marshall - 12.2
5. Gresham - 11.0

The way footy is played has changed up recently wth long kicking and less possessions so we look a bit over represented potentially but as far as how we play Crouch has been huge. He plays a very two way game with high tackles and runs heaps. He really couldn't do much more. We have a few too many of those inside/outside types who aren't particularly contested in tight but can spread..... just as the inside ball winners have come back into fashion.

Matt Crouch would actually suit how modern footy is played as the more inside extractor of the two.

The way footy is played has changed up recently wth long kicking and less possessions so we look a bit over represented potentially but as far as how we play Crouch has been huge. He plays a very two way game with high tackles and runs heaps. He really couldn't do much more. We have a few too many of those inside/outside types who aren't particularly contested in tight but can spread..... just as the inside ball winners have come back into fashion.

Matt Crouch would actually suit how modern footy is played as the more inside extractor of the two.
De Goey + Matt Crouch would certainly set us up to be super competitive in the midfield.. + natural improvement from Windhager, Owens etc.

Long got the Sydney guy flush in the face. Might have got some of the ball as well but from the angle on the wing, he got a lot of face.

Went back to watch it again, nah, I'm still seeing the perfect spoil, happens a dozen times a match. No face at all. Shouldn't have even been a free kick. It's discrimination, the umpire paying what he hasn't seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went back to watch it again, nah, I'm still seeing the perfect spoil, happens a dozen times a match. No face at all. Shouldn't have even been a free kick. It's discrimination, the umpire paying what he hasn't seen.

Reckon it is a free kick at a pinch, definetly as it was Ben Long.

No way is it reportable.

Looked like he got him flush in the face at the ground. There was no shock to anyone sitting around me that Long got reported for it.

Saying there is any type of discrimination at play is being completely ridiculous.

Really couldn't have done more to make it less painful. Hits him with the soft part of his arm and gets a heap of ball. Actually looks like what you do to do the least damage. The umpire has just guessed that because it's Longy that he had some malice or ill intent.

Looked like he got him flush in the face at the ground. There was no shock to anyone sitting around me that Long got reported for it.

Saying there is any type of discrimination at play is being completely ridiculous.

Well there is discrimination because he's guessed what he saw rather than what actually happened due to Long's history.

Well there is discrimination because he's guessed what he saw rather than what actually happened due to Long's history.
Or because in real time, it looked like to got in flush in the face and Umpires are told to report players for such actions as a way to stop retaliation from the other party.

Hilarious that we recruited Hanners, got nothing out of him, then pushed him into retirement just as his body was coming good enough for 10-15 games a year. I think he should be on the rookie list next year, but I guess we’ll never know. So St Kilda.
Agree
Decent performance the summed up our year - we do a lot of things well but just don't have the class and polish to compete with the best.

- I'm happy Hanners got to finish on a high note. Every time he played for us, you could see why we brought him in and the skill that he has.

- Best game of Long's career.

- Sinclair deserves to be the first named half-back in the AA team. Put an exclamation mark on a brilliant season by showing that tagger you can't stop him twice. What a great way to respond to being shut down in our first meeting this year.

- King is going to be the best player in the comp in a few years time. He will be unstoppable. He will have games where he kicks terribly again but that doesn't mean he needs to go to the VFL or be tried in defence. After all the focus on his kicking last week, to come out and end the season with a great kicking night will do heaps for his confidence over the preseason.

- Clark really needs some luck with his body.

- NWM, Owens, Windy. They are going to be a special trio for us.
Agree -Hanners would have been the perfect fit even at 15 games a year -the problem i see with Clark he doessnt appear to have any physical strengh still got a teenagers body or not even

I think the descrimination isn’t racial though, it’s st Kilda and Ben Long. Ie if it’s Carlton/Dogs or Swans gets off every day of the week

It probably isn't but you'd love to do the stats on how many indigenous guys get reported/suspended over non indigenous players. It could be coincidental and we seem to have had an over supply of our boys recently, just as a vibe they seem over represented.

My take is that it looked easily bad enough for a free and the umpire panicked and said he's reported to calm the ensuing biffo. I have no issue with that, but if he's given weeks then yeah it's discrimination and another disgraceful MRP call.

Nah, he didn't call it. It's clear in his interview after the game - he says "when I got told my time was up". The club pushed him out. Personally I reckon that's a bad call, we slogged through four years with him and there's a real chance he could be a serious contributor next year - and now we give u

It's a toss up but given the lack of mental strength and leadership in the group, I think it would be minimal opportunity cost to have him on the rookie list running around mostly in the twos for $200k or whatever.
100% agree

Remove this Banner Ad

Back