Review Round 23, 2023 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I was so mad lol. Charlie was right there for the handball too.

Charlie put on a great block for Eric.

Charlie will let players know if they didn't pass and he was best option. In this case he didn't.

Eric did the right thing and Charlie was the perfect team first player..

Charlie will let players know if they didn't pass and he was best option. In this case he didn't.

I think it was the (what seemed like) unnecessary bounce which was the main issues

Eric Hipwood's laser like kick from the back of a wing into the centre square to Zorko who handballed to a running McCluggage who then delivered to Charlie in F50 was a thing of beauty.

yummy-nick-jonas.gif

Eric Hipwood's laser like kick from the back of a wing into the centre square to Zorko who handballed to a running McCluggage who then delivered to Charlie in F50 was a thing of beauty.

yummy-nick-jonas.gif

Eric's second half was elite.

+4000 instagram followers in 3 hours lol

And people say Wilmot is an attention grabbing playing.

He's going to up his game immediately.

I feel a little bit sorry for Dev. In the middle of an intense game, heat of the moment (well, two minutes) and he is now part of history.

he did look to the boundary a couple of times - looking to see his number bring held up to come to the bench.

The bench were stuffing around with a gps. Might not totally be on Dev.

Last edited:
I really hope Dev hangs around next year. He got caught a couple of times last night, which I thought was a bit unlucky and he will never be a “star”, but I like what he offers this group defensively and I think we have more depth through the middle when he plays that role.
At least Dev being caught meant the ball was in his hands in the middle. A big step up on what we saw in the middle against Freo for example.
I really liked what i saw from Dev last night. I hope it was enough for him to hold his spot through the finals and he re-signs.

Watching on the tv, I was surprised to hear the lions chant quite early in the match. It was my understanding that this chant comes out after the fat lady has sung!

Liiiooonnnnsss had disappeared from the gabba. We try, but falls flat.

Hope it comes back for the finals.

How good was it seeing Charlie Cameron go back and help out in defence

And Jo. He’s mentally different this year. His defence at crucial times this year has been important.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We, who are not uncritical Rayner fans, want to know how we can get more games like last night.

That's the frustrating part.

Let's see if Gunston being out releases the Rayner

Simple. No gunston and rayner has a role that suits him better.

They use a lot of hand ball to get out of congestion and then they are away. There was one point in the game when they kicked 4 goals in 5 minutes and it was clinical . You could not do a thing about it.

I was also really impressed with Lyon when he came onto the ground as the tactical sub his footwork was sublime and disposal and decision making A grade. I reckon he has earnt his spot.
A few things on the Pies 4 goal burst:
  • this was when Cox came on. He was fresh and dominated Oscar.
  • Pendlebury had a purple patch. He was directly involved in at leat 3 of those goals.
  • i’m pretty sure we were playing a man down at this stage. They were still trying to get Cal going and he clearly couldn’t move.

I watched the replay after i got home last night. I didn’t realise the pies got within a kick! Fantastic from our boys to regain control and kick back out to a 5 goal lead from there.

I too thought Lyons was very good as sub. I know there’s sentiment, but he’s been such a good player for our team since he came across. We can’t gift games on sentiment, but i would love him to hold his place and be part of September.

I really hope Dev hangs around next year. He got caught a couple of times last night, which I thought was a bit unlucky and he will never be a “star”, but I like what he offers this group defensively and I think we have more depth through the middle when he plays that role.
Des Headland vibes, hope this one stays

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Jo. He’s mentally different this year. His defence at crucial times this year has been important.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Joe makes me think of all the plaudits that have been heaped on Cotchin and Riewoldt this week. Once they learnt the didn’t have to be individual superstars they improved.
Joe looks the same this year - he doing so much for the team, and has not had any of the sulky moments he was accused of in the past.

I’m just back from the Brunswick St Oval where the players were running a clinic for the kids. I complimented Eric on that goal and mentioned Charlie’s shepherd and he laughed and said Cameron was calling for the hand pass all the way in.

Collingwood being 12 points down at 3/4 time was set up for these comebacks we keep hearing about (think they showed in the coverage that they'd won 13 of the last 18 after trailing at 3/4 time or along those lines). Coming off two 6 day breaks (Perth to Brisbane to Melbourne) and up against a side who hadn't travelled for a month, I thought we ran out the game well.

A few things on the Pies 4 goal burst:
  • this was when Cox came on. He was fresh and dominated Oscar.
  • Pendlebury had a purple patch. He was directly involved in at leat 3 of those goals.
  • i’m pretty sure we were playing a man down at this stage. They were still trying to get Cal going and he clearly couldn’t move.

I watched the replay after i got home last night. I didn’t realise the pies got within a kick! Fantastic from our boys to regain control and kick back out to a 5 goal lead from there.

I too thought Lyons was very good as sub. I know there’s sentiment, but he’s been such a good player for our team since he came across. We can’t gift games on sentiment, but i would love him to hold his place and be part of September.
Regarding that Pies 4 goal period.
The commentary team mentioned those four Pie goals resulted from just 13 disposals.
That is very unlikely to happen again.
Still, you can't go to sleep for any period of an AFL game.
We replied with the next two goals so than helped settle thing down.

Luke hodge asked if any player would make us better.. and he said Gunston very important for our structure and he would be a straight in if he recovers. If we make a grand final and Gunston somehow recovers and has played no games

I hope fagan does not bring him straight in . Our pressure and ball movement looked so much better.
Agree. Interesting they scored 82 points from ground ball. This doesn't happen when Gunton is in the side as he can no longer compete at ground level. We are better as a unit without him.

Like Fages mentioned when we played Melbourne, some games you have to win twice. When they were coming in the third we had to win the game again and we did. Very even effort across the board and we can still improve a lot we gave away too many easy goals.

Hippy owned flog Maynard in the 2nd half
When are the umps going to start penalising that faux tough guy docuhe Maynard with his antics towards them umps.

Harris sticks his arms out and not say a word - "arms out mate is 50" yet Maynard can lose his brain, arms flailing, bossing the umps around and throwing the toys out of the comp and NOTHING!

This is the new Adelaide power stance that we will be adopting while the national anthem is sung before finals games.

F3z1oQXbkAAu2Ca

Dev's trade value just rocketed from a mid second round to a mid first round pick. :);)

When are the umps going to start penalising that faux tough guy docuhe Maynard with his antics towards them umps.

Harris sticks his arms out and not say a word - "arms out mate is 50" yet Maynard can lose his brain, arms flailing, bossing the umps around and throwing the toys out of the comp and NOTHING!
Dev through his torn shirt off in disgust over an umpiring decision and didn’t get a 50.

Back