Review Round 23, 2023 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

A few things on the Pies 4 goal burst:
  • this was when Cox came on. He was fresh and dominated Oscar.
  • Pendlebury had a purple patch. He was directly involved in at leat 3 of those goals.
  • i’m pretty sure we were playing a man down at this stage. They were still trying to get Cal going and he clearly couldn’t move.

I watched the replay after i got home last night. I didn’t realise the pies got within a kick! Fantastic from our boys to regain control and kick back out to a 5 goal lead from there.

I too thought Lyons was very good as sub. I know there’s sentiment, but he’s been such a good player for our team since he came across. We can’t gift games on sentiment, but i would love him to hold his place and be part of September.

Yeah Cal was on the field for those 4 goals, so we were essentially a man down in the middle. JL came on after the 4th and that’s when we kicked another

Joe makes me think of all the plaudits that have been heaped on Cotchin and Riewoldt this week. Once they learnt the didn’t have to be individual superstars they improved.
Joe looks the same this year - he doing so much for the team, and has not had any of the sulky moments he was accused of in the past.
I just love our Joe he is so fun to watch .
Just adds that X factor to the team and he looks like he is enjoying his footy which is great ,

He actually did have an impact when he came into the game. I think whether he comes into the 22 will depend partly on Ah Chee and McCarthy's situations. I'd still be a little uncomfortable starting Neale, Dunkley and Lyons in the centre square all at once, remembering that next time we play Collingwood they will likely be stronger in there, and Melbourne and Port are considerably more potent in this regard. So are Carlton for that matter.
He provides a quick inside first-possession release to get the ball outside to the runners. Credit to him for maintaining his form and composure after Ashcroft was clearly preferred. Team player.

I thought along with Cal, Oscar was BOG in the first quarter and then after that I have no idea what happened. He got outplayed by Cox when he came on, which is a bit of a worry as we look towards finals.
He seems to rely on his height ( duh ! ) so when Cox .. or Gawn ( groan ) .. out-reaches, he has no plan b. We should try and do better imo.

I really hope Dev hangs around next year. He got caught a couple of times last night, which I thought was a bit unlucky and he will never be a “star”, but I like what he offers this group defensively and I think we have more depth through the middle when he plays that role.
Time to become the next Mitch Robbo - full white line fever and really get stuck in. Start with fierce tackling and hard running to assist .. and see what happens.

We, who are not uncritical Rayner fans, want to know how we can get more games like last night.

That's the frustrating part.

Let's see if Gunston being out releases the Rayner
He loves sitting on heads .. and one day he will take that speccie. Meanwhile just keep imposing on the contest and playing that tall forward / pack-crashing role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK reading this thread is doing my head in. What’s with this positiveness? What the F%^&.
I am not used to such exaltations of my club.
Where’s the sack Fagan mob, where’s the “our assistants suck and we need new voices?” What the f%$^.

I miss the good old days of coming here and be bathed in pessimism, spew and Fagan pet-ism.

Homer Simpson GIF

And for some balance.
Just wait 1 week when our tummies are full of bathwater and the Saints go marching in.

At least Dev being caught meant the ball was in his hands in the middle. A big step up on what we saw in the middle against Freo for example.
I really liked what i saw from Dev last night. I hope it was enough for him to hold his spot through the finals and he re-signs.
We all saw what a decent "Rig" Dev has .....now put it to advantage and develop a decent fend.

Zorkos form has been good over the past three weeks with the Pies game being the best of those.
However, he once again provided a brain fade with a scoop free against in the Pies goal square resulting in a goal.
We really need him to have a good final series so let's hope he hold his form or gets better.
Baring the 2 injured players and the sub, Zorko 74% and Coleman 72% had the lowest TOG.
Coleman arguably Best for Lions and Zorko in the best 8 or so.

Zorkos form has been good over the past three weeks with the Pies game being the best of those.
However, he once again provided a brain fade with a scoop free against in the Pies goal square resulting in a goal.
We really need him to have a good final series so let's hope he hold his form or gets better.
Baring the 2 injured players and the sub, Zorko 74% and Coleman 72% had the lowest TOG.
You see players doing that occasionally in those type of situations, it has got me beat why players don't go with a clenched fist, can not be penalized for a fist.

His disposal when under zero pressure is excellent but consistently poor when under pressure

I am imagining whether it would be better to beat them in a grand final with a kick after the siren OR flog them by 100 points in a grand final.
Flog them. Eddie having a face like a smacked arse before half the is good for football.

Seriously I am happy for Fly and his success with them but beating Collingwood is always good.

Back