Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
. Let’s bring in the kids and experiment a bit. Try some crazy things like putting Blakely and Cerra in the middle.

Blakley and Cerra in the middle? You
Must be smoking some serious crack.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nup, I'm gonna go against the grain here and say no debuts. Sending in the kids for 1 game at the end of the season when the year is over to get smashed in Adelaide isn't a debut it's a hiding to nothing. Think about the debuts we had when we tanked those final rounds a few years ago, did that really help any careers? Don't think so.

Getting a 1 game look in at someone in an away dead rubber isn't an accurate look at them especially if theres a number of debutants and the team is too young to function properly and gets belted. It doesn't help anyone except Ross who can quote debut statistics a few months down the track to make it look like we were actually rebuilding this year.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
Nup, I'm gonna go against the grain here and say no debuts. Sending in the kids for 1 game at the end of the season when the year is over to get smashed in Adelaide isn't a debut it's a hiding to nothing. Think about the debuts we had when we tanked those final rounds a few years ago, did that really help any careers? Don't think so.

Getting a 1 game look in at someone in an away dead rubber isn't an accurate look at them especially if theres a number of debutants and the team is too young to function properly and gets belted. It doesn't help anyone except Ross who can quote debut statistics a few months down the track to make it look like we were actually rebuilding this year.

I’m onboard with what your saying. But I’d still like to see 1 debut. Probably Dixon to be honest.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

Ethan Hughes did much better than expected and ended up on the senior list the next year.

Blakely has played a fair bit of senior footy but has it helped him - I wouldn’t say so.

So just Hughes really. Most of the guys who were debuted in those games barely got another crack.

jock graeme

Rookie
Aug 26, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
You bring in the players you need to fill the vacant positions. In choosing those players you look to the now and the future. Obviously, you have to take into account player's performances at Peel but I would be very, very careful about placing much importance on performances there. I have watched the replays of the last five Peel games. Watched Saturday's live. The team unsurprisingly has a similar game plan to Fremantle. Not unlike Fremantle, Peel do not have the skills to execute the plan which is based around defence and possession. The Peel players' skills are nowhere the level of Fremantle players' skills. When this is added to a team where there is no cohesion, limited pride in the jumper, ever-changing personnel, poor coaching, etc the result is an absolute shambles. The ball is moved very, very slowly and is continually delivered high into pack situations. There is no leading. There is no room to lead into. There is little clean possession. There are very few players with the skill to kick to a leading player in any event. The only people that can do well for Peel are people that win the contested ball. Cam Macarthy's performance on the weekend for Fremantle is a case in point. He did not have a kick on goal the previous week for Peel and had no impact on the game at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jock graeme

Rookie
Aug 26, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
No idea what will drive team selection. Old players, new players, minimise loss and stay defensive, increase risk and attack. It will be interesting. Ross obviously placed huge importance on effort, hard work, loyalty and the tried, rather than natural ability, flare and the new. I have no problem with that to an extent. Problem with Ross's approach was that he did very little to motivate the young, and often immature players with the natural ability to train harder, prepare better and improve their effort, training and input so they could step up.

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens
We are going to be spanked, if you thought the players were checked out last week, well....

100 points or more I’m tipping.
don't think we'll win as we are just missing too many key personnel. However, many of these guys will be playing for their jobs and any assurances they felt they had with Lyon have gone out the window so I expect them to come out firing. Plus Hale gets one go at showcasing what he can do, Fyfe may be playing for a Brownlow, and Walters must be feeling embarassed by that staging fine so it will be interesting.

Jun 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Really happy for Hale to get a chance at the helm.

Win or lose we’re guaranteed to see a different game style this week.

Wouldn't bank on that, Hale has been under Ross Lyon for the entirety of his assistant coaching career. I would hope he would want to put his best foot forward and make some changes to the style and player positions however far from a guarantee.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wouldn't bank on that, Hale has been under Ross Lyon for the entirety of his assistant coaching career. I would hope he would want to put his best foot forward and make some changes to the style and player positions however far from a guarantee.

Ross is very dogmatic in his preferred style from all accounts. I’m sure Hale would have some ideas and philosophy’s that weren’t adopted by Ross.

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Really happy for Hale to get a chance at the helm.

Win or lose we’re guaranteed to see a different game style this week.

Pretty ambitious to think that the guy who has been out of his depth his entire coaching career is capable of doing this. If we win it has nothing to do with Hale, if we lose it has nothing to do with Hale. The outcome of this game depends on the players. Hale is only there to steer the system they already know for another 4 quarters of football.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hale coaching...

We're going to be the only club who loses after replacing their coach this year aren't we.

Interim coaches are overrated imo.

Who cares how many wins they get in their first year when another bloke has already been sacked (basically meaning the season is done before hand).

Name one who’s actually lasted. The most recent one I can think of is Paul Roos and he’s got to be 16-17 years ago.

wild side

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I reckon the playing group might fire up for a change.
Especially the ones that Ross has been loyal too, and have been given leave passes.
Freo by 30, then Hinckley joins the departed.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
We don't move much on the ladder if we win unless North Melbourne lose to Melbourne, but there's a possibility that St Kilda can beat Sydney and we can drop a spot to 14th.

May as well give the youngsters a run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back