Preview Round 23: Changes Vs Port Adelaide + Pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Port will need % to get in to 8, so I'd say we are going to get hammered.
Hopefully it kills off most of our inept assistant coaches, our inept S & C people, and our inept CEO.
Lyon gets a leave pass, but the pressure will arc up in 2020 for him

I just want to say about what an absolutely raw deal Cam McCarthy has copped this year, he’s now third on our total goals this year having played only 11 games.

He’s been more productive than Hogan, Taberner, Cox and Lobb (unfair), averaging more goals a game than everyone bar Walters. Mundy played his position for two games and looked just as ordinary as McCarthy’s quiet games.

I just want to say about what an absolutely raw deal Cam McCarthy has copped this year, he’s now third on our total goals this year having played only 11 games.

He’s been more productive than Hogan, Taberner, Cox and Lobb (unfair), averaging more goals a game than everyone bar Walters. Mundy played his position for two games and looked just as ordinary as McCarthy’s quiet games.

More productive based on just goal tally is a bit of a subjective comment.

He’s a liability when he doesn’t have the ball in his hands. Defensive skills literally don’t exist.

I want to like the guy because he’s a talent and good user of the ball but please watch him live. He’s shocking with work ethic and that’s because he has zero fitness.

He’s a liability when he doesn’t have the ball in his hands. Defensive skills literally don’t exist.

I want to like the guy because he’s a talent and good user of the ball but please watch him live. He’s shocking with work ethic and that’s because he has zero fitness.
Actually changed my mind about him. The defensive forward BS is absolute rubbish. Ross has turned forwards into defending the 50.
You see Kennedy/Darling doing that much defensive work? No. It's overrated. Schulz and Switter are great defensive players. But can they kick goals? No. Can they get marks inside 50. No. Mccarthy can. That what a forward does. Another preseason and actually using skill/kick to the forwards will increase our chances significantly.
Mccarthy leads to the ball kicker, gets into good leads and was finally rewarded last night. He's a good leading forward who seems to have the only smarts in how to run in loops etc during leading to the kicker. Got 3 goals and 5-6 marks inside 50. He worked for his goals, without Tabs and Hogan. That was pleasing

Really should be doing this. But Ross will probably get done for tampering, allowing Port to cruise to the finals. I don't care. I hope Port smash us rather then Adelaide making it. Stuff them, Adelaide are West Coast of SA.

Just want something positive to end on the season. Debut some players, give them the hunger

I'd keep Conca and Hughes in. They deserve to be playing.
Nyhuis should've played most of the season. Small forwards have been hurting us all season. Duman has major cookie points. No idea why
His disposal and inability to to get his own ball hurt nyhuis, his lock down play is great. I really like him but I think that’s why he’s always dropped. Duman does seem able to read the play and get his own ball. Let’s combine them into one player!

Actually changed my mind about him. The defensive forward BS is absolute rubbish. Ross has turned forwards into defending the 50.
You see Kennedy/Darling doing that much defensive work? No. It's overrated. Schulz and Switter are great defensive players. But can they kick goals? No. Can they get marks inside 50. No. Mccarthy can. That what a forward does. Another preseason and actually using skill/kick to the forwards will increase our chances significantly.
Mccarthy leads to the ball kicker, gets into good leads and was finally rewarded last night. He's a good leading forward who seems to have the only smarts in how to run in loops etc during leading to the kicker. Got 3 goals and 5-6 marks inside 50. He worked for his goals, without Tabs and Hogan. That was pleasing

Yeah... Nah.

Out; Sandi, Ballas, Shultz, Langdon
In: Ryan, Dixon, Banfield, Sturt

Ryan - Hamling - Hughes
Duman - Logue - Cerra
B Hill - Blakely - Tucker
Walters - McCarthy - Switta
Matera - Dixon - Crowden

Darcy - Fyfe - Brayshaw

Mundy - Conca - Banfield - Sturt

- What a ******* waste of a season it has been for Blakely - Play him in the midfield, let's find out if he can do it. He's not a HBFer.
- I know Langdon won't be dropped but he should be. He's a liability.
- Give Banfield a crack in the midfield where he shines at Peel. If we keep playing him on the HFF we may aswell delist him now.
- Play Dixon and Sturt - Give the fans a reason to watch.

Do you think it's fitness and work ethic? He seems to lack agility and speed, which gets found out against faster agile running half backs. His ability to hit the right spots on a straight lead is good and has reasonable foot skills hitting targets inside 50.

Out: Ballas, Sandi, Shultz, Crowden, Duman
In: Dixon, North, Nyhuis, Sturt, Watson

Give everyone a chance.
Shultz was crap
Bye Balla you were a soldier who stayed too long
Sandi thanks great giant of the game
Crowden meh
Duman too many mistakes that cost us goals.

Do you think it's fitness and work ethic? He seems to lack agility and speed, which gets found out against faster agile running half backs. His ability to hit the right spots on a straight lead is good and has reasonable foot skills hitting targets inside 50.

I don’t think he is fit or cares about his body. When the ball hits the ground he’s as good as dead.
I’ve seen him live at a few Peel games and he’s getting beaten by WAFL players.

He may be ok in a free flowing side where he can hang back pounce on turnovers.

So like Bulldogs or North.

He’s just not up for it. That was clear when he sat out for a year and even clearer now that he’s had a few years with us.

Needs a mindset change because his passing and shots on goals are outstanding.

Outs:
Dumin - at some point one has to make a statement about continual turnovers
Sandi - retired
Ballas - ditto
Schultz

Ins

Dixon - why the hell not
Banfield - reward good game in WAFL
Carter - give him another sniff
Nyhuis - no idea why he does not get a game

I think this game we should try an innovative approach: play defenders in defence and mids in the midfield.

Watch him closely every game, I agree somewhat, he has improved in recent times imo. I think he is slightly fitter as well. Hes one good preseason away from being best 22, he gets goal easier than tabs, lobb, etc kind of like Walters gets goals eaiser than Matera, switta etc. Its still tough to know if he can apply himself though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back