Opinion Round 23 Changes vs. Western Bulldogs (PAV'S LAST GAME)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Any more info re Neale? You guys think he will play?
Seems so, he has been named to the side and the emergency kept over is key forward. If he was in any doubt they would have kept a mid as an emergency.
i was thinking the same thing, however we are already a tall down on last week. Something to ponder..

Sorry to intrude, but Buckley was third in 1999 despite missing five games - practically six given that he went off very early in the game he was injured in. We finished dead last and were a lot worse than you are now too, so it's not out of the question. Neale has been immense this year and would be very deserving.

It's a bit different I know because Bucks had (a lot) more hurt factor and stood out more. It was also one of the best years of Nathan's career (a fair bit better than his actual Brownlow year, for instance, which I think was his fifth best - we had to get good for him to win it!) and I think if he'd played the whole year he would've won it, despite playing in a wooden spoon side. He was the best player in the comp by an absolute mile that year which I don't think Neale is in 2016. He's definitely in the conversation, though and has had a better year than Martin who is one of the favourites.

It's one of the reasons I hope your boy wins it this year, although I think Dangerfield would be a very deserving winner.

I hate the fact that team success plays such a major part in individual accolades. It should be irrelevant. Hird and Voss never played a season like Bucks did that year (or in 1998, or 2000 for that matter) but Bucks often gets discredited in conversations regarding the players. Some of it has to do with the fact that Bucks was a Collingwood player, but I think it is mostly due to the fact that we were an absolutely horrendous football side in Nathan's best years and the others won flags. Ablett Junior is lucky he won his flags before he got to GC, because if he'd started and finished there he'd be known as a great, but probably not regarded as potentially the greatest of all time because he wouldn't have had team success. He has been a lot better than Judd in my opinion (some disagree I know), but history would have Judd as the the better player had it panned out that way.

I hope your team doesn't count against your player - he's a gun.

Last edited:
Sorry to intrude, but Buckley was third in 1999 despite missing five games - practically six given that he went off very early in the game he was injured in. We finished dead last and were a lot worse than you are now too, so it's not out of the question. Neale has been immense this year and would be very deserving.

It's a bit different I know because Bucks had (a lot) more hurt factor and stood out more. It was also one of the best years of Nathan's career (a fair bit better than his actual Brownlow year, for instance, which I think was his fifth best - we had to get good for him to win it!) and I think if he'd played the whole year he would've won it, despite playing in a wooden spoon side. He was the best player in the comp by an absolute mile that year which I don't think Neale is in 2016. He's definitely in the conversation, though and has had a better year than Martin who is one of the favourites.

It's one of the reasons I hope your boy wins it this year, although I think Dangerfield would be a very deserving winner.

I hate the fact that team success plays such a major part in individual accolades. It should be irrelevant. Hird and Voss never played a season like Bucks did that year (or in 1998, or 2000 for that matter) but Bucks often gets discredited in conversations regarding the players. Some of it has to do with the fact that Bucks was a Collingwood player, but I think it is mostly due to the fact that we were an absolutely horrendous football side in Nathan's best years and the others won flags. Ablett Junior is lucky he won his flags before he got to GC, because if he'd started and finished there he'd be known as a great, but probably not regarded as potentially the greatest of all time because he wouldn't have had team success. He has been a lot better than Judd in my opinion (some disagree I know), but history would have Judd as the the better player had it panned out that way.

I hope your team doesn't count against your player - he's a gun.
I'm still traumatised by round 2, 2001.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to tell after qtr time last week but it looks like we're playing Yarran as a marking tall target in the forward line. Similar to how we've tried and failed to play Mayne in the past.

With us dropping Clarke and Griff, Apeness becomes the ruck forward.

So when Sandi goes for a rest and Apeness goes to the ruck Pavlich is our only genuine tall forward and he'll get double teamed by two tall defenders because our other "tall" is Yarran who can be minded by a small/med defender.

Are we trying to help Pav reminisce about the GF? Is this just apart of celebrating Pav's career? Try and get him to beat two defenders just one last time.

All of teams that score well play the traditional forward structure:
2 KPF's
1 RuckFwd
3 Small/Med forwards

If he didn't want to play Tabs then keep one of Clarke or Griff so Apeness can be a sole forward.

Our forwardline always seems ineffective. Maybe it's more the structure/setup than the individuals.

Hard to tell after qtr time last week but it looks like we're playing Yarran as a marking tall target in the forward line. Similar to how we've tried and failed to play Mayne in the past.

With us dropping Clarke and Griff, Apeness becomes the ruck forward.

So when Sandi goes for a rest and Apeness goes to the ruck Pavlich is our only genuine tall forward and he'll get double teamed by two tall defenders because our other "tall" is Yarran who can be minded by a small/med defender.

Are we trying to help Pav reminisce about the GF? Is this just apart of celebrating Pav's career? Try and get him to beat two defenders just one last time.

All of teams that score well play the traditional forward structure:
2 KPF's
1 RuckFwd
3 Small/Med forwards

If he didn't want to play Tabs then keep one of Clarke or Griff so Apeness can be a sole forward.

Our forwardline always seems ineffective. Maybe it's more the structure/setup than the individuals.

Tabs is still in the picture has he was held over from the Peel game.

I don't even want to get in the car and head to the game. End of Pav.... It just sucks.
It is possible your buddy mayne last game for freo also. How dare that you do not said goodbye to your buddy

I don't even want to get in the car and head to the game. End of Pav.... It just sucks.
Car? Goodness, drive to Pavs last game? The only thing preventing me toasting PAV into smashedness is a desire not to go work with a hangover beyond a certain level. As it is the legal limit shall be passed sir!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back