Autopsy Round 23 = Essendon 102-64 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

No I haven't because that's not their historical record this century, it's ours
Let me see if I have this straight.... Buckley was justified in pulling apart one of the youngest premiership teams because our history, of 12 years - and not the 125+ years that we have been in existence - dictates that we would drop off anyway? This, based on one club's recent (and statistically insignificant representation) history, despite the overwhelming evidence that best practice suggests that the nucleus of a premiership team could in fact be kept in tact for many years (Hawthorn, Geelong, Richmond)? Right.

Let me see if I have this straight.... Buckley was justified in pulling apart one of the youngest premiership teams because our history
No once again you are completely wrong, the list had reached it's peak and was only going one direction. But hey I'm sure you blame Buckley for blowing 8 first round draft picks for zero players on the list and massive contracts for aging injured plodders like Wells as well. Simplistic.

No once again you are completely wrong, the list had reached it's peak and was only going one direction.
I donā€™t know if the list had peaked, but the ā€œboxā€ or ā€œforward pressureā€ or whatever you want to call it had begun to be worked out. Our gameplan, without a shred of doubt, needed a major overhaul because we werenā€™t putting teams like Hawthorn away like we had, and the signs were there of what was to come.

No once again you are completely wrong, the list had reached it's peak and was only going one direction. But hey I'm sure you blame Buckley for blowing 8 first round draft picks for zero players on the list and massive contracts for aging injured plodders like Wells as well. Simplistic.

At no stage did I blame Buckley for anything relating to the success or failure of the drafting/recruiting. I am only asserting that your argument about Collingwood specifically only having a two year window was a fallacy. We were at the pointy end for no less than four years. I consider 2012 the year that got away from us as we made the Prelim and only narrowly went down to Sydney on the back of an emotionally devastating period with the loss of JMac. That year could have been anything. That alone should be enough to rationalise that a maximum two year premiership window for Collingwood is a fallacy.

For what it's worth I believe that the senior coach does (or at the very least should) have significant input into whom they want on the playing list. The mechanisms on how they are recruited or drafted however, should not be his worry and only a micro-manager would involve themselves in that level of detail.

At no stage did I blame Buckley for anything relating to the success or failure of the drafting/recruiting. I am only asserting that your argument about Collingwood specifically only having a two year window was a fallacy.
Well you should let Malthouse know as well, he only opens windows for 2 years.

2002/2003 GF/GF
2010/2011 GF/GF
2018/2019 GF/PF

The numbers are pretty cut and dried.

Well you should let Malthouse know as well, he only opens windows for 2 years.

2002/2003 GF/GF
2010/2011 GF/GF
2018/2019 GF/PF

The numbers are pretty cut and dried.
Why does 2019 count as part of a window when we made the prelim, but 2009 and 2012 do not when we went just as far?

Why does 2019 count as part of a window when we made the prelim, but 2009 and 2012 do not when we went just as far?
Throw them in if you like but one was early and the other we were already waning, which is kinda my point, nowhere to go after you've peaked.

We have been saying that for 2 years. Time to cut our losses.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I for one would like a lot more information to be made known regarding Sier's attitude and training before I was prepared to cut my losses and be happy to have him moved on. The last game he played he was seen embracing Buckley after the game so it seems strange that he never again played at AFL level. I cannot recall a player being at the club for so many years and failing to be selected weekly despite obvious talent without the club making some acknowledgement about the nature of the problem, as has been the case with Sier.

I for one would like a lot more information to be made known regarding Sier's attitude and training before I was prepared to cut my losses and be happy to have him moved on. The last game he played he was seen embracing Buckley after the game so it seems strange that he never again played at AFL level. I cannot recall a player being at the club for so many years and failing to be selected weekly despite obvious talent without the club making some acknowledgement about the nature of the problem, as has been the case with Sier.
it is strange.
And since has dominated VFL.... all the while, watching other mids get selected before him. Rantall. Macrae even Cal. Almost Reef too in the end. Was only sub once? and rarely an emergency. There must be something there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you should have put him in your username to add to the pile.

Maybe Sier is just laconic but I've never seen any urgency from him, other players look like the cartoon Tasmanian Devil in a pack while he only seems to go if it comes his way

Maybe Sier is just laconic but I've never seen any urgency from him, other players look like the cartoon Tasmanian Devil in a pack while he only seems to go if it comes his way
Talent only takes you so far.
Desire determination discipline dedication desperation are words that Sier appears unaware of

At no stage did I blame Buckley for anything relating to the success or failure of the drafting/recruiting. I am only asserting that your argument about Collingwood specifically only having a two year window was a fallacy. We were at the pointy end for no less than four years. I consider 2012 the year that got away from us as we made the Prelim and only narrowly went down to Sydney on the back of an emotionally devastating period with the loss of JMac. That year could have been anything. That alone should be enough to rationalise that a maximum two year premiership window for Collingwood is a fallacy.

For what it's worth I believe that the senior coach does (or at the very least should) have significant input into whom they want on the playing list. The mechanisms on how they are recruited or drafted however, should not be his worry and only a micro-manager would involve themselves in that level of detail.

Our 2010 window effectively opened in 2006-07 seasons and closed after 2012 so hardly a 2 year window.

Last edited:

Yep. Iā€™d add the 2006-08 seasons and look more closely at the injury ravaged 2017 season as well if youā€™re talking windows.

There are windows and there's being primed to win it, you have to get lucky in a loosely defined 'window' or stacked to the gills like Geel/Hawks were, I've only seen 5 or 6 years this century we were red hot go's

Remove this Banner Ad

Back