Round 23 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Seeing as there is a Monday game, I wonder if the AFL is thinking that they could have Hawthorn v Collingwood that night?

Friday: North Melbourne v GWS (Etihad)
Saturday: Essendon v Carlton (MCG)
Saturday: Sydney v Richmond (SCG)
Saturday Twilight: Geelong v Melbourne (Simonds)
Saturday Night: Adelaide v West Coast (Adelaide Oval)
Saturday Night: Fremantle v Western Bulldogs (Subiaco)
Sunday: St. Kilda v Brisbane (Etihad)
Sunday: Gold Coast v Port Adelaide (Carrara)
Monday: Hawthorn v Collingwood (MCG)

I don't think the AFL will want to risk a potentially big MCG crowd by playing on Monday night- they have avoided putting Thursday night games in Victoria since Melbourne crowds have proved to be rather fickle in this regard, and I think the same would go for a Monday night game. I agree with others, if there was to be a Monday night game this round it would most likely be Adelaide vs West Coast.

GWS North
Or
Adel WC

one of those should be the Friday night game factoring in both excitement of game and quality of teams.

But I have a strange feeling we are in for a Hawks v Collingwood
If Hawks finish top the VFL will say they earn the right to play Friday night...

The AFL will need to get the Friday night game right. they don't want the it to be a one sided game.. a Hawks v Pies game could be a disaster.

The need a game like the Roos v GWS or Crows v WC.

Am I hearing and reading correct, there will be a Monday night game in Round 23? who said this? on my fixture it says " Round 23 Aug 26th -Aug 28th"
no mention of Monday the 29th....

The AFL will need to get the Friday night game right. they don't want the it to be a one sided game.. a Hawks v Pies game could be a disaster.

Am I hearing and reading correct, there will be a Monday night game in Round 23? who said this? on my fixture it says " Round 23 Aug 26th -Aug 28th"

I had only heard about the Monday night game in R23 on this thread- I'm not so convinced it will happen. Even with the bye week coming after it, I would think the AFL would be keen to get the finals schedule decided as soon as possible (ie the Saturday night), rather than stretching it out until Monday.

The AFL said it, I'm not sure if it's locked in but they like the idea of a big stand alone Monday game to decide ramifications of the 8.
There is a bye the week after so it's not like they have to worry about teams getting a rest and no need to sort out the finals fixture ASAP.
The AFL also mentioned a Thursday night elimination final.

Personally I don't like the bye as I think it will disadvantage the winning QF teams who will play 1 match in a 3 week period. Nor do I like a Thursday final.

The Monday game is meant to be some epic game that has implications for the top 8.
So either that's Adelaide vs West Coast or North vs GWS.
The rest of the floating fixture... Who cares when you have a bye coming up?

Would more be to make sure no team is coming off a short break into the last rd than a short break into the finals due to the bye now. Really why have the floating last round with the bye the week after? Just make sure no team has a 6 day turn around into rd 23 .....

One consideration I haven't seen raised is which game results might be able to be fixed by some teams to manipulate the final order.

With the ladder currently so tight there's probably nothing you can do this far out to know who may or may not be in a position to do this but it is something worth considering.

For example based roughly on the current ladder, Adelaide might get out to a big lead over West Coast but by winning big it drops West Coasts percentage low enough that their position changes. Adelaide may be able to manipulate who their opposition is based on the results of games that have already been played by letting West Coast bring the margin in late. So to mitigate that you might put them on Friday night or first up Saturday.

One consideration I haven't seen raised is which game results might be able to be fixed by some teams to manipulate the final order.

With the ladder currently so tight there's probably nothing you can do this far out to know who may or may not be in a position to do this but it is something worth considering.

For example based roughly on the current ladder, Adelaide might get out to a big lead over West Coast but by winning big it drops West Coasts percentage low enough that their position changes. Adelaide may be able to manipulate who their opposition is based on the results of games that have already been played by letting West Coast bring the margin in late. So to mitigate that you might put them on Friday night or first up Saturday.

Interesting point. There could also be teams who tank/defend like crazy to ensure or prevent a change in position so hawks/coll or wb/freo could be fairly odd games, not just for finals but for draft picks as well.

I remember it happening in 2008. Saints needed to win by 90 odd points against essendon make top 4 and knock the crows down. Essendon just rolled over and died in Q4 and the saints got 4th by 1.5% in the sunday twilight game.

I think you are right about playing finals teams first. The last teams to play have a clear advantage. The question is who gets to go last with a clear scenario? I think the teams going for top 4 should be on the Saturday around the same time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knowing the AFL it will be like this I thinkSydney vs Richmond (gotta look after the bigger clubs):

Friday
Adelaide vs West Coast AO (7 50 PM

Saturday
Geelong vs Melbourne SS (1 45 PM)
North Melbourne vs GWS ES (3 20 PM)
Fremantle vs Bulldogs Subi (4 40 PM EST)

Saturday Night
Hawthorn vs Collingwood MCG
Sydney vs Richmond

Sunday
Gold Coast vs Port Power MS (1:10pm)
Essendon vs Carlton MCG (3:20pm)
St Kilda vs Brisbane ES (4:40pm) T

Thursday Final will be 6th v 7th
A Thursday final??? serious??? since when? where are all these "Monday nights" and 'Thursday night" ideas for games coming from for rd 23 and finals?
I couldn't think of anything worse losing that thurs elimination final and having to front up to work the next morning with the haters at my work.....

No point bothering with this exercise due to week's rest everyone gets. After this season, the EOS week's rest will be abolished after complaints from the Player's Association who want them in the season proper, or they'll schedule R23 as normal - this is the only time both will occur in the same year. As long as Hawthorn don't clash with a frigging Qld side, meaning they'll probably end up on tv, I'm happy...

Do you think if GWS finish 6th they put them on Thursday night in front no more than 12k

We have the highest percentage of junior members in the league. We have been pushing the whole young family, family day out, angle our entire existence.

Thursday night makes less than no sense to us. Hell, Sunday twilight is difficult - it only worked against Sydney because it was a public holiday Monday following.

I've been a member since day dot and been to almost every home game (illness, funerals and that ridiculous lunch time on Mother's Day game, aside) and we would struggle to justify going to the footy on a Thursday night. The little fella's got school in the morning - and he's been to all the games we have.

Thursday night is stupid night at the best of times - but when your whole focus is on young families, then it becomes particularly stupid and counter productive.

We have the highest percentage of junior members in the league. We have been pushing the whole young family, family day out, angle our entire existence.

Thursday night makes less than no sense to us. Hell, Sunday twilight is difficult - it only worked against Sydney because it was a public holiday Monday following.

I've been a member since day dot and been to almost every home game (illness, funerals and that ridiculous lunch time on Mother's Day game, aside) and we would struggle to justify going to the footy on a Thursday night. The little fella's got school in the morning - and he's been to all the games we have.

Thursday night is stupid night at the best of times - but when your whole focus is on young families, then it becomes particularly stupid and counter productive.
And ruling out any Canberra members wanting to go to the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back