Richmond v Bulldogs (MCG)
Carlton v Adelaide (Etihad), twilight
Port v Essendon (Adelaide Oval), night
Fremantle v Collingwood (Optus), night

Sunday
Brisbane v West Coast (Gabba)
Melbourne v GWS (MCG)
St Kilda v North (Etihad), twilight
It's going to suck if it comes down to the very last game, and possibly %, to determine if we make finals or not.

Wouldn't put it past some people to run with this line and be serious. I fondly remember the days when we were good, when one year the criticism was that our interstate games occurred too early in the season (too much rest prior to finals), then the next year it was that they were too bunched together late in the season (thus apparently gifting us a good start) then the following year it was that they were too evenly spread throughout the year.

We'll know we're finally a serious team again when these sort of complaints start popping up.

I remember those arguments fondly.

What's the protocol for a forfeit?

I know it's far fetched with the closeness of the season and the unnecessary bye but what would happen if we were fixtured to play Brisbane on a Sunday and were 21-0 on top several games clear with them in the bottom 4? Or say Collingwood had a top 4 spot sewn up and Freo were 14th?

Does the AFL even have a mechanism for a team saying 'no thanks, they can have this one'? I know we saw Geelong and Adelaide split the points after Phil Walsh died (good sportsmanship by Geelong, and would've been a dick move not to) but that was a very different circumstance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You carry on like this has never happened before.

Round 22, 2008 we had an away game in Perth to finish the year.

Once every sixteen years should be par for the course.

I carry on? The only thing I said is that there is a bye after R23 so it doesn't really matter anymore if you have to go on the road in the last round.

You carry on like this has never happened before.

Round 22, 2008 we had an away game in Perth to finish the year.

Once every sixteen years should be par for the course.

Should be, but the AFL fixture is full of quirks. We've played the Bulldogs at home 26 times compared to Collingwood 17. We've played Collingwood & the Bears/Lions 26 times away compared to Carlton 17.

When you actually had a home ground we used to play you at the MCG and Waverley a bit, and now that you're an MCG tenant half the time we play you at Docklands. The AFL are nuts.

Should be, but the AFL fixture is full of quirks. We've played the Bulldogs at home 26 times compared to Collingwood 17. We've played Collingwood & the Bears/Lions 26 times away compared to Carlton 17.

When you actually had a home ground we used to play you at the MCG and Waverley a bit, and now that you're an MCG tenant half the time we play you at Docklands. The AFL are nuts.
I hate playing you at Docklands. We end up going from having a home ground advantage to playing you at a ground you probably play at as often as we do anyway.

We essentially lose a genuine home game to prop up the minnows.

I carry on? The only thing I said is that there is a bye after R23 so it doesn't really matter anymore if you have to go on the road in the last round.
Sorry I meant that just as phrasing rather than you going over the top.

Should have been clearer with my wording.

You were being a bit of a sarcastic w***er though.

Sorry I meant that just as phrasing rather than you going over the top.

Should have been clearer with my wording.

You were being a bit of a sarcastic w***er though.

Sarcasm is my forte.

I know it's far fetched with the closeness of the season and the unnecessary bye but what would happen if we were fixtured to play Brisbane on a Sunday and were 21-0 on top several games clear with them in the bottom 4? Or say Collingwood had a top 4 spot sewn up and Freo were 14th?

Does the AFL even have a mechanism for a team saying 'no thanks, they can have this one'? I know we saw Geelong and Adelaide split the points after Phil Walsh died (good sportsmanship by Geelong, and would've been a dick move not to) but that was a very different circumstance.

The AFL's billion-dollar rights deal requires them to produce a set number of games so forfeits (except under extenuating circumstances such as Phil Walsh's tragic death) would be a big no-no.

They'd probably be penalised under the catch-all "bringing the game into disrepute" provision.

Kicked out of the finals for bringing the game into disrepute.

Just do a Freo and take a reserves team

With the bye, it's not worth resting players anymore.
Rd 23
Bye.
QF (win)
bye
Prelim.

If you rest players in rd 22 they potentially will have had 1 game in the last 5 weeks heading into a preliminary final. Not ideal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back