Preview Round 23 - Gold Coast Suns vs GWS Giants, Saturday 24th August, Metricon Stadium, 7.25pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Expect Mumford to have another week off and for us to rest any guys who not 100% and wouldn't mind us giving Brown a shot in the top grade as unlike just about every other guy in our neafl side he has gotten a bit better each week.
Mumford might get the week off but I expect us to bring back as many guys as we can to make sure they've got some match fitness into their legs before a do or die final.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Unfortunately thats my great fear.

We smash the Suns into whimpering babies and then all the pressure is off and everyone talks us up again.

With the greatest respect to the Eclispe they are at the bottom of a rebuild, the very very start, our 3rds should be able to put a ton on them at where we are supposed to be.
If we smash the suns nobody will notice

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Mumford might get the week off but I expect us to bring back as many guys as we can to make sure they've got some match fitness into their legs before a do or die final.

Just reckon there is no need to risk guys who are not 100% in a game that won't amount to much, and at the end of the day its all about finals. But maybe if I didn't have zero faith in our fitness department I would see it differently.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
This Suns game coming at the perfect time really.

Get Cameron and Finlayson back this week and another week into the legs of Kelly, Corr and DeBoer. They'll still be a bit flat early but if they can go in with a HT lead the Suns will almost certainly pack it in in the second half. From there Giants can build some synergy, rhythm and confidence by hitting the scoreboard hard late.

Then another week off to rest up some tired blokes and steel themselves for a home final with Hopper coming back into the guts. Then Cogs back the following.

I don't think this year is all done and dusted by any stretch.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Need to get some pace, hardness and intensity into this team if any hope of making a September dint.

My Rd 23 team

Shaw Davis Reid
Whitfield Corr Haynes
Cumming Taranto Williams
Finlayson HH Kelly
Hill Cameron Daniels
Simpson Greene De Boer
Caldwell, Buntine Kennedy Taylor

In: Finlayson, Cameron, Cumming, Taylor, Buntine
Out: Stein, Tomlinson, Sproule, Keefe, Perryman

Week 1 finals

Shaw Davis Reid
Whitfield Corr Haynes
Cumming Taranto Williams
Greene HH Kelly
Finlayson Cameron Daniels
Simpson Hopper, De Boer
Kennedy, Buntine, Caldwell, Taylor

In: Hopper
Out: Hill

Week 2 finals

Shaw Davis Reid
Whitfield Corr Haynes
Cumming Hopper Williams
Greene HH Kelly
Simpson Coniglio, De Boer
Caldwell, Buntine, Taylor, Taranto

In: Coniglio (farewell game)
Out: Kennedy

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
This Suns game coming at the perfect time really.

Get Cameron and Finlayson back this week and another week into the legs of Kelly, Corr and DeBoer. They'll still be a bit flat early but if they can go in with a HT lead the Suns will almost certainly pack it in in the second half. From there Giants can build some synergy, rhythm and confidence by hitting the scoreboard hard late.

Then another week off to rest up some tired blokes and steel themselves for a home final with Hopper coming back into the guts. Then Cogs back the following.

I don't think this year is all done and dusted by any stretch.
Agreed

We have a lot to come back so I spose I should be more positive

Anything could happen in 3 weeks

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Need to get some pace, hardness and intensity into this team if any hope of making a September dint.

My Rd 23 team

Shaw Davis Reid
Whitfield Corr Haynes
Cumming Taranto Williams
Finlayson HH Kelly
Hill Cameron Daniels
Simpson Greene De Boer
Caldwell, Buntine Kennedy Taylor

In: Finlayson, Cameron, Cumming, Taylor, Buntine
Out: Stein, Tomlinson, Sproule, Keefe, Perryman

Week 1 finals

Shaw Davis Reid
Whitfield Corr Haynes
Cumming Taranto Williams
Greene HH Kelly
Simpson Hopper, De Boer
Kennedy, Buntine, Caldwell, Taylor

In: Hopper
Out: Hill

Week 2 finals

Shaw Davis Reid
Whitfield Corr Haynes
Cumming Hopper Williams
Greene HH Kelly
Simpson Coniglio, De Boer
Caldwell, Buntine, Taylor, Taranto

In: Coniglio (farewell game)
Out: Kennedy

We'll have to beat the Suns without Nick Haynes, he fractured his larynx in that late hit from Bontempelli.

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon, GWS & Giants Womens
Not even worth a week off though.
That’s a f-ing disgrace. It’s not a court of law. Now that the evidence is in it proves the impact caused that damage but of course, you’d hate Bont to miss out on . . . Just get stuffed. Sick of it.
Remember Cochin taking out Shiels. “Gee, you’d hate for him to miss the finals . . . Blah blah BS”
We get screwed every year.
And people think we’re loved by the AFL. What a joke.

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
I hope we beat the Suns but hope it’s not a walk over. If it’s too easy then it’s no contest practice for finals.
I saw Essendon go up there and take them too lightly.
Seeing the past four weeks, who knows.

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Interesting thread on the impact to Nick Haynes.

Just search:
Bontempelli's hit on Haynes
On BigFooty

Lots of sensible posts from neutrals. Lots of one-eyed nonsense from Bullflogs supporters. Oh, sorry, misspelt that.

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Although the loss last weekend wasn’t ideal I’d be pretty confident we would knock off the dogs if we came up against them in September. They were 2 or 3 players off their best sept side whereas we will have 9 changes to the side from the weekend plus Kelly, Corr and MDB won’t be first up after extended breaks

The club identified that the players were pretty banged up about a month ago and we had pretty much booked our finals spot so started preparing for September. Giving players ample time to get over injuries and then bringing guys straight back into the league side to get game time into them before sept rather than going through NEAFL and not stressing about the result. Having mids out has allowed Greene to find some really good form which will
Make him a real match winner inside 50 in Sept.

This week should just be a time up for week 1 of finals with only 4 of our finals week 1 side missing (Haynes, Coniglio, Deledio, Hopper)

Finals Week 1
Shaw Davis Haynes
Williams Taylor Kennedy
Kelly Taranto Coniglio
Greene Cameron Whitfield
Daniels HH Lloyd
Mumford Hopper MDB

Corr Deledio Finlayson Keefe/Tomlinson

Energ: Perryman hill Reid Simpson

Well, we don't need to win; so I can see that we'll rest sore players and give some underdone players a game - so pretty hard to predict what the actual team will be.
Some of it may depend on Friday night - if Essendon lose that also reduces the chance of losing that home final.

Sounds from the presser like Toby is pretty banged up and might miss.

In: Cameron, Finlayson, Taylor, Cumming, Bonar, Buntine
Out: Haynes (inj), Greene (inj), Sproule, Stein, Tomlinson, Perryman

Keefe survives with Haynes missing and Bonar comes in as another midfield option.
Shipley over Bonar and I can agree

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Im a big fan of playing the stars this round. A large part of Brisbane's success has been the continuity they have established by playing regular footy together.

We had that early in the yer when we had a good run with injuries and sat second on the table as a result. We need them to have time in the middle to sort it out.

They get a free rest next week- play the guns

A large part of Brisbane's success has been the continuity they have established by playing regular footy together.

Absolutely. I don't like to cross-board harp on each team, but being able to start one of two rucks plus Neale, Lyons and Zorko at every contest has been massive. You notice it in the little things - no look handballs, shepherds, who to run to space and where, when to leave your man and gamble on an intercept possession because you know one of the other guys is in position to cover for you.

It was on my mind because it was exactly what I didn't see on the weekend, when Dawson and Keeffe won clear taps... to the ground, blind handballs... to a Dogs player, no shepherding, players gambling on an intercept and leaving their man free, etc.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Absolutely. I don't like to cross-board harp on each team, but being able to start one of two rucks plus Neale, Lyons and Zorko at every contest has been massive. You notice it in the little things - no look handballs, shepherds, who to run to space and where, when to leave your man and gamble on an intercept possession because you know one of the other guys is in position to cover for you.

It was on my mind because it was exactly what I didn't see on the weekend, when Dawson and Keeffe won clear taps... to the ground, blind handballs... to a Dogs player, no shepherding, players gambling on an intercept and leaving their man free, etc.
I absolutely agree. That cohesion only comes in games. I mean it is different in training where it is a NEAFL player or a kid trying to stop you wining the clearance compared to a bontempelli/mccrae like it was on the weekend.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Here we go
Screenshot_20190822-182251_AFL.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back