Autopsy Round 23: Hawks pluck Eagles

Yes, I noticed. And i went back and watched which veterans had players really getting around them when they kicked a goal. I've got my guesses in. It's going to be a very bitter-sweet off-season.

I've watched the replay twice already. They normally cut the goal celebration. Can't find any sign except for a team play really well together. I'll be sad for any player leaving us. :(

TheBeardedEagle

Senior List
Aug 31, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Seriously Congratulations, Richmond could only find a last minute goal for the win (we didn't learn much from that loss) You guys absolutely convincingly put us to the slaughter and kicked our back door in (lol) in hindsight it's the best lesson we could of been taught. Now we have a team of players not wanting to lose another game that will hopefully listen to it's coaches and I bet they will be all ears not wanting another loss.

The Eagles and the Hawks have history but recently we also have a great sharing story of Legends of each others clubs. You leant us Mitchell which significantly helped us into a Premiership last year that we sent back to you with a Premiership as your future coach in waiting. We've leant you our legend Glass that I'm sure will be returned to the Eagles at a much later date once he has finished his apprenticeship match hardened and tempered with the best coaching skills in the country.

You guys did us a favour last night. We had unexposed leaks that were exploited by other teams but didn't justify an overhaul of our playbook. You blew great big holes through everything that we threw at you and that can't be ignored in our game plan just before the finals. It's an invaluable piece of tough love from the master to the former apprentice. There is nothing quite like the master Clarko giving Simpson a final coaching lesson before the finals and to out our players exploitable gameplay, just before two weeks of solid training leading into the finals.

If we fix our problems and go deep into the finals, we will look back at this loss as an early gift from Clarko to professionally QA our team, log our problems publicly and give both the coach and the player a kick in the A to get our ducks in a row before September.

I'm be cheering for Adelaide for you guys and hope you support Brisbane for us today!

This was truly a gift.

Last edited:

Alex_au

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Seriously Congratulations, Richmond could only find a last minute goal for the win (we didn't learn much from that loss) You guys absolutely convincingly put us to the slaughter and kicked our back door in (lol) in hindsight it's the best lesson we could of been taught. Now we have a team of players not wanting to lose another game that will hopefully listen to it's coaches and I bet they will be all ears not wanting another loss.

The Eagles and the Hawks have history but recently we also have a great sharing story of Legends of each others clubs. You leant us Mitchell which significantly helped us into a Premiership last year that we sent back to you with a Premiership as your future coach in waiting. We've leant you our legend Glass that I'm sure will be returned to the Eagles at a much later date once he has finished his apprenticeship match hardened and tempered with the best coaching skills in the country.

You guys did us a favour last night. We had unexposed leaks that were exploited by other teams but didn't justify an overhaul of out playbook. You blew great big holes through everything that we threw at you and that can't be ignored in our game plan just before the finals. it's an invaluable piece of tough love from the master to the former apprentice. There is nothing quite like the master Clarko giving Simpson a final coaching lesson before the finals and to out our players exploitable gameplay just before two weeks of solid training leading into the finals.

If we fix our problems and go deep into the finals, we will look back at this loss as an early gift from Clarko to professionally QA our team, log our problems publicly and give both the coach and the player a kick in the A to get our ducks in a row before September.

I'm be cheering for Adelaide for you guys and hope you support Brisbane for us today!

This was truly a gift.

Classy as ;)

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
Coniglio or not, Mitchell, Jaeger, Worpel and Wingard make for an extremely good midfield.
Jaeger Worpel Wingard and Shiels have now had wins against:
- Geelong
- West Coast
- GWS x 2
- Collingwood

For a hack midfield with no depth that's a nice set of scalps.
I know it's a full team effort, but you can't beat those teams without a good midfield performance.

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What a performance buy the 22 out there! We even lost Scully very early on and continued to respond when challenged. A great way to finish the home and away season, C.Wingard continues to excite me off no preseason i would give up 2 Burtons at this rate.

2 notes the form off, Bruest,Gunners,Smithy over the last month back to there best! Where was this form in the first half of the season? Strange one

The move of Mcevoy to c.h.b the last few games, what is the theory behind this Gee whiz, we set up well with Sicily & Scrimshaw as you're traditional half back flanks intercept marks. Perhaps Patton playing fwd is not a forgone conclusion..with Lewis & Timmy o development.

Go hawks!! go the crows for today!!

Feb 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
DCowboys, ManU, Celtics, Blackhawks
No love for Hendo in here. Was huge last night.

Jaeger much better without as much attention. Good signs for 2020 with Tommy back. Cegs pulled down Hickey’s pants all night, although I’m not totally convince about McEvoy down back he did take some timely intercept marks.

Great team effort, and how good has Chad been since his return!

Mojo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2007
Beaumaris
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Awesome team performance. I’m struggling to come to terms with the fact we might not see Burgs in brown and gold again. I hope it’s not the case.

He's got a difficult decision to make - Hawthorn are again on the precipice of achieving success in 2020; Tom Mitchell will return, Stephen Coniglio & Jonathan Patton will be confirmed as Hawks. The future would be difficult to walk away from to a brand new life with a young family.

No love for Hendo in here. Was huge last night.

Jaeger much better without as much attention. Good signs for 2020 with Tommy back. Cegs pulled down Hickey’s pants all night, although I’m not totally convince about McEvoy down back he did take some timely intercept marks.

Great team effort, and how good has Chad been since his return!
I think McEvoy down back was a one off due to how huge their forward line is. With Lewis out, we couldn’t swing Gunston or TOB back. Wouldn’t expect to see it again next year with Lewis and probably Patton in the team.

It's his second game without a hit out. In his first game for St Kilda against fremantle, he had 6 disposals and no hit outs.
Ah! True. I didn't even look at 2008.

I hope they give him the 3yrs he is asking for has a clear brothers bond with his teammates!
Plenty of people alluding to him being the “heart and soul” of the team in post game interviews. Will be very hard to replace for that alone.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
what a win! and a great way to end the season on....potentially...

So many players stood up from the senior brigade but super pleasing to see it coming from the new to.

Cant wait till 2020, imagine mitchell handpass to wingard again and again and again 😍😍

Buzz Hawk

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2017
Buttox
AFL Club
Hawthorn

You guys did us a favour last night. We had unexposed leaks that were exploited by other teams but didn't justify an overhaul of out playbook. You blew great big holes through everything that we threw at you and that can't be ignored in our game plan just before the finals. it's an invaluable piece of tough love from the master to the former apprentice. There is nothing quite like the master Clarko giving Simpson a final coaching lesson before the finals and to out our players exploitable gameplay just before two weeks of solid training leading into the finals.

This was truly a gift.
What a lovely post.
I think you’re right. Simmo will learn from this, expect some tweaks to the eagles game plan before the finals.
The irony is, if we make it, and I don’t expect to, we’ll be playing you again.

Agent Smith said:
The good news is I'll be changing my tips from Hawthorn to West Coast as a result. History proves categorically that this gives Hawthorn a very, very good chance of winning.
You're all welcome.

I'd now like to say that I see no way Adelaide gets over the top of the Bulldogs today. And just to go for the trifecta, there's no chance in high hell we'll be picking up Coniglio as a free agent.

I think I'm doing this right...

Back