Preview Round 23 - Lions v Demons 7:50pm at the 'Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping Kai Lohmann is named as the sub, could come in and do something freakish to turn a game, Mitch Robinson would be ok by me though, don't want either of the 2 other emergencies named ie. Fort/Lester.

Huge game this one, win or loss has gargantuan consequences, loss and I can see us going straight out in week 1 of finals to the Tigers, win I think we are a realistic chance to beat the Swans in the QF, if we happen to lose that we go into a home semi we should win and make a Prelim at least.

Can we play through the high expectations and lap up the pressure of the occasion and triumph, big test for this group, no excuses.

I'm hoping Kai Lohmann is named as the sub, could come in and do something freakish to turn a game, Mitch Robinson would be ok by me though, don't want either of the 2 other emergencies named ie. Fort/Lester.

Huge game this one, win or loss has gargantuan consequences, loss and I can see us going straight out in week 1 of finals to the Tigers, win I think we are a realistic chance to beat the Swans in the QF, lose that we go into a home semi we should win and make a Prelim at least.

Can we play through the high expectations and lap up the pressure of the occasion and triumph, big test for this group, no excuses.
I think the tactical inflexibility caused by our doomsday planning for if a ruck goes down has cost us games.

If we want someone who'd provide a real point of difference late in game, then I think Kai would be the right choice.

So does Matho play a tag role to Oliver because Harmes is being brought in for one reason only. We can't afford to be one dimensional in this game.
Few options for us this time around.

Depending on how things unfold, we can play Matho on Viney or Oliver, even push Bailey to wing and play Berry more inside etc.

So does Matho play a tag role to Oliver because Harmes is being brought in for one reason only. We can't afford to be one dimensional in this game.
If Lachie gets substantially tagged out of the game hopefully Matho and/or Lyons can pick up the slack in contested ball.

I'm still not sure whether Melbourne just had a nothing go wrong purple patch from the middle of last year or whether they're actually really good.

I've been leaning towards the latter till proven otherwise and the next 4 weeks will tell the tale.

I really hope this doesn’t bite me in the ass, but I think it’s the former. Basically the only game they’ve really turned it on and looked like the dees from last year was when they absolutely walloped us after the bye.

Every other game they’ve just been plodding along (much like we have tbh).

Side pretty much unchanged depending who may be named sub
At least nobody got injured on the training track or missing because of covid protocols
Maybe not out best 22 but very close
Up against Melbourne's best 22 or very close
Winner gets bragging rights for a few weeks and hope it is us

Big crowd at the Gabba and a clash with the Broncos v Storm game at Suncorp 7.55pm Friday
Buses may be a bit crowded

Can't wait for this game. Hope i am as excited after the game as before

I really hope this doesn’t bite me in the ass, but I think it’s the former. Basically the only game they’ve really turned it on and looked like the dees from last year was when they absolutely walloped us after the bye.

Every other game they’ve just been plodding along (much like we have tbh).
The thing that makes me suspect they could have a multi season run is that they've got say 5 players you would put in the elite category. Then another half a dozen who are very good. You don't need too many more to just play their role and you have the basis for winning finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing that makes me suspect they could have a multi season run is that they've got say 5 players you would put in the elite category. Then another half a dozen who are very good. You don't need too many more to just play their role and you have the basis for winning finals.
We have our fair share of elite-very good players for the roles they play IMO.

Elite- Neale, Cameron, McCluggage, Starcevich, Andrews, Zorko.

Very good- Coleman, McCarthy, Bailey.

Admittedly Harris and Zorks are currently not in their best form, hopefully can be somewhere near their best tomorrow and in finals, Berry close to very good as a wing as well.

No change to Squggle this time post team announcement (well not a statistically significant one)

Brisbane Lions
Brisbane Lions 82 - 80 Melbourne
Melbourne

Gabba (QLD)

HGA:
Brisbane Lions
+11.1 pts

Ins/Outs:
Melbourne
+0.3 pts

We have our fair share of elite-very good players for the roles they play IMO.

Elite- Neale, Cameron, McCluggage, Starcevich, Andrews, Zorko.

Very good- Coleman, McCarthy, Bailey.

Admittedly Harris and Zorks are currently not in their best form, hopefully can be somewhere near their best tomorrow and in finals, Berry close to very good as a wing as well.

Harris has lost his grip on elite status for a while now.

I understand why Kai's barrow is being pushed hard by some.

I also believe this is not the game for him to be the sub.

If our already potent forward line is not performing, how does replacing one of our forwards with KL add any value?

Alternatively, we would need one of Charlie, Zac or Linc to go down in game for Kai to be a like for like replacement.

Just seems like a low percentage hedge bet to me.

I much prefer Robbo or Lester and the more I think about it, the more I would be inclined to go with Lester, just because he is a better bet as a utility player forward, mid or down back

Lohmann has played what 3 games ? Think Robbo is the perfect fit.

I prefer Lester but won't be devastated if Robbo gets the nod.

We know neither will leave anything in the tank and that's all you can ask.

I hope they don't go down the Fort route.

Like Lohmann, a very low %age hedge bet.

Neale will focus on blocking and helping out other teammates if he's being tagged

I think a better option would be for Matho to try to go to Harmon and provide coverage for Lachie.

Tag the tagger.

Fages spoke previously about how Matho had been asked to perform different roles in the team structure.

Expecting Lachie to revert to another worker bee role is just conceding our #1 asset to the opposition.

Like everyone else here, I’m really excited about Kai’s long term potential.

Short term, you’re hoping he puts pressure on McCarthy to keep performing, and is McCarthy’s probable successor.

Long term, you hope he can have the type of impact through the midfield, that Heeney can, while playing predominantly forward.

But he really shouldn’t be our injury reserve at this stage of his career.

Ideally, it should be one of Robinson, Robertson or Cockatoo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back