Preview Round 23 - Port Adelaide Power vs Fremantle Dockers - Sunday 25th August 2019 @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
A week is a long time in footy, this season has felt like ten lifetimes. What a rollercoaster.

While most supporters woud've been happy with a 10 win season, contending for finals, a reduciton of the number of blowouts, a more free flowing and higher scoring game style, we were well on track until the inevitiable mid-season slump popped its ugly head up for the fifth season in a row. What promised to be a shift flogging the lololnorf by 82 points and kicking 21 goals, we came crashing back to earth the following week at Metricon stadium by a team that has now lost the past 17 games in a row.

This was the most 'Freo' season I can remember; winning the games we weren't expected to and dropping the games we should've won. Kicking the ball to McGovern, Barrass and Hurn in the derbies, deplorable skills and the good ol' 'bomb it in long!' We relied on too few to carry us through and once again our depth was exposed.

It felt like a season of 'what ifs?' What if we won those close losses against Gold Coast, St Kilda and Carlton and we play finals. Does Ross Lyon see out his contract and get an extension? What if our key position players could stay healthy, would we have played differently?

It was disappointing that we didn't get to see first year draftees Sam Sturt or Luke Valente, AB progressed well and Cerra stagnated, although looked better the more time he got in the middle and we got to see our first ever NGA product Jason Carter given his first game, with Liam Henry to join him next season. We said goobye to our biggest and smallest men on our list, Sandi and Ballas and adios to the perenially injured Colin Young, err, Bennell and Kersten, who were once touted as the great hopes of turning our club around until Jason Weber got his hands on them. This could be the last time we see Billy and Langdon running the wings in purple with them both reported seeking a route back to the big V.

With the coach sacked, no CEO and players queing up in the injury room and at the boarding gates to get out of the club, I think most supporters are feeling flat at the end of the season. With the appointment of a new coach, list manager, a trade and draft period and preseason reports to look forward to, the mood will lift and the purple passion will only be stronger next year.

Onto this week's game, with both team's with nothing much to play for and the player's mind's probably on holiday, i'm just hoping for no injuries to either side. Hale will be taking the reins and it would be great to see him just let the boys play with a bit of freedom and get some joy back out of footy. Adelaide hasn't been too kind to us in the past and I can't see that changing this week.

Port by 29 points in a lacklustre closure to the AFL regular season.

I'm both excited and nervous to see how the players respond to what's happened this week. It will be the last game in purple for a few players.

Will be a hard game to sit through honestly.

random thoughts about this game:

- do we dead cat bounce & win immediately following Ross' demise?
- what's David Hale's game plan? be interesting to see
- how will the players react to the week's events? have they checked out or are they fired up?
- will they play Auld Lang Syne instead of Never Tear Us Apart at Radelaide Oval?

I kinda have a feeling that this game will be the last one read out on Brownlow night on a day where the final siren will be the winner

- how will the players react to the week's events? have they checked out or are they fired up?
- will they play Auld Lang Syne instead of Never Tear Us Apart at Radelaide Oval?

I kinda have a feeling that this game will be the last one read out on Brownlow night on a day where the final siren will be the winner
Fyfe wins the game after the siren and gets the 3 votes to pinch the medal by 1 from Lachie Neale.

Will anybody care including the players.
Should be a great example of circle work,

This is my concern. I wonder if we send any players for early surgery.

I think we lose by 6 goals. I am on a plane so I won't know until I land. Hope I am wrong but I think we get crushed early and when Port get rolling they have the ability to pile on the goals. They are playing for far more than we are.

Yeah I’m hoping Fyfe goes beast mode this game. By my calculations a 2 or 3 vote game should see him win the Brownlow.

This is my concern. I wonder if we send any players for early surgery.

I think we lose by 6 goals. I am on a plane so I won't know until I land. Hope I am wrong but I think we get crushed early and when Port get rolling they have the ability to pile on the goals. They are playing for far more than we are.
Forget the coach, we are fielding a better team than beat premiership favourites Geelong only a couple of weeks ago.

Port got flogged because they are not that good.

Hale will know exactly what he thinks he needs to tweak to win

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hughes named in the centre? Don’t recall that happening before
Actually don’t mind that. Runs all day. But the 22 they put on paper is just for show. I hope we don’t just go out playing the same positions all season. Try some new things and put Cerra extended period in the middle with Blakey. Hughes on the wing. Duman up high too.
Even try Logue up forward and in the middle. It’ll be depressing if we loss and just the same crap as from the past 2 weeks

Blakely at back pocket. Obviously his papers were irreversibly marked “defender” by this coaching group.

Cerra forward as well. Looks like we are trying some things.

Hughes named in the centre? Don’t recall that happening before

They do this every week. It’s like it’s an inside joke. Langdon has been named at CHF a bunch of times and guys all over the place.

I hope we try some things though. Should have brought in sturt North and Dixon and thrown the magnets around. No game plan, forwards stay deep, just go get the footy

They do this every week. It’s like it’s an inside joke. Langdon has been named at CHF a bunch of times and guys all over the place.

I hope we try some things though. Should have brought in sturt North and Dixon and thrown the magnets around. No game plan, forwards stay deep, just go get the footy
Tucker at CHF >>>> Langdon at CHF.

Confusing, unless they have already decided to delist North and trade Dixon. I have watched the last 5 or 6 Peel games, and it has not been pretty. The chance of people playing very well at Peel unless they are on ball, or more particularly, an inside mid is basically impossible. Peel's game plan is a shambles. The delivery into the always crowded forward line is slow, and when it eventually goes in, terrible. A key forward has little hope to find space and get the ball on the lead. Against South Fremantle, Peel had six entries inside 50 in the first half. Macarthy and Dixon touched it once each. In the second half they got more opportunity and ended up with 10 or so disposals each. Dixon took some good contested marks, missed two easy shots on goal, and gave a few off. Macarthy did better than first half but certainly didn't show as much as Dixon. He gets the call-up and has seven shots on goal against Essedon. Dixon plays against Swan Districts and after a promising start gets caught in the rabble that is Peel. Long bombs to a crowded forward line. I wanted Fremantle to use this game to show North and Dixon what is required at AFL level. I wanted them to do that last year with Dixon in the last game. He was Peel's best in the second last game against Claremont, kicked 3 or 4, and took some huge contested marks. Fremantle got beaten by 133 by Geelong same weekend but there was no call up. Should have given him a sniff. Obviously, his pre-season was s**t, he didn't do the work required, came back in poor shape and this led to continual soft tissue injuries and poor form. North probably in same boat. I thought it was interesting when Lyon singled out Dixon as a chance to debut after Geelong win. It said he had improved his application, was getting fitter and Lyon had "forgiven" him and thought he definitely could bring something to the team. Since then nothing. Think he must be gone. North, not so sure what has happened. Has shown plenty at times and he has the ability. I think the club really needs to look at player development and the training, playing and support structures, that offer individuals the best chance of success.
PS Oh, there may be a few other things the organisation needs to look at as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back