Preview Round 23: Richmond v Brisbane | MCG | Sunday 3.20 (25/8)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is everyone trying to bring in Pickett? You gotta earn your spot, what's he done one good VFL game? Would be pretty harsh to the other blokes that have had good years in the VFL and are the reason they are minor premiers.

Also, so if we beat Brisbane by 65 points we would finish above them on the ladder and could finish as high as second.

We're gonna finish first

I don't think Brisbane will be too worried about that. Below is a list of the hoodoos they have broken this year.

BRISBANE HOODOOS BROKEN
* Will be first finals campaign since 2009
* Beat Sydney for the first time since 2009
* Beat West Coast and Adelaide for the first time since 2012
* Beat Geelong and GWS for first time since 2013
* Beat North Melbourne for the first time since 2014

They are a real danger game. Still think the Richmond gets the win as Lions pretty much have a top 2 spot guaranteed.

I know, records are made to be broken, and if anyone doubts that, they just need to remember that Geelong had a pretty good stretch against us until the finals in 2017.

Still good to think about though...and a bit of banter here and there.

I don’t know if anyone follows or cares about the Victorian Wheelchair League and where to post this, but just wanted to say that Richmond have made the Grand Final! Back to back Grand Final appearances. They have a bye the last round, but are currently 1st on the ladder with the winner of the Collingwood vs Essendon game to join us. If Collingwood win, we finish 1st. If Essendon win, they finish first and we finish 2nd, still qualifying for the GF. If they draw, then Essendon make it at 2nd and we finish 1st.
We care...and it's frikken awesome. Go Wheelie Tigs !!!

Castagna has been a defender. Initially when recruited potential as a defender was there.

When he plays forward its as a defensive forward is it not from the old days of shifting Jake King from defense to forward.

Castagna is probably the only play who can compete with Cameron in terms of agility, speed and leap aerially so he can just tag Cameron and have the greatest effect for our team versus Lions with Grimes down back to.

We need to smash the Lions, snuff them out and show no mercy.

If Castagna is not on Cameron start of the game I know we are tanking!!!
Go and have a lie down.

Round 23 – Richmond vs Brisbane, MCG, Sunday 25/8 @ 3.20pm
View attachment 730017
TV: Channel 7
Radio: TBC
It is hard to believe it was now 22 weeks ago the season started the same way it has for a number of years now – with a Richmond win over Carlton. Coincidentally, it was the same night our premiership hopes were ended thanks to a season-ending knee injury to Alex Rance. First the recruitment of ‘Liability’ Lynch, then the loss of Alex Rance. The tigers could not possibly compete without the best/most overrated (choose which best suits your argument) defender in the competition.

Somehow, here we stand. In some ways incredibly similar to this time in 2017 – 4thplace on the ladder, a win this week probably resulting in a QF matchup against the Cats, a loss and we are headed for an EF against whichever mid-table side chokes the least and grabs 8th. And there is quite a list of teams able to grab 8th, including this weeks opponent, the much improved Brisbane Lions.

Pre season I thought the lions would be big improvers this season, but would ultimately be proven to be not quite there yet as they miss the finals. And once again, I will be proven correct as a big tigers win will end their faint finals hopes on Sunday afternoon.

*looks at ladder*

View attachment 730016

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BRISBANE ARE ON TOP OF THE LADDER?
THE SAME TEAM THAT KICKED 2 GOALS AGAINST US LAST YEAR HAS SCORED THE MOST POINTS OF ALL TEAMS THIS SEASON AND IS ON TOP OF THE LADDER?????

View attachment 730019
(Pictured: Brisbane forgets to score)

Yep, the Lions have improved a lot this season. It started with a stunning 44pt win over West Coast despite conceding a 5 goal quarter time lead, and most recently a stirring 1pt win over Geelong. They are the only team on a longer winning streak than us, with 9 in a row. They are going to take some beating. And while I bloody hope we do it, I want all the Brisbane fans to know that I wish them nothing but the best – except when they face us. I am in admiration of how they’ve built a culture young players want to be in, just a few years after they were haemorrhaging players back to Victoria. Any team that beats Collingwood in a GF – not just once, but twice – IN A ROW – deserves some respect as well.

Key Players
Lachie Neale
This man is enjoying the sun and a non-Ross Lyon game plan. While he’s perhaps not in the same form he was in earlier in the season when he was well in the Brownlow discussion, he is still averaging 30 disposals and 7.6 clearances per game which is simply elite. He is averaging 6 score involvements per game – slightly lower than Dusty’s 7.1 which is somewhat inflated by his significant time spent forward. He was also very good on Saturday with 29 disposals, 6 clearances, 5 inside 50s and a goal. Simply put – let him off the chain and we’re in trouble.

View attachment 730013
(Pictured: Harry Styles was once a great junior footballer)

Charlie Cameron
Actually, scratch that. Chris Scott reckons he had no impact on the game on Saturday. Just kicked 5 goals (25% of the total goals kicked) in a 1pt game. Trash player, goes missing in big moments and particularly in the 2ndhalf against top 4 opposition. Just 4 goals in the 2ndhalf

View attachment 730014
(Pictured: don’t forget he was part of this)

Dustin Martin
The man that needs no introduction- but I’ll give him one anyway.
The 3 x AA, 2 x JD medallist, Brownlow medallist, Norm Smith medallist, Gary Ayres medallist, Richmond premiership player, His Royal Highness – Dustin Martin.
Many have pondered whether he could – if anyone could – reach the same magical form he had in 2017. Well – here it is.
His last 4 games read like this.
R18 v Port: 30 disposals, 6 score involvements, 581m gained, 8 I50s, 5 clearances, 1 goal
R19 v Coll: 38 disposals, 11 SIs, 663m gained, 8 I50s, 4 clearances, 2 goals
R20 v Melb: 34 disposals, 10 SIs, 418m gained, 11 I50s, 5 clearances, 1 goal
R22 v WCE: 35 disposals, 8 SIs, 818m gained, 13 I50s (career high), 6 clearances, 1 goal

I’d imagine plenty of work will be put into him this week, but I’m not exactly sure he can be stopped when he’s in this form. And if work is put into him, it will only free up Dion Prestia.

View attachment 730012
(Pictured: one of the rare moments Dusty drifted into our dimension on Sunday)

Expected teams
I have NFI with us anymore. This is how the two teams ran out last week

Richmond
Astbury, Broad, Grimes
Houli, Vlastuin, Short
Ellis, Prestia, Caddy
Rioli, Bolton, Lambert
Graham, Lynch, Riewoldt
Soldo, Edwards, Martin
Castagna, Ross, Chol, Baker.

If Nank’s back, either Chol or Soldo will go. I used to be all in for a Nank/Chol combo, now I’m not sure. Chol has been quiet for a few weeks now. Pickett is a tantalising prospect too. I honestly have no idea what we’ll do. Grimes could be an out too – Garthwaite and Balta would be in the box seat, Garth is more reliable, but a backline with both he and Astbury feels too slowww. Fingers crossed for Grimes.

Brisbane
Hodge, Andrews, Adams
Rayner, Gardiner, Rich
McCarthy, Zorko, Robinson
Cameron, Hipwood, McCluggage
Answerth, McStay, Berry
Martin, Neale, Lyons
Christensen, Witherden, Bailey, McInerney

Brisbane’s only change since R18 has been Walker replacing Andrews when he was suspended for a week. I don’t see much reason for them to change except for 1 forced by what Fagan described as a 2 to 4 week hammy for Allen Christensen. Who replaces him? Again, great insight here, I don’t know.
Note – Hugh McCluggage is probably my favourite name on any AFL list.

Tip
I’d like to preface this by saying that in the last 18 games we’ve played against Brisbane, there have been just two different types. Those we’ve won, and those I’ve attended. We’ve had a 16-1-1 record against them – and with myself in attendance, it’s 0-1-1. At this stage, I intend on going to the football on Sunday.

That being said, it is pretty bloody obvious to point out that the Richmond of the last 3 years is entirely different to that of the 35 before that, and I don’t think my attendance will have any bearing on the result. Nor will the winning streak we hold over Brisbane. They have been considerably worse than us for much of this time – but this year they are not.
We are in seriously hot form, and Sunday we showed something that we don’t seem to show often – we played from behind. We were beaten early but not only were we able to arrest the momentum, but we were able to claw our way back. That sort of thing will hold us in good stead against a Lions side that will be pumped up and may jump us. Brisbane too are on fire, but I think we’ve got a few too many avenues to goal for them to hold us at bay all day, and we’ll have a decisive 20min period at some point where we kick 4 or 5 goals to 1 and set up a 16pt win.
View attachment 730015View attachment 730022View attachment 730023View attachment 730024
Great preview mate! Well done!
I'll look out for you at the game and say g'day now that you have revealed your secret identity:
Screenshot 2019-08-20 18.11.01.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soldo would have to be the biggest ruck in the league in terms of height and weight combo. I hope he continues to get confidence and perhaps he can start grabbing the ball out of the ruck as another string to his bow. It will immediately make him more dangerous i50 especially.

If the eagles couldn't beat us with a 5 goal head start then the lions are not beating us either.

And then on the monday we buy all the tickets again by entering CATS and the scatter flogs will be up in arms again, Dangerfield will be on radio in the week leading up to the QF whinging about where the game is played, we will boo then scats out onto the ground before giving them a hiding and moving on to the prelim against an interstate side and then onto the GF against an interstate side where we will bury them.

Now where has this happened before i wonder :think:

Still my favourite tweet of all time 💞😂

Doesn't seem like a lot of people here have seen Brisbane play...

Will be as good as the WCE game, I think!
I've watched a good few games from Brizzy this year and make no mistake they are fast and hard at it. I do believe though that our hardened bodies will be harder at it for longer and we should prevail here. Need Grimes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back