Preview Round 23: Richmond v Brisbane | MCG | Sunday 3.20 (25/8)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Round 23 – Richmond vs Brisbane, MCG, Sunday 25/8 @ 3.20pm
tigeslions.png
TV: Channel 7
Radio: Triple M, 3AW, ABC
It is hard to believe it was now 22 weeks ago the season started the same way it has for a number of years now – with a Richmond win over Carlton. Coincidentally, it was the same night our premiership hopes were ended thanks to a season-ending knee injury to Alex Rance. First the recruitment of ‘Liability’ Lynch, then the loss of Alex Rance. The tigers could not possibly compete without the best/most overrated (choose which best suits your argument) defender in the competition.

Somehow, here we stand. In some ways incredibly similar to this time in 2017 – 4thplace on the ladder, a win this week probably resulting in a QF matchup against the Cats, a loss and we are headed for an EF against whichever mid-table side chokes the least and grabs 8th. And there is quite a list of teams able to grab 8th, including this weeks opponent, the much improved Brisbane Lions.

Pre season I thought the lions would be big improvers this season, but would ultimately be proven to be not quite there yet as they miss the finals. And once again, I will be proven correct as a big tigers win will end their faint finals hopes on Sunday afternoon.

*looks at ladder*

the-simpsons-coffee-spit.jpg

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BRISBANE ARE ON TOP OF THE LADDER?
THE SAME TEAM THAT KICKED 2 GOALS AGAINST US LAST YEAR HAS SCORED THE MOST POINTS OF ALL TEAMS THIS SEASON AND IS ON TOP OF THE LADDER?????

r418.png
(Pictured: Brisbane forgets to score)

Yep, the Lions have improved a lot this season. It started with a stunning 44pt win over West Coast despite conceding a 5 goal quarter time lead, and most recently a stirring 1pt win over Geelong. They are the only team on a longer winning streak than us, with 9 in a row. They are going to take some beating. And while I bloody hope we do it, I want all the Brisbane fans to know that I wish them nothing but the best – except when they face us. I am in admiration of how they’ve built a culture young players want to be in, just a few years after they were haemorrhaging players back to Victoria. Any team that beats Collingwood in a GF – not just once, but twice – IN A ROW – deserves some respect as well.

Key Players
Lachie Neale
This man is enjoying the sun and a non-Ross Lyon game plan. While he’s perhaps not in the same form he was in earlier in the season when he was well in the Brownlow discussion, he is still averaging 30 disposals and 7.6 clearances per game which is simply elite. He is averaging 6 score involvements per game – slightly lower than Dusty’s 7.1 which is somewhat inflated by his significant time spent forward. He was also very good on Saturday with 29 disposals, 6 clearances, 5 inside 50s and a goal. Simply put – let him off the chain and we’re in trouble.

nealestyles.jpg
(Pictured: Harry Styles was once a great junior footballer)

Charlie Cameron
Actually, scratch that. Chris Scott reckons he had no impact on the game on Saturday. Just kicked 5 goals (25% of the total goals kicked) in a 1pt game. Trash player, goes missing in big moments and particularly in the 2ndhalf against top 4 opposition. Just 4 goals in the 2ndhalf

powerstance.jpg
(Pictured: don’t forget he was part of this)

Dustin Martin
The man that needs no introduction- but I’ll give him one anyway.
The 3 x AA, 2 x JD medallist, Brownlow medallist, Norm Smith medallist, Gary Ayres medallist, Richmond premiership player, His Royal Highness – Dustin Martin.
Many have pondered whether he could – if anyone could – reach the same magical form he had in 2017. Well – here it is.
His last 4 games read like this.
R18 v Port: 30 disposals, 6 score involvements, 581m gained, 8 I50s, 5 clearances, 1 goal
R19 v Coll: 38 disposals, 11 SIs, 663m gained, 8 I50s, 4 clearances, 2 goals
R20 v Melb: 34 disposals, 10 SIs, 418m gained, 11 I50s, 5 clearances, 1 goal
R22 v WCE: 35 disposals, 8 SIs, 818m gained, 13 I50s (career high), 6 clearances, 1 goal

I’d imagine plenty of work will be put into him this week, but I’m not exactly sure he can be stopped when he’s in this form. And if work is put into him, it will only free up Dion Prestia.

dusty.jpg
(Pictured: one of the rare moments Dusty drifted into our dimension on Sunday)

Expected teams
I have NFI with us anymore. This is how the two teams ran out last week

Richmond
Astbury, Broad, Grimes
Houli, Vlastuin, Short
Ellis, Prestia, Caddy
Rioli, Bolton, Lambert
Graham, Lynch, Riewoldt
Soldo, Edwards, Martin
Castagna, Ross, Chol, Baker.

If Nank’s back, either Chol or Soldo will go. I used to be all in for a Nank/Chol combo, now I’m not sure. Chol has been quiet for a few weeks now. Pickett is a tantalising prospect too. I honestly have no idea what we’ll do. Grimes could be an out too – Garthwaite and Balta would be in the box seat, Garth is more reliable, but a backline with both he and Astbury feels too slowww. Fingers crossed for Grimes.

Brisbane
Hodge, Andrews, Adams
Rayner, Gardiner, Rich
McCarthy, Zorko, Robinson
Cameron, Hipwood, McCluggage
Answerth, McStay, Berry
Martin, Neale, Lyons
Christensen, Witherden, Bailey, McInerney

Brisbane’s only change since R18 has been Walker replacing Andrews when he was suspended for a week. I don’t see much reason for them to change except for 1 forced by what Fagan described as a 2 to 4 week hammy for Allen Christensen. Who replaces him? Again, great insight here, I don’t know.
Note – Hugh McCluggage is probably my favourite name on any AFL list.

Tip
I’d like to preface this by saying that in the last 18 games we’ve played against Brisbane, there have been just two different types. Those we’ve won, and those I’ve attended. We’ve had a 16-1-1 record against them – and with myself in attendance, it’s 0-1-1. At this stage, I intend on going to the football on Sunday.

That being said, it is pretty bloody obvious to point out that the Richmond of the last 3 years is entirely different to that of the 35 before that, and I don’t think my attendance will have any bearing on the result. Nor will the winning streak we hold over Brisbane. They have been considerably worse than us for much of this time – but this year they are not.
We are in seriously hot form, and Sunday we showed something that we don’t seem to show often – we played from behind. We were beaten early but not only were we able to arrest the momentum, but we were able to claw our way back. That sort of thing will hold us in good stead against a Lions side that will be pumped up and may jump us. Brisbane too are on fire, but I think we’ve got a few too many avenues to goal for them to hold us at bay all day, and we’ll have a decisive 20min period at some point where we kick 4 or 5 goals to 1 and set up a 16pt win.
premiers.jpg grimes-greene.png jgthatis.png trusty.png

Last edited:
Pumped for this game.
Feeling relaxed given we have a good tough run before the finals, make sure we are finals ready.

Confident about this game, Agree that Cotch and Nank come back in.

Only one game at the MCG this year for the lions... flogged early in the year by a warm and cold Essendon.

Will be interesting to see how they go against a real team on the G.

They’re up and about. Reckon a loss probably does them good going into finals. Bit of a reality check. Very good team.

I hope for excitements sake the game trumps last weekends. But for my sanity’s sake I hope not.

I just can't see Brisbane getting within 30pts of us this weekend.
I haven't seen any of their games this year, and obviously they're playing much improved football, but we will be supremely confident against a team we have beaten with ease over the last...decade, especially at the G.

Hopefully we don't go in too overconfident...like me!

Great preview.

Sounds like Grimey and Chimp will get up, but no Nank.

In: Cotchin, Out: Ross

We haven't lost to this mob in over 10 years. Sure they'll probably get closer than they did last year considering they're much better.

Richmond by 82.

Last edited:
Great write up. Cheers.

Did anyone see the Bris v Cats game? Was it as intense and physical as the Tigers game?
Because my concern is that we will have some very sore and tired boys after that game yesterday.
I'm hoping they will be rested/recovered enough to face what will be a very determined Lions outfit.

If I was an Eagles fan I'd be very worried about the Hawks next week too.

Great write up. Cheers.

Did anyone see the Bris v Cats game? Was it as intense and physical as the Tigers game?
Because my concern is that we will have some very sore and tired boys after that game yesterday.
I'm hoping they will be rested/recovered enough to face what will be a very determined Lions outfit.

If I was an Eagles fan I'd be very worried about the Hawks next week too.
Was 28 degrees or something for their game so not ideal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fantastic preview, looking forward to Sunday's game. Most of us Lions supporters know a loss is incoming, whether it be against Bulldogs a few weeks ago or last weekend against Geelong.

Tipping a close game until 3/4 time, before Lynch kicks 2 in a minute to give you guys the win. We are prone to temporary lapses and no doubt last weekend was a big emotional win for us. We have a few young bodies in there, after a bruising encounter.

Hope Grimes recovers and we get to see him on the MCG this week and in finals. All the best (not this week pls) and pray for no injuries to either side. This week will be a long wait. Impressive win against the free kick Eagles!

Doesn't seem like a lot of people here have seen Brisbane play...

Will be as good as the WCE game, I think!

Brisbane vs top 8 sides in 2019 4-3
Brisbane vs top 8 sides away from GABBA in 2019 1-2
Brisbane vs top 8 sides in 2019 in Victoria 0-2.

Have watched all their games since the bro is a supporter. They they improved, but 14 games vs this years bottom 10 has probably inflated their record a bit. They haven’t have come up against anything like our system and pressure either which their slow methodical build up style will play into our hands.

Richmond by 36

Ross wasn’t great but neither was Rioli.
I think he’s very lucky Stacky’s having a holiday.

I thought Ross was not to bad. A few far worse than Ross.

Clanger on the flank towards the end was his only mistake I thought. Played with heart, did some desperate things!!

He was on the bench for a while at times so numbers have to be down

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back