Autopsy Round 23 V Brisbane Good, Bad and the ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

It did have the look of a 'fixed' game but other than the usual home crowd factor I can't see what conspiratorial benefit there is to Brisbane finishing 4th over WB.

Brisbane are the only team other than Port that can have a home final with a crowd that makes the AFL some money. So I guess they get a home semi/prelim instead of a home elimination final. OK?
Yeah, agreed.

Look even if they wanted to, we all know the AFL are not competent enough to "fix" anything. I'm backing good old fashioned spud-ness.

Negatives -
- UNACCEPTABLE BRAIN FADE FROM COLE. FU*K YOU FOR ENDING OUR SEASON AND GIVING MOMENTUM TO THEM. ENJOY YOUR GATORADE SHOWER IN THE BRISBANE CHANGE ROOMS.
- Sheed is also soo bad. His slow decision making is hurting the team such as when he got done HTB which gave them a goal during our surge. As the OP said, he's lucky to be in the team based on reputation. Also failed to make a tackle, not surprising considering how soft and weak he is.
- Brander's brain fade and giving them a goal when we were surging. Was pretty average other than that. Looks like his cards are stamped. Would've been much better in hindsight to draft Allen at 13.
- Thanks to Cole, they had a final quarter surge.
- First quarter remind me of the Freo and Collingwood game.
- Selection were poor again. Was too tall and this was the game where we can get away with Allen in the ruck. They overran us at the end as we lacked extra runners.
- Some of our entries are poor and we lacked pressure at times which allowed them to rebound it out.
- Waterman, also near useless. A lot of cheap touches down back. Stay forward FFS. Not the worst selection structurally as he would've been the ideal third tall if Vardy wasn't playing. Felt a small should've been in his place.
- Vardy played his best game. Unfortunately 6 disposals, two goals and 7 hitouts from 62% TOG means it's still a spud game. Also shouldn't be in the side.
- Allen concussed. Thank goodness the seasons over.
- Umpiring was absolutely trash. Shame on the umps, they must of waged for Brisbane to win.

Meh =
=
Hutch was pretty decent despite not seeming to tag. He looked to take the game on at times and his showing some class.
= Gaff used the ball nicely from less touches. Looked to attack more and tackled well. Looked down from his usual output though. Wished he returned to his 2020 form.
= Nelson tried hard and was pretty good with his ball use.
= Foley looked AFL standard out there but needs more composure for me.
= H.Edwards improving, still needs to crash a contest like H.Andrews and bulk up more in the off season to play on gorillas more effectively. Was pretty decent on McStay and Daniher but was out of position at times.
= Barrass got beaten at times but it was due to them getting it quickly. I'd say he was good in killing his fair share of contests and looked to attack with ball in hand instead of his usual sideways or backwards.
= Petch looked ok as the sub. Provided extra run and bought some energy in the team.
= Cripps was decent in his pressure and kicked two nice goals. Crumbed well and was one of our better tacklers (that missed tackled that costed us a goal wouldn't had happened if Brander didn't stuff that kick up).

Positives +
+ Nic Nat with this game must of cemented his spot in the AA team. 24 disposals (22 contested possessions), 11 clearances and 53 hitouts from 73% TOG. Smashed Big O and played his career best game. Fu*k the AA selection panel if they don't include him.
+ We done well to keep in the game against a top 4 side and claw our way back in until Cole fu*ked us over.
+ Despite the loss, they had a near full strength side missing Hipwwod and H.Andrews whereas we were missing JK, Hurn, Gov, Allen during the match, Kelly, Rioli and Sheppard.
+ Shuey was one our bests. 35 disposals, game high of 12 clearances and looked to attack. That torp to Darling was beautiful.
+ Yeo, played like a man possessed. Took on the hardened Brisbane mids and showed his strong core strength breaking tackle after tackle. Was a contested bull that we needed and carried the midfield along with Shuey. The only one besides Jones who made sure his tackles stick unlike some of our players.
+ Witherden played very well against his old side. His ball use is sublime and hardly wastes a disposal as he had 88% DE from 24 disposals. Perfect replacement for Hurn once he retires next year as his body's done.
+ West looked pretty good up forward. He crumbed well, tackled well and was good on ground level. Team looked much better when he played that defensive forward role on Rich. More great things to come.
+ Darling much better, three goals and two behinds. Didn't get outmarked and bought the ball to ground.
+ Ryan showed glimpses of his 2020 form and done a good job in leading up and added pressure as well.
+ Jones although he didn't do much in attack, he was the only one to tackle hard and made sure his tackles stuck as they didn't go anywhere once he stuck them. His eight tackles was a team high. Best 22 player for me for sure.
+ Rotham didn't lose a contest and was pretty good on C.Cameron. Cameron only scored through fast breaks which any defender cannot stop. Also Rotham looked to attack as well and was clean this time with his disposals.
+ Despite allowing them to make top 4. At least the Dogs have to fight it hard in finals :)

Final thoughts.

It's my birthday today and another relative also having a birthday party as their birthday is near mine so at the start of the fourth quarter, I was given a choice to stay and watch the final quarter or go to the party. I chose the former which is staying to watch the final quarter and oh boy Cole made my blood boil with that brain fade.

As soon as I saw our performance in round 1 against the Suns, it was clear we weren't a top 4 side from the way we were playing and we were lucky to overrun them in the final quarter. But then I expected us to make the 8 but it gotten worse and our wins bar Port in a pretty wet Optus deck have been uninspiring (the Freo win was because they allowed us to win by being unaccountable).

I'd say were pretty good during our surge but this was the game where we had some injuries and were too unaccountable in the first quarter and in the last. Cole's brain fade was unacceptable and costed us the game, I was screaming very loudly. However, even Cole didn't had that brain fade, would've they overran us in the end? I think they would've and Cole's brain fade sped things up. I'd say it was the difference to them making top 4 and missing out on top four. The reason why I think they would've overran us was because of our top heavy selection. We were down an extra runner which would've made a difference and Brisbane don't overrun us. A smaller player would've been able to help lock in the ball in our F50 instead of them rebounding it out. I felt we should've had Allen, and Darling KPFs with Allen in the ruck and Petch instead of Vardy and probably Langdon instead of Waterman, would've gave us the extra run we needed.

During our momentum, the team's defense was pretty high up which was good and I personally prefer it but the problem to that is risking easy out the back goals if they win the contest and spread it out as our team's leg speed isn't the best to shut it down and our tackling pressure and speed is below average to stop any counter attack surges.

Well season is over and the loss would feel much better if GWS and Essendon win against Carlton and Collingwood respectively. Even if finals are in WA due to the state being COVID free. I don't see us winning the flag at all. The loss at home to wooded spooners Norf, a lesser Essendon side, against a top side in the Dees and allowing a depleted lesser Freo side smash us at home and losing to a bottom 4 Collingwood side at the G means the club is highly unlikely to win the flag, there was already warning signs after the Saints loss earlier in the year. The gap between us and top sides are enourmous, at best we'll make it to the semi final and even if we gotten past the semi final by a miracle and better coaching, the team would've gotten smashed in the prelim against a top side as the gap between us and them are stark. We shouldn't be losing to a lesser side and we went 2-7 after the bye which if we're at our best we win at least eight of those games (yes including beating Brisbane at the Gabba considering we played ok against them) as the draw was pretty soft post bye.

If the team continues to go with the same old stale gameplan and obsolete zone defense which relies on intercept marking then the team WILL FINISH BOTTOM 4 NEXT YEAR especially with our aging players and if we don't have a good pre season and same old stale plan then we'll finish bottom 2 with all our wins coming from rubbish sides at home and we'll lose a lot more more games next year. It was clear our floor was dropped as our best and worst games are a mile away from each other.

Anyways, this maybe my possible last post for a Positive and Negatives autopsy thread of the year but I may post more on this particular thread if I'm interested though. Good luck for 2022.

Positives - played pretty well overall. Naitanui, Shuey and Yeo were good-very good.
Negatives - Defense was really ordinary. Sheed so many coach killers, but this isn't new, he just did more today than usual (why he is never dropped is amazing really). Cole coach killers as well in 4th quarter

Negatives -
- UNACCEPTABLE BRAIN FADE FROM COLE. FU*K YOU FOR ENDING OUR SEASON AND GIVING MOMENTUM TO THEM. ENJOY YOUR GATORADE SHOWER IN THE BRISBANE CHANGE ROOMS.
- Sheed is also soo bad. His slow decision making is hurting the team such as when he got done HTB which gave them a goal during our surge. As the OP said, he's lucky to be in the team based on reputation. Also failed to make a tackle, not surprising considering how soft and weak he is.
- Brander's brain fade and giving them a goal when we were surging. Was pretty average other than that. Looks like his cards are stamped. Would've been much better in hindsight to draft Allen at 13.
- Thanks to Cole, they had a final quarter surge.
- First quarter remind me of the Freo and Collingwood game.
- Selection were poor again. Was too tall and this was the game where we can get away with Allen in the ruck. They overran us at the end as we lacked extra runners.
- Some of our entries are poor and we lacked pressure at times which allowed them to rebound it out.
- Waterman, also near useless. A lot of cheap touches down back. Stay forward FFS. Not the worst selection structurally as he would've been the ideal third tall if Vardy wasn't playing. Felt a small should've been in his place.
- Vardy played his best game. Unfortunately 6 disposals, two goals and 7 hitouts from 62% TOG means it's still a spud game. Also shouldn't be in the side.
- Allen concussed. Thank goodness the seasons over.
- Umpiring was absolutely trash. Shame on the umps, they must of waged for Brisbane to win.

Meh =
=
Hutch was pretty decent despite not seeming to tag. He looked to take the game on at times and his showing some class.
= Gaff used the ball nicely from less touches. Looked to attack more and tackled well. Looked down from his usual output though. Wished he returned to his 2020 form.
= Nelson tried hard and was pretty good with his ball use.
= Foley looked AFL standard out there but needs more composure for me.
= H.Edwards improving, still needs to crash a contest like H.Andrews and bulk up more in the off season to play on gorillas more effectively. Was pretty decent on McStay and Daniher but was out of position at times.
= Barrass got beaten at times but it was due to them getting it quickly. I'd say he was good in killing his fair share of contests and looked to attack with ball in hand instead of his usual sideways or backwards.
= Petch looked ok as the sub. Provided extra run and bought some energy in the team.
= Cripps was decent in his pressure and kicked two nice goals. Crumbed well and was one of our better tacklers (that missed tackled that costed us a goal wouldn't had happened if Brander didn't stuff that kick up).

Positives +
+ Nic Nat with this game must of cemented his spot in the AA team. 24 disposals (22 contested possessions), 11 clearances and 53 hitouts from 73% TOG. Smashed Big O and played his career best game. Fu*k the AA selection panel if they don't include him.
+ We done well to keep in the game against a top 4 side and claw our way back in until Cole fu*ked us over.
+ Despite the loss, they had a near full strength side missing Hipwwod and H.Andrews whereas we were missing JK, Hurn, Gov, Allen during the match, Kelly, Rioli and Sheppard.
+ Shuey was one our bests. 35 disposals, game high of 12 clearances and looked to attack. That torp to Darling was beautiful.
+ Yeo, played like a man possessed. Took on the hardened Brisbane mids and showed his strong core strength breaking tackle after tackle. Was a contested bull that we needed and carried the midfield along with Shuey. The only one besides Jones who made sure his tackles stick unlike some of our players.
+ Witherden played very well against his old side. His ball use is sublime and hardly wastes a disposal as he had 88% DE from 24 disposals. Perfect replacement for Hurn once he retires next year as his body's done.
+ West looked pretty good up forward. He crumbed well, tackled well and was good on ground level. Team looked much better when he played that defensive forward role on Rich. More great things to come.
+ Darling much better, three goals and two behinds. Didn't get outmarked and bought the ball to ground.
+ Ryan showed glimpses of his 2020 form and done a good job in leading up and added pressure as well.
+ Jones although he didn't do much in attack, he was the only one to tackle hard and made sure his tackles stuck as they didn't go anywhere once he stuck them. His eight tackles was a team high. Best 22 player for me for sure.
+ Rotham didn't lose a contest and was pretty good on C.Cameron. Cameron only scored through fast breaks which any defender cannot stop. Also Rotham looked to attack as well and was clean this time with his disposals.
+ Despite allowing them to make top 4. At least the Dogs have to fight it hard in finals :)

Final thoughts.

It's my birthday today and another relative also having a birthday party as their birthday is near mine so at the start of the fourth quarter, I was given a choice to stay and watch the final quarter or go to the party. I chose the former which is staying to watch the final quarter and oh boy Cole made my blood boil with that brain fade.

As soon as I saw our performance in round 1 against the Suns, it was clear we weren't a top 4 side from the way we were playing and we were lucky to overrun them in the final quarter. But then I expected us to make the 8 but it gotten worse and our wins bar Port in a pretty wet Optus deck have been uninspiring (the Freo win was because they allowed us to win by being unaccountable).

I'd say were pretty good during our surge but this was the game where we had some injuries and were too unaccountable in the first quarter and in the last. Cole's brain fade was unacceptable and costed us the game, I was screaming very loudly. However, even Cole didn't had that brain fade, would've they overran us in the end? I think they would've and Cole's brain fade sped things up. I'd say it was the difference to them making top 4 and missing out on top four. The reason why I think they would've overran us was because of our top heavy selection. We were down an extra runner which would've made a difference and Brisbane don't overrun us. A smaller player would've been able to help lock in the ball in our F50 instead of them rebounding it out. I felt we should've had Allen, and Darling KPFs with Allen in the ruck and Petch instead of Vardy and probably Langdon instead of Waterman, would've gave us the extra run we needed.

During our momentum, the team's defense was pretty high up which was good and I personally prefer it but the problem to that is risking easy out the back goals if they win the contest and spread it out as our team's leg speed isn't the best to shut it down and our tackling pressure and speed is below average to stop any counter attack surges.

Well season is over and the loss would feel much better if GWS and Essendon win against Carlton and Collingwood respectively. Even if finals are in WA due to the state being COVID free. I don't see us winning the flag at all. The loss at home to wooded spooners Norf, a lesser Essendon side, against a top side in the Dees and allowing a depleted lesser Freo side smash us at home and losing to a bottom 4 Collingwood side at the G means the club is highly unlikely to win the flag, there was already warning signs after the Saints loss earlier in the year. The gap between us and top sides are enourmous, at best we'll make it to the semi final and even if we gotten past the semi final by a miracle and better coaching, the team would've gotten smashed in the prelim against a top side as the gap between us and them are stark. We shouldn't be losing to a lesser side and we went 2-7 after the bye which if we're at our best we win at least eight of those games (yes including beating Brisbane at the Gabba considering we played ok against them) as the draw was pretty soft post bye.

If the team continues to go with the same old stale gameplan and obsolete zone defense which relies on intercept marking then the team WILL FINISH BOTTOM 4 NEXT YEAR especially with our aging players and if we don't have a good pre season and same old stale plan then we'll finish bottom 2 with all our wins coming from rubbish sides at home and we'll lose a lot more more games next year. It was clear our floor was dropped as our best and worst games are a mile away from each other.

Anyways, this maybe my possible last post for a Positive and Negatives autopsy thread of the year but I may post more on this particular thread if I'm interested though. Good luck for 2022.

Happy birthday 🙂

Yeah, agreed.

Look even if they wanted to, we all know the AFL are not competent enough to "fix" anything. I'm backing good old fashioned spud-ness.

I can just picture the reverse outcome in my head. The umpiring wasn't enough to sway the result (We still lost by 6 goals) but if Brisbane had been trying their guts out to get the margin they needed only to fall just short because the umpires decided to gift us goals and make up rules as they go we wouldn't be here posting about it because Chief would be in his server room with a fire extinguisher.

I can just picture the reverse outcome in my head. The umpiring wasn't enough to sway the result (We still lost by 6 goals) but if Brisbane had been trying their guts out to get the margin they needed only to fall just short because the umpires decided to gift us goals and make up rules as they go we wouldn't be here posting about it because Chief would be in his server room with a fire extinguisher.
My issue is more when the game was actually in contention, every 50/50 went their way, then there was the bullshit ones. I'm sure the AFL would argue technically correct, but it's just feel for the game (which is exactly the Darling example you gave, and the Cameron example I was talking about).

Another example - what the * was the Lachy Neal freekick shot for goal for? I know he didn't kick it so it matters less but * me, the s**t they chose to clamp down on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched it - and to respond to the end of the video - I reckon the Bulldogs fans would be more seething at the freekick that was paid straight after that than the relatively minor clock issue.

+ reading Dogs supporters upset at how reamed WC got by the umps is really tickling my fancy
Funny thing is it has been so regular this year, but nobody says anything until it affects their own team

Yeah Cole and Sheed were unforgivably bad tonight. I’m still pissed at their brain fades.

Sheed running 25m in the wrong direction only to give up as soon as he was tackled was one of the more pathetic Eagles moments I’ve seen in many years.
The lead up to the serong goal last week was worse

It was only to be expected, they tried harder maybe not smarter, to look like an almost normal team but not a premiership team, let alone finals.
Like many, glad it's over and season 2021 can be laid to rest and forensically dissected from here to preseason.
Speaking of which, Simpson appeared to address most of the issues plaguing the club in his post game presser.
He was quite comprehensive, maybe skirting over coaching as an issue... to be revealed over time.

Biggest negative is we've chosen to sh*t the bed in the one season in many of our lifetimes that WA will host the Grand Final. FML.

* it, just keep winning em the hard way, even sweeter when we do.

Is Shuey to HBF a thing? I never thought it would be considered because he's not great overhead, but gee, Venables, he was setting up some plays from deep. Always thought he'd be put out to pasture in the front half. Can we create something for him to attack from the back half with this poxy overlap handball rule?

Still pushing the cart for Rotham off a wing. Doesn't have the defensive instincts, lovely kick, tidy overhead. Been said for years but he needs to play closer to goal. Probably costs us less when he does stink it up, too.

Had to wait ages for Witherden AGAINST THE TEAM THAT DIDN'T WANT HIM, but we got it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back