Game Day Round 23 v Hawthorn, MCG - Gawn 200th, ANB 150th

Remove this Banner Ad

Big game for us in a lot of ways - need to build some form before finals and need a win this week or next to secure top-4.

Also a couple of important milestones. Max's 200th, pretty incredible what he's achieved in his career and established himself as a legend of the club from relatively few games. Had some nasty injuries in his time but has become a standout in the ruck over his career. Not bad for a bloke who didn't mind a dart after training when he started with us. Really loves the club. Not that we should need any more motivation for this game, but hope there's a lift for the big fella. There's plenty of highlights to choose from but I'll always remember this goal: a) because of what a quarter from what a s**t team, and b) I love him parting the defence like Moses.

ANB has been a whipping boy over his career but nevertheless has settled himself in the 22. Really important for our pressure and ball movement and a leader among our HFFs. Can see him rubbing off on Chandler this year - how much Kade busts his arse to be an option or to defend is similar to ANB's efforts. Also pretty sure his mum gave a cracking interview after the QF in 2021? Seems like fun. Kudos to Nibbler for the career he's built for himself. 150 games, including a flag, is a great effort.

The Dawks will be a tough opponent, coming in hot. Knocked off some good teams lately. Can't take them lightly, but if we're serious for finals we should win this.

Screenshot 2023-08-19 223735.png

Mindset proving game for us IMO. Come in burping bathwater and we could get rolled, but the Hawks are vulnerable to a decent pressure and contested ball game from us I reckon, we just have to show up from the start (which we can always tell from bounce with us).

Nothing short of an imposing, dominant display from the outset will suffice today. No Grundy to screw Max’s rhythm up, full compliment of high priced midfielders, top four on the line. Must come out breathing fire 🔥

Front six remains a concern. Simply does not look potent enough unless the plan is for Petracca to spend 50% game time down there. Too much responsibility being given to Van Rooyen at this early stage of his career. Hopefully enough ball gets supplied and we kick accurately enough to put the game to bed before three quarter time, otherwise it’s going to be another late afternoon sphincter tightener.

Dees by 22

Last edited:

Nothing short of an imposing, dominant display from the outset will suffice today. No Grundy to screw Max’s rhythm up, full compliment of high priced midfielders, top four on the line. Must come out breathing fire 🔥

Front six remains a concern. Simply does not look potent enough. Too much responsibility being given to Van Rooyen at this early stage of his career. Hopefully enough ball gets down there and we kick accurately enough to put the game to bed before three quarter time, otherwise it’s going to be another late afternoon sphincter tightener.

Dees by 22
I'm way more concerned with what the Hawks midfield could do against us. They are bloody quick and skillful.

I'm way more concerned with what the Hawks midfield could do against us. They are bloody quick and skillful.

They are but our guys are no slouches. Premiership credentialed and more physically imposing. No excuses.

They are but our guys are no slouches. Premiership credentialed and more physically imposing. No excuses.
Yeah but Oliver's not fit yet and Gus is bloody slow compared to the Hawks mids. Could see us losing clearances pretty easy if the Hawks come to play

Surely we're not losing to the Dawks to miss finishing top 4.

Hoping for a consistent performance from the get go, want to get a lead and maintain it rather than coming back like we tend to do. Hawks are plucky, will give us a contest, need to even things in the middle, our defence is strong, and hopefully give enough looks up forward that we can manufacture a score.

Dees by 29, Kosi with 4.

We have one (1) panic generating forward (Kozzie). Two are required.
Hawthorn are in with a chance if we half a bad forward day.

Remember when we missed top four one year after losing to Carlton (comfortably bottom four) twice?
Missing finals completely in 2017 losing to Collingwood in the last round was gut wrenching too, reckon a lot of us saw that coming a mile away too, this club ffs.

Remember when we missed top four one year after losing to Carlton (comfortably bottom four) twice?

Carlton finished last that season, winning three games for the year. Two of those games were against Melbourne, in Round 1 and Round 18.

Melbourne finished 7th, with a 13-8-1 record. Sydney finished fourth with a 14-8-0 record. Win those two games against Carlton, and we would have finished 15-6-1, and third on the ladder. We would have played a qualifying final against Adelaide in Adelaide (which we probably would have lost, but then would have had the second chance).

In fairness, though, it did mean we played an elimination final against St. Kilda, which is one of my favourite games of all time (see avatar).

EDIT: Even if we won one of the two Carlton games, we would have finished top four.

Missing finals completely in 2017 losing to Collingwood in the last round was gut wrenching too, reckon a lot of us saw that coming a mile away too, this club ffs.
But at least we knew how to book finals tickets!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep I made a stack on that cos the odds of it happening (us losing and WC winning by enough %) was something like $4.50 but I thought it was a certainty

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
One of my fave days ever at the footy. Was in a medical bay before the first bounce, hospital before half-time, then my wife drove her dad’s car into a bollard after my face was stiched back together. Pretty expensive day all up, and I didn’t even get to my seat 😂

Hawthorn have Chad Wingard and Mitch Lewis out.

I don't think Melbourne have anyone worth tagging at this point ?

Melksham will need to restrict Sicily and I think most of the interest will be the mid field battle and who will kick the goals.

Really really should win this, yeah well Newcombe is out now. This should be over by half time.

Hawthorn the pokie lovers doing “love the game not the odds” on their banner is hypocritical as.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back