Review Round 23 vs Sydney @ Marvel Stadium (21.08.21 - 1:45pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think it's over the top to say Luko is leaving because he bought a house in Adelaide or Rankine is leaving because he didn't play the last few games. They might leave at the end of next year but they'll see out their contracts and it will be based on the performance of next season. As for some of the others, it's been a long season one longer than last years as well. There's some players who clearly shouldn't be there and some clearly out of form. I still think another good key forward and key defender will help significantly. We saw how Allir improved Port.

eppo67

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If anyone needed any extra ammo on Atkins, his game today was according to champion data, better than his 2 year average.
If Dew was the one who chased him he has to go.
Greenwood Ellis etc have been great but the last thing these kids need to see is a pea heart mercenary on big money.
Can someone enlighten me who chased this fraud.

Happy Idiot

All Australian
Oct 12, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Clarko, Brad or Chris Scott. AFL are funding it outside the cap. The offer will be too good to refuse for at least one of them.
With all due respect to the Scott brothers, they don't change the equation. Nor does Ross Lyon or Voss, or Buckley. Clarko does.

We keep Dew and do poorly again, players leave. We try a new (or recycled) coach and some players will jump ship while they can.

The only option is Clarko, and they all stay. If not Clarko, we stick with Dew and hope like hell something clicks.

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
Honestly glad I can take a break from Suns stuff for a while now. Too bad I decided to a podcast this year about them and actually have to talk about them Monday haha.

Hey mate I’ve listened to you all year on Spotify; you and Matt doing a good job it’s unfortunate we’ve been terrible for most of the year. Keep going, it will only get better… hopefully haha

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
As supporters; let’s supporter the players over the off season, pre season. Let’s get them hyped. With no crowds our duty as members is to get around them. Yes they may not be showing their potential we expect but we have to rally around them to make sure they think about staying 2022 and beyond

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
I really hope Dew stays. If we do unfortunately give Dew the flick, and Clarkson is unavailable, I'd go for Mark Williams. He has a strong track record. He had a great tenure at Port beyond winning the 2004 premiership. In 2010 went to GWS and him along with Sheedy built the club up for their success. Richmond was next where he was instrumental in the start of their dynasty before going to the VFL to coach Werribee taking them to the finals there. He has been widely credited for Melbourne's rise to the top of the ladder. He apparently is really good with young lists, and young players so again if we cannot get Clarko, Mark Williams would be who I'd be targeting.

Feb 12, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
When is Dew going to be held accountable for his terrible coaching? First Jarryd Lyons, now Peter Wright. Who is next? Will Brodie.

Dew continues to play his favourites and is only worried about what his non-favourites CANT do rather than what they CAN do.
Dew completely ruined Wright’s confidence whilst in charge at the Suns #sackdew

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
When is Dew going to be held accountable for his terrible coaching? First Jarryd Lyons, now Peter Wright. Who is next? Will Brodie.

Dew continues to play his favourites and is only worried about what his non-favourites CANT do rather than what they CAN do.
Chuck in Aaron Hall; he's borderline AA squad this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Im really hoping that we fire him and pick up a new coach (preferably clarko) before the trade period who will have a chat to Brodie and convince him to see out his final year with the opportunity to play under a new coach that values him.

He will be a dominant inside force (think JPK) for any club that picks him up if he's given game time at AFL level.

AuTo00Z

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Im really hoping that we fire him and pick up a new coach (preferably clarko) before the trade period who will have a chat to Brodie and convince him to see out his final year with the opportunity to play under a new coach that values him.

He will be a dominant inside force (think JPK) for any club that picks him up if he's given game time at AFL level.
Brodie will stay unless you agree to pay a good portion of his salary at his new club. He was put on the trade table last year (after both he and the club wanted him out) but no-one wanted him due to being on $400k a year and not being able to get a game. But you're right, whether it's at the suns or another, it's about him being somewhere where he's valued by the coach.

And as for the senior coach, the AFL really needs to do what they did with Melbourne and Paul Roos and pay Clarkson to coach the suns now that he is on the market (even though I'd like him at the pies, it's better for the comp if you have him).

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast

No! no! no!
You have it wrong my friend
The wise owls on this board say good riddance to 2MP-apparently the most hopeless 2metre 21yo AFL footballer ever and a disgrace to the Suns guernsey
The guy wanted to stay too
But watch us go after Lobb for more cash or Levi casboult
It's a dog's breakfast

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast

I watch Tarryn Thomas today for nmfc looks a very similar player and build but Brodie hasn’t had the development and coaching or opportunities TT has had.. any team who gets Brodie as a delisted player will get a bargain if they put some time and development into him

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I watch Tarryn Thomas today for nmfc looks a very similar player and build but Brodie hasn’t had the development and coaching or opportunities TT has had.. any team who gets Brodie as a delisted player will get a bargain if they put some time and development into him
Like we've all seen Brodie play at a high level, and he's done it multiple times so it's not a fluke.

He busts his ass and gets 40+ touches, 10 tackles and a goal or two in the reserves and then gets an emergency bib or put at half forward and then demoted the next week.

It's a pisstake. The kid has talent, and yes i'm sure it looks or has looked like I have some vested interest into him but more accurately i'm sick of seeing Dew piss away talent because they don't play to some magical standard he sets and doesn't tell anyone about (Lyons, Wright, Fiorini for example)

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Like we've all seen Brodie play at a high level, and he's done it multiple times so it's not a fluke.

He busts his ass and gets 40+ touches, 10 tackles and a goal or two in the reserves and then gets an emergency bib or put at half forward and then demoted the next week.

It's a pisstake. The kid has talent, and yes i'm sure it looks or has looked like I have some vested interest into him but more accurately i'm sick of seeing Dew piss away talent because they don't play to some magical standard he sets and doesn't tell anyone about (Lyons, Wright, Fiorini for example)
You forgot Trent McKenzie who held our backline together when Dew was forced to play him in 2017 but discarded end of season

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below

Because I'm sure the poster with the Richmond flair and the Trent McKenzie Stan user name has absolutely zero axes to grind with the Suns 🙄

What are you basing the Peter Wright stuff off? One game when he kicked 7 against a full forward playing full back? If you'd actually watched he got absolutely towelled up by Collins the following week

Chuck in Aaron Hall; he's borderline AA squad this year
Borderline AA is a bit of a stretch, With the amount the ball ended up in the North defensive 50 this year he was bound to get a bunch of seagull possessions

Let's not go nuts here (A stretch for this board I know) but Sydney rolling into finals vs a pretty crippled Suns outfit was never going to go like it did in round 5, Yeah the margin blew out a bit but it's over and done with now

Dissecting this game is only going to give us a headache and a sore neck.

We've got to be looking forward guys, That's got to be our approach this off-season

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Because I'm sure the poster with the Richmond flair and the Trent McKenzie Stan user name has absolutely zero axes to grind with the Suns

What are you basing the Peter Wright stuff off? One game when he kicked 7 against a full forward playing full back? If you'd actually watched he got absolutely towelled up by Collins the following week

Borderline AA is a bit of a stretch, With the amount the ball ended up in the North defensive 50 this year he was bound to get a bunch of seagull possessions

Let's not go nuts here (A stretch for this board I know) but Sydney rolling into finals vs a pretty crippled Suns outfit was never going to go like it did in round 5, Yeah the margin blew out a bit but it's over and done with now

Dissecting this game is only going to give us a headache and a sore neck.

We've got to be looking forward guys, That's got to be our approach this off-season

Even with the supply Aaron Hall has got this year, his run and carry off half back has been elite.

Jake Lloyd makes the AA squad few years ago by averaging 30 and seagulling and provide 0% run just smart positioning for marks.

Aaron hall has provided a lot of run and averages near the 30 mark. Also has defended way more than Jake Lloyd has.

Not saying he’ll make the 22 I said the squad. The 40 man squad, which I think will include

Rich, Hall, Ridley, Stewart, weitering, May, lever, Salem, aliir, dale to name a few

Hall v rich Salem dale

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast

I know he was a bit of a sook but let's not forget Scrimshaw either - now one of the guiding lights down back for Hawthorn. Maybe had we played him - he may not have sulked so much.

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
I know he was a bit of a sook but let's not forget Scrimshaw either - now one of the guiding lights down back for Hawthorn. Maybe had we played him - he may not have sulked so much.

I may be wrong but I’m pretty sure he got gifted a few games to change his mind

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Nah-Scrimshaw was done and dusted before he arrived
Just bad recruiting in a National comp that isn't.
His Dad and Co. having boozey lunches with Clarko laughing about fattening up in the NEAFL
Would be a laugh if Clarkson ended up here after all that
And I'm on record somewhere sometime when Hickey left as saying he's the best/potentially best ruck we've ever had-but he left for love;)
It's the guys we looked at as fans and couldn't undferstand why they weren't getting a decent run at it that irks
It's like the Club had to find out accidentally how good Fiorini is
It's amazing what happens if you get an 8 week run at it without wondering if you're going to be the scapegoat for this week's loss a la 2MP /Lyons /McKenzie/Brodie

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Nah-Scrimshaw was done and dusted before he arrived
Just bad recruiting in a National comp that isn't.
His Dad and Co. having boozey lunches with Clarko laughing about fattening up in the NEAFL
Would be a laugh if Clarkson ended up here after all that
And I'm on record somewhere sometime when Hickey left as saying he's the best/potentially best ruck we've ever had-but he left for love;)
It's the guys we looked at as fans and couldn't undferstand why they weren't getting a decent run at it that irks
It's like the Club had to find out accidentally how good Fiorini is
It's amazing what happens if you get an 8 week run at it without wondering if you're going to be the scapegoat for this week's loss a la 2MP /Lyons /McKenzie/Brodie
And this is why Dew has to go, Clarkson would of slapped Scrimshaw into shape if he was the coach at the Suns rather than allowing the sook to get exactly what he wanted. I’m fact I think Clarkson wouldnt of drafted him in the first place.

the Suns have been well below average at drafting and more importantly developing top end picks. It has to stop and stop now. I have no confidence in Dew or the coaching staff to turn it around basically because there is no evidence of improvement over the 4 years he has been in charge

don’t get me wrong we shouldn’t move on Dew if we don’t have a plan ( Clarkson) but I live in hope that finally something will go our way in this dumpster fire of a decade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back