Review Round 23 vs Sydney Swans Saturday 7.20 @SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

No one could have predicted we'd lose our entire first choice midfield for the basically the entire year. I've never seen an injury list like it.
What was really disappointing for me was the reports in the preseason that we had everyone running PBs in time trials, the players were fitter than ever before, but in reality as the season unfolded it was clear we were well behind the pack in required fitness levels. I mean, what on earth has the club been doing the past five years? Blights clearly saw that Bluey, Schwerdt etc. did not have these players anywhere near where they needed to be. Hopefully this new guy Cordy is the right man for the job.
O'Meara is the biggest hope but also the biggest concern for me. If he can come back, and that's a big if, that will give us so much more grunt and class through the midfield.
Looking forward to hopefully fielding sides every week that resemble our best 22 in 2016. Would be a first for this club though. Do that and we're a finals chance.

Amen.

Thought most of the group was down last night. Lynch has got the yips from set shots. Just hasn't been able to convert from 30 out in the past few weeks. Hopefully that turns around this off-season.

I'm still not a fan of Schade. When he's forced to be accountable for someone over 190cm he is constantly beaten. I can only think of one direct contest that he won last night. He just lost everything all over the ground. Sydney knew to isolate him and did it well. I don't think he has a place in this side with everyone fit.

I watched Geelong every game.
Hawkins always kicked 6 on him.
And shocking decision maker.
Big exaggeration.

I know that Schoenmakers has a bad wrap for that one game against Hawkins where he monster'd him and kicked six goals, but in every other game they've been opponents Hawkins has been relatively quiet. As unexpected as it is, they've only ever had the chance to play against each other six times in total:

Goal / Behind Tally for Tom Hawkins against Ryan Schoenmakers
2.2 (2009, Rd 17)
0.1 (2010, Rd 2)
2.0 (2011, QF)
3.2 (2012, Rd 2)
6.2 (2012, Rd 19)
2.1 (2013, Rd 1)

It's also important to note that Hawkins kicked those 6 goals on him three years ago in 2012. This was the year Hawkins came equal-second to Matthew Pavlich in the Coleman Medal with 62 goals. He kicked bags of six multiple times that year against multiple opposition. He kicked bags of five and bags of four against multiple opposition, too (including Sydney, the eventual premiers). He kicked more goals than Buddy Franklin. 2012 was Tom Hawkins' breakout year. The only person to kick more goals than him for that year was Jack Reiwoldt who won the Coleman Medal with 65 goals.

In any case, the Hawks offered to put Ryan Schoenmakers up for trade last year, but he declined on the basis that he wanted to stay at the Hawks and earn his way into the side (notably, this is just after the Hawks won their back-to-back, competing against two All-Australian defenders for a place in the side in Brian Lake and James Frawley, not to mention Josh Gibson). I can't help admiring him for that choice, but for whatever reason he's given an undeservedly bad name by fans - and this is despite having the sort of loyalty and character every club and supporter should be vying for in a player.

:confused:

Last edited:
Big exaggeration.

I know that Schoenmakers has a bad wrap for that one game against Hawkins where he monster'd him and kicked six goals, but in every other game they've been opponents Hawkins has been relatively quiet. As unexpected as it is, they've only ever had the chance to play against each other six times in total:

Goal / Behind Tally for Tom Hawkins against Ryan Schoenmakers
2.2 (2009, Rd 17)
0.1 (2010, Rd 2)
2.0 (2011, QF)
3.2 (2012, Rd 2)
6.2 (2012, Rd 19)
2.1 (2013, Rd 1)

It's also important to note that Hawkins kicked those 6 goals on him three years ago in 2012. This was the year Hawkins came equal-second to Matthew Pavlich in the Coleman Medal with 62 goals. He kicked bags of six multiple times that year against multiple opposition. He kicked bags of five and bags of four against multiple opposition, too (including Sydney, the eventual premiers). He kicked more goals than Buddy Franklin. 2012 was Tom Hawkins' breakout year. The only person to kick more goals than him for that year was Jack Reiwoldt who won the Coleman Medal with 65 goals.

In any case, the Hawks offered to put Ryan Schoenmakers up for trade last year, but he declined on the basis that he wanted to stay at the Hawks and earn his way into the side (notably, this is just after the Hawks won their back-to-back, competing against two All-Australian defenders for a place in the side in Brian Lake and James Frawley, not to mention Josh Gibson). I can't help admiring him for that choice, but for whatever reason he's given an undeservedly bad name by fans - and this is despite having the sort of loyalty and character every club and supporter should be vying for in a player.

:confused:
whenever I have seen him play he looks pretty good to me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back