Game Day Round 23 vs West Coast: The Eagle Has Soared

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry for the belated thread. I've had a busy week and I just forgot about it, but here it is.

GGT_10-04-2015_EGN_05_9499B_Eagle_Brady__AustraliaZooWildlifeHospital_fct1025x768x62.0_ct620x465.jpg
vs
default-1464354436-173-crow-brains-reveal-secrets-of-their-intelligence.jpg

When: Friday 26 August, 7:40pm
Where: Adelaide Oval
Forecast: Max: 15, Min: 4, Mostly Sunny

The Story So Far:
After a year where nothing was expected us, we're playing for a top 2 position (possibly even a minor premiership if Richmond can somehow get over Sydney). West Coast, on the other hand, are also finals bound but have been less impressive and do not look like they'll return to the GF if they lose. Nic Nat's injuries have affected their midfield greatly and have generally been shithouse outside of Perth with the exception of a win against the Giants. They're playing for a home elimination final (other results would have to fall their way to finish top 4). However, it's possible so they'll be all out to get us.

History:
Needless to say, West Coast have caused us some pain in the past, particularly a decade ago in years we were the top 2 teams in the competition. Unfortunately, they were the one team we struggled to beat (accept for one match that will be mentioned soon) so it'll probably take a couple of finals wins to reverse the pain. The head-to-head currently stands 20-23 in West Coast's favour with us winning the last 2.

Memorable Matches:

What. A. First. Quarter. Still one of the best I've seen live, we were just flawless in every way. Even after a slight second quarter scare, we still managed to kick away in the end. We had already sealed a finals spot with Geelong losing but this was still a huge effort against the eventual runners-up.

Was one step closer to our first flag. Not the best quality game but an important win nonetheless.

The win that got us our fist minor premiership. However, it was soured by Roo's suspension and the fact that we ****ed up the next week by not tagging old man Harvey. Still, a trophy is a trophy.

Teams:

Adelaide:

B: Brown, Hartigan, Lever
HB: Laird, Talia, Cheney
C: Mackay, Thompson, Henderson
HF: McGovern, Jenkins, Douglas
F: Lynch, Walker, Betts
Foll: Jacobs, B. Crouch, M. Crouch
I/C: Atkins, Cameron, CEY, Lyons
Emg: Beech, O'Brien, Kelly

West Coast:

B: Barrass, Schofield, Hurn
HB: Wellingham, McGovern, Sheppard
C: Yeo, Priddis, Jetta
HF: Hill, Darling, Masten
F: Cripps, Kennedy, LeCras
Foll: Lycett, Gaff, Shuey
I/C: Sheed, Giles, Butler, Hutchings
Emg: Brown, Redden, Nelson

Players to Watch:

Adelaide:

Betts - Has kicked a career best 65 goals this season with, hopefully, plenty more to come.

CEY - With Sloane's Brownlow chances going down the S-bend, this guy comes back into the side. Even since he got injured in the middle of last year, he's struggled to get back in the team and truly cement his spot, especially given he was playing some very decent footy under Walsh. I can't see him lasting long in the side yet again but tomorrow night is a huge opportunity for him to make a case to stay in.

West Coast:

Kennedy - Has the Coleman Medal pretty much wrapped up and is always a threat up forward. Thankfully, we have Talia who is on track for an AA position and has kept him quiet in the last 3 encounters (3, 1 and 2 goals respectively). If he gets shout out of the game, the Eagles usually soon.

Lycett - With the news of Nic Nat's injury, this guy will be taking over the number 1 ruck spot for about 12 months. The Eagles have struggled without him and will need to go a whole year without him so Lycett has some pretty big shoes to fill.

Verdict:
A huge game. Nic Nat is a big out for them and Sloane is a big out for us. However, I would definitely say that the Eagles' out is more important to them than Sloane is to out (even though he's a vital cog in our midfield). Aside from the Giants win, the Eagles have travelled very poorly this year, being comprehensively smashed by Geelong, Sydney and Hawthorn as well as a loss to Collingwood and unconvincing wins against Port, Brisbane and Carlton. The Bulldogs was an honourable loss at least I guess... Meanwhile, we have lost one game at home since the Hawks game last year in round 12 so form here is on our side. I think we can do it, sew up a top 2 spot!

Crows by 28.

PS. I would normally put in more effort but it's been a busy week so I haven't really had the time.

Just a thought. Make this the game day thread as well.

Good preview. I reckon Roo would go straight to the Tribunal with that one. 4 weeks would be the starting point.

20 hours to go and I am getting pumped already. I think we will win and win by 30+ . I think we will finish no worse than 2nd. If top spot is given to us then all well and good. I just want a winning score , no injuries and no reports.

We are the Kings of the Big Birds

I see the Eagles have bought in Barrass. Didn't he do a top lock down job on one of our forwards recently? Our fire power should be too much for them to handle. As for the Eagles without the obvious in Kennedy firing, I just can't see the Eagles kicking a big enough score to win the game. Darling, LeCras and Cripps are all solid contributors, but none can win the game for them

I see the Eagles have bought in Barrass. Didn't he do a top lock down job on one of our forwards recently? Our fire power should be too much for them to handle. As for the Eagles without the obvious in Kennedy firing, I just can't see the Eagles kicking a big enough score to win the game. Darling, LeCras and Cripps are all solid contributors, but none can win the game for them
Luke brown will slaughter lecras, also Barrass is a gun.

crows by 40 points at least. We seem to be a mentally weak side and without our barometer in NN, i rekon we will be outclassed most game. The only positive (little positive) for me is our ability to perform when expectations have been lowered (last season and our come from behind win against you guys in 2014).

I see the Eagles have bought in Barrass. Didn't he do a top lock down job on one of our forwards recently?

I think Barrass has only played against us once, and that was towards the end of last year when Jenkins was too good for him. I would expect Barrass to have come on since then, but Jenkins should be too good. Will be one of a number of interesting match ups.

I think Barrass has only played against us once, and that was towards the end of last year when Jenkins was too good for him. I would expect Barrass to have come on since then, but Jenkins should be too good. Will be one of a number of interesting match ups.
he was the step ladder for betts and cameron last game but did ok in his first game of the year.

he was the step ladder for betts and cameron last game but did ok in his first game of the year.

Yes, its coming back to me now. That was his return game. Again, not his best night, but he is only young for a tall. Has potential, but coming up against a talented, experienced and hardened forward line. Hope he has a good career. So far, both his outing against the Crows not nights for him to remember. I think Jenkins kicked 6 on him last year.

Yes, its coming back to me now. That was his return game. Again, not his best night, but he is only young for a tall. Has potential, but coming up against a talented, experienced and hardened forward line. Hope he has a good career. So far, both his outing against the Crows not nights for him to remember. I think Jenkins kicked 6 on him last year.
yeah jenkins dominated him first game as he was a cover for schofield and Then Tex had a few on him as well after mcgovern got hit in the shoulder. i think schofield will mainly play on jenkins this time round. He will rotate between between all three tho. yeah his 1v1 game still has a long way to go but its his ability leave his man and take an intercept mark or spoil that has been his stand out. I mostly worry about your smalls than talls tbh as we have a habbit of letting smalls off the hook.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nervous as all get out for this. West Coast have been good and they were good against us earlier in the year, until we worked them out and then BOOM.

We were sort of unlucky with our kicking last week and sort of lucky that Port are not very good.

Must kick straight. Must must must kick straight.

A good win and a narrow Swans win could see us go top as well. And a narrow win and a bigger Geelong win could see us go 3rd.

But really first things first. Get the 4 points.

Get it done.

There's anxiety due to what is at stake, obviously. It's no guarantee and we are unsure how things will go without two guns in Sloane and Smith.

However, there is a steely resolve about this team. There is a system, an understanding of team roles and, most importantly, quality ball use around the ground.

We have won 12 of the last 13 for a reason, and have found ways to win in different types of games - open flowing games and scrappy ones. West Coast have been playing some great football and will be a challenge - they are playing for a home final, too.

This team will find a way to get the job done tonight. I think we will jump out early and win by 31 points in the end, to take 2nd spot and a home Qualifying Final.

Get. The. Job. Done.

Sorry for the belated thread. I've had a busy week and I just forgot about it, but here it is.

GGT_10-04-2015_EGN_05_9499B_Eagle_Brady__AustraliaZooWildlifeHospital_fct1025x768x62.0_ct620x465.jpg
vs
default-1464354436-173-crow-brains-reveal-secrets-of-their-intelligence.jpg

When: Friday 26 August, 7:40pm
Where: Adelaide Oval
Forecast: Max: 15, Min: 4, Mostly Sunny

The Story So Far:
After a year where nothing was expected us, we're playing for a top 2 position (possibly even a minor premiership if Richmond can somehow get over Sydney). West Coast, on the other hand, are also finals bound but have been less impressive and do not look like they'll return to the GF if they lose. Nic Nat's injuries have affected their midfield greatly and have generally been shithouse outside of Perth with the exception of a win against the Giants. They're playing for a home elimination final (other results would have to fall their way to finish top 4). However, it's possible so they'll be all out to get us.

History:
Needless to say, West Coast have caused us some pain in the past, particularly a decade ago in years we were the top 2 teams in the competition. Unfortunately, they were the one team we struggled to beat (accept for one match that will be mentioned soon) so it'll probably take a couple of finals wins to reverse the pain. The head-to-head currently stands 20-23 in West Coast's favour with us winning the last 2.

Memorable Matches:

What. A. First. Quarter. Still one of the best I've seen live, we were just flawless in every way. Even after a slight second quarter scare, we still managed to kick away in the end. We had already sealed a finals spot with Geelong losing but this was still a huge effort against the eventual runners-up.

Was one step closer to our first flag. Not the best quality game but an important win nonetheless.

The win that got us our fist minor premiership. However, it was soured by Roo's suspension and the fact that we stuffed up the next week by not tagging old man Harvey. Still, a trophy is a trophy.

Teams:

Adelaide:

B: Brown, Hartigan, Lever
HB: Laird, Talia, Cheney
C: Mackay, Thompson, Henderson
HF: McGovern, Jenkins, Douglas
F: Lynch, Walker, Betts
Foll: Jacobs, B. Crouch, M. Crouch
I/C: Atkins, Cameron, CEY, Lyons
Emg: Beech, O'Brien, Kelly

West Coast:

B: Barrass, Schofield, Hurn
HB: Wellingham, McGovern, Sheppard
C: Yeo, Priddis, Jetta
HF: Hill, Darling, Masten
F: Cripps, Kennedy, LeCras
Foll: Lycett, Gaff, Shuey
I/C: Sheed, Giles, Butler, Hutchings
Emg: Brown, Redden, Nelson

Players to Watch:

Adelaide:

Betts - Has kicked a career best 65 goals this season with, hopefully, plenty more to come.

CEY - With Sloane's Brownlow chances going down the S-bend, this guy comes back into the side. Even since he got injured in the middle of last year, he's struggled to get back in the team and truly cement his spot, especially given he was playing some very decent footy under Walsh. I can't see him lasting long in the side yet again but tomorrow night is a huge opportunity for him to make a case to stay in.

West Coast:

Kennedy - Has the Coleman Medal pretty much wrapped up and is always a threat up forward. Thankfully, we have Talia who is on track for an AA position and has kept him quiet in the last 3 encounters (3, 1 and 2 goals respectively). If he gets shout out of the game, the Eagles usually soon.

Lycett - With the news of Nic Nat's injury, this guy will be taking over the number 1 ruck spot for about 12 months. The Eagles have struggled without him and will need to go a whole year without him so Lycett has some pretty big shoes to fill.

Verdict:
A huge game. Nic Nat is a big out for them and Sloane is a big out for us. However, I would definitely say that the Eagles' out is more important to them than Sloane is to out (even though he's a vital cog in our midfield). Aside from the Giants win, the Eagles have travelled very poorly this year, being comprehensively smashed by Geelong, Sydney and Hawthorn as well as a loss to Collingwood and unconvincing wins against Port, Brisbane and Carlton. The Bulldogs was an honourable loss at least I guess... Meanwhile, we have lost one game at home since the Hawks game last year in round 12 so form here is on our side. I think we can do it, sew up a top 2 spot!

Crows by 28.

PS. I would normally put in more effort but it's been a busy week so I haven't really had the time.

If gaff is starting rover we need to start the rat in there as well

Nervous AF going into this game. No Sloane makes me a lot more uneasy about this than I should be. As is our general history of shooting ourselves in the foot when we have the perfect opportunity to better ourselves.

But this is a different group to the past and I believe in them. Either way in about 14 hours we'll know where we stand come September.

Invited by a mate to this game so I'm really looking forward to tonight. WC are one of the most in form teams at the moment leading into finals and despite NN being a huge out for them they'll be confident after rolling two too 8 sides in two weeks, while Sloane and Smith will really hurt us.
Adelaide by 15pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back