Review Round 24, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. St. Kilda

Who were your five best players against St. Kilda?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope so. When Lester first came to my attention, I started “isolating” him
in games and watching his contributions to individual passages and micro moments. I don’t think I have ever put as much time into analysing a single player’s performance and contribution. Fairly early, it became apparent to me from around 2018 that Lester was an exceptionally capable defensive footballer who should have been a “lock” as third tall. I had him rated, no (offence to the players concerned) well above Marcus Adams for general ground play (especially in contested ground ball) and reliability and edging or on a par with Darcy Gardiner for the same criteria. I had Lester rated above Gardiner for ball use and rebound capacity. This is when I really started to advocate for him on our board and I guess the more people were dismissive or cruel about Lester, the stronger I advocated for him, so I got into a Lester Obsession Spiral. The other thing I had noticed about Lester was the amount of time he spent giving direction to those around him. Always a positive in my book.

Since I first started putting air in Lester’s tyres he has had 3 periods of playing his “best football”, in 2020, 2021 and 2023. At this stage, almost everyone is prepared to concede he is in “career best form” this season, deserves to be selected in the seniors and is a big part of what I believe will be a premiership defence. My point is that very few players past the age of 30 suddenly turn their footy around and improve, unless perhaps they get a positional change. I think this is also true of Lester. He hasn’t really improved that much at all. He hasn’t got faster, learned to tackle better, improved his kicking or marking, reading the play better, learned how run into space or direct his teammates. He has been doing all of these things to his current standard for at least the last 5 years. What HAS made a difference for Lester is that we have drafted / included a number of other skilled ground ball players like Starcevich, Coleman, McKennna and Wilmot, which means Lester doesn’t have to carry the load as much when the ball is on the deck. This has freed him up to use some of his other weapons, especially his field kicking and this is what some people are noticing for the first time, giving them the mistaken belief that he had acquired new skills. He hasn’t, but I am rapt that he has acquired new fans!

During my time as a football fan, I have really only wanted one thing for an individual player. I really wanted Fitzroy to win a Premiership in 1983 for Gary Wilson and in 2023, I want Brisbane to win a flag so Ryan Lester can have that experience.

I’ve just done my third set of knee / leg exercises for the day (two to go) and I am hopped up on painkillers, but I hope that made sense. martinson M Malice Mighty Lions DERRINALPHIL - what do you think?
Just stay clear of Oxycotin 3KZ. Just watched a short 6 episode series on Netflix called Painkiller and I don’t know what rock I was living under but geez, had NFI about it’s impact. Good series too.

We're deservedly favs. and should win.

I just feel confidence draining away from me when everyone thinks the same and they're more worried about Melbourne than Port.

Port's a good outfit and they'll keep coming in this game.

The gambler in me doesn't want to take short odds after 11 straight. You get extreme value going against that.

It's possible we blast them off the park but my feeling is it'll be a much tighter game than everyone expects.
I also expect it to be tight. They have IMO a very good and fast midfield and Marshall is underrated, so if the ball is coming in 'lace out' our backline will absolutely be challenged.

Just stay clear of Oxycotin 3KZ. Just watched a short 6 episode series on Netflix called Painkiller and I don’t know what rock I was living under but geez, had NFI about it’s impact. Good series too.

I don’t think it was the drug itself but more the fact that it was branded and approved as some miracle addiction free pain killer. It’s wasn’t approved in Australia anyway until the last decade and I assume it’s being prescribed like any other opioid rather than something risk free.

Kinda like how Thalidomide is now a cancer drug after being a horrific pregnancy medication.

I don’t think it was the drug itself but more the fact that it was branded and approved as some miracle addiction free pain killer. It’s wasn’t approved in Australia anyway until the last decade and I assume it’s being prescribed like any other opioid rather than something risk free.

Kinda like how Thalidomide is now a cancer drug after being a horrific pregnancy medication.
Any of those oxy pain killers make me feel like I am dreaming while I am awake kind of hallucinating. It’s the weirdest feeling and I hate it.
I had to stop taking them.

Any of those oxy pain killers make me feel like I am dreaming while I am awake kind of hallucinating. It’s the weirdest feeling and I hate it.
I had to stop taking them.

i have the full junkie experience on morphine - bugs crawling in my skin, temperature extremes freezing one minute, dyi9ng of heat the next. lost a whole day to it. never had it again, plain old panadol after knee surgery.

i have the full junkie experience on morphine - bugs crawling in my skin, temperature extremes freezing one minute, dyi9ng of heat the next. lost a whole day to it. never had it again, plain old panadol after knee surgery.
Had some morphine once for a back issue and that was an awesome time for me 🙃

My wife gets something like that - full on nightmares and s**t from any morphine/codiene/etc type drugs. Very weird.

I'm allergic to morphine so I literally cannot stomach it. They sometimes give me fentanyl instead. Now that is a good time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't that the biggest killer 'recreational' use drug now?

Clearly loved by many.
Fentanyl I think.

Fentanyl is a potent synthetic opioid drug approved by the Food and Drug Administration for use as an analgesic (pain relief) and anesthetic. It is approximately 100 times more potent than morphine and 50 times more potent than heroin as an analgesic.:eek:

Fentanyl I think.

Fentanyl is a potent synthetic opioid drug approved by the Food and Drug Administration for use as an analgesic (pain relief) and anesthetic. It is approximately 100 times more potent than morphine and 50 times more potent than heroin as an analgesic.:eek:
I know there is a comparison comparing the amount of the 3 it takes to OD and it is, eye opening to say the least.

Dislocated my collar bone on Sunday. They loaded me up on fentanyl until the pain went away. It didn't have any weird effect on me. Despite the best efforts of two doctors they couldn't get it back in, apparently it's in a very weird position, clavicle is posterior if that means anything. At home now until Thursday when I go in for a follow up at the clinic. Oxycodone is my friend at the moment.

Dislocated my collar bone on Sunday. They loaded me up on fentanyl until the pain went away. It didn't have any weird effect on me. Despite the best efforts of two doctors they couldn't get it back in, apparently it's in a very weird position, clavicle is posterior if that means anything. At home now until Thursday when I go in for a follow up at the clinic. Oxycodone is my friend at the moment.
Take care , bet you have enjoyed this season so far 😊

If there is any more talk of how Ross Lyon brilliantly restricted our scoring, I'll do a Terry Wallace and spew up.

Unless Ross was channeling voodoo and sticking pins in effigies of our players, the only thing that restricted our scoring was our dreadful inaccuracy.

9.18 could have and quite easily should have been 16.11 or even 18.9.

And oh boy, did the Saints get some charity stuff from the umpires.

Apart from a poor 10 or 15 minutes at the beginning of the third quarter, we were comprehensively the better team.

It's entirely hypothetical of course but I'm curious as to where the Expected Score for tonight's game lands

EDIT

Oops.

Just saw it it in the post by Tom14.

So yeah.....a "moral" eight goal win
Thanks so much luthor... Reading all the comments here and on Twitter I thought "strewth, I must have been absolutely f*ckeyed on Saturday". And, in fairness, that's distinctly possible... You probably can spot the mate in your group who is on way too tight a leash when he is ordering a round of shots at the Brisbane Brewing Co at 3:30pm en route to the game.

Besides all that it felt like I was watching a completely different game to everyone else. I watched a game where if anyone was doing the strangling, it was us. We suffocated them into submission at one end and then suffocated ourselves at the other end because we couldn't kick straight any more than 20 metres out.

My (very) loose observation was that the game had a bit of a "last day of school" feel to it. The only time it didn't was after St Kilda hit the front in the 3rd quarter, and then in the final couple of minutes when we went into full "save the game" mode. Most blokes had moments where they were just that little bit off, obviously Joe's first quarter miss the poster boy.

Other than that I thought it was a ringing endorsement of our "system". Dominated the game, our "pre-end-of-game" play was outstanding and we executed our "save-the-game" tactics very well also. Notwithstanding the fact that they were only necessary due to our inaccuracy.

Feels like we're as well placed as we've been since 2004. We may have been more talented player for player in 2021; our percentage that year indicated as much. But those 2 years since seem to have brought a little more experience, consistency and capacity to respond in key moments. Particularly since the Melbourne game. Our system is also the most stable and reliable it's looked since 2004.

Long story short, this September there are no more excuses, and Fages acknowledged as much in his post match press conference.

Thanks so much luthor... Reading all the comments here and on Twitter I thought "strewth, I must have been absolutely f*ckeyed on Saturday". And, in fairness, that's distinctly possible... You probably can spot the mate in your group who is on way too tight a leash when he is ordering a round of shots at the Brisbane Brewing Co at 3:30pm en route to the game.

Besides all that it felt like I was watching a completely different game to everyone else. I watched a game where if anyone was doing the strangling, it was us. We suffocated them into submission at one end and then suffocated ourselves at the other end because we couldn't kick straight any more than 20 metres out.

My (very) loose observation was that the game had a bit of a "last day of school" feel to it. The only time it didn't was after St Kilda hit the front in the 3rd quarter, and then in the final couple of minutes when we went into full "save the game" mode. Most blokes had moments where they were just that little bit off, obviously Joe's first quarter miss the poster boy.

Other than that I thought it was a ringing endorsement of our "system". Dominated the game, our "pre-end-of-game" play was outstanding and we executed our "save-the-game" tactics very well also. Notwithstanding the fact that they were only necessary due to our inaccuracy.

Feels like we're as well placed as we've been since 2004. We may have been more talented player for player in 2021; our percentage that year indicated as much. But those 2 years since seem to have brought a little more experience, consistency and capacity to respond in key moments. Particularly since the Melbourne game. Our system is also the most stable and reliable it's looked since 2004.

Long story short, this September there are no more excuses, and Fages acknowledged as much in his post match press conference.
In the normal course of events we would've been at least 5 up at half time and the game was over. 6 or 7 if we were very accurate.

The good thing to come from that was that the odds are we won't be that inaccurate again, we had a little lesson in how inaccuracy can really cost you , and as it turned out we had an intense hitout in the last half which you need with a week off before finals

Injuries had killed us by the end of 2021, and it didn't help that we lost players in each final we played. Reckon the team was probably comparable and the 8-10 weeks of footy we played in the middle of 2021 was the best stretch we've had up until this year. But losing a second player to an ACL on metripong and then losing McStay in the qualifying final and then bez in the semi killed us.

We probably weren't going to get close to the dees if we had somehow made a grand final I guess.

Did they get it back in eventually? Or is that happening Thursday?

Snap. I have two facial fractures and a fractured elbow ATM, but I'm incredibly, extremely lucky that I don't need surgery.

Thankfully the lions won. Pain would be overwhelming if they they'd lost.

Snap. I have two facial fractures and a fractured elbow ATM, but I'm incredibly, extremely lucky that I don't need surgery.

Thankfully the lions won. Pain would be overwhelming if they they'd lost.

I'm old and arthritic but a Lions win makes me feel young and pain free.

Just need that adrenalin rush of a Flag one more time before I drop off the perch

Back