Review Round 24, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. St. Kilda

Who were your five best players against St. Kilda?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Time and again he’s also very very lazy in defence and gets caught is no man’s land.

Is poor week after week defensively
He's the fire starter. When his head is in the game and his kicking is on, we look $1m. The key to our game plan is bravely switching play and getting to the forwards one out. That's what he does. Even tho' we lost to the Demons, those 2 quarters showed what we can do when we keep looking for opportunities - and not kicking it back down the line. He will get tagged.

Payne is an issue imo. Harris can't do it by himself and all teams will have a plan to nullify him - Howe and Melsham style. The loss of Adams has not really been rectified.

Lucky that Saints rested King - after what his brother did to us.

Lester's vocal leadership is obvious to see - almost Hodge like the way he barks direction to others about where to go and is always checking that opposition players are covered...wonderful to see!
Hodge like .. if only.

He was by far the best mature age recruiting we've had since Mal Michael / Martin Pike in 2000.

Lester's vocal leadership is obvious to see - almost Hodge like the way he barks direction to others about where to go and is always checking that opposition players are covered...wonderful to see!
My only criticism of Lester is that he tends to get sucked into the contest at times while his man runs off... He can become blinded by what's in front of him instead of behind him.

Mind you I'm stoked he's holding his spot and being rewarded for being the ultimate team man... Players like him glue the club together.

I hide kids in the Under 11’s because they have to be in the team, so
I have to work out where they can do the least damage to our chances.

Fagan can simply not pick them.
Isn’t it about giving everyone a go at that stage 3KZ. Kids develop at different times - lets hope you don’t take away there enjoyment and confidence to want to keep playing. Personally if you are coaching to win and not coaching to improve skills at that age maybe you should coach a higher age group.

Isn’t it about giving everyone a go at that stage 3KZ. Kids develop at different times - lets hope you don’t take away there enjoyment and confidence to want to keep playing. Personally if you are coaching to win and not coaching to improve skills at that age maybe you should coach a higher age group.
Agree, my granddaughter plays under 13s soccer and this is the first age group where they play for wins/losses competition points and a finals spot.

Kids love to compete but yes even in Under 13s some parents and/or coaches take it way too seriously... the prime motivation should be participation and enjoyment, not pressure to perform or else.

If I was the Junior President of the club you coach the Under 11's at, and was aware of what you say you did, you would no longer be coach...simple as that. At that age, enjoyment of footy and keeping the kids in the game is far more important than winning ffs. Stunned you say you do that or maybe it was a joke? Hoping it was.

We did play well last night, against an anti-football team. If Lyons has to be in the squad, it has to be as a sub. His smarts are not in question, but his body/fitness aren't up to scratch. Need to start all finals with guys who have the fitness to run out the game if required.

Glad we're playing PA next. Should be a spectacle... for the neutral!

Are you surprised from his posts that he’d treat under 11’s as the most important thing is his life

If I was the Junior President of the club you coach the Under 11's at, and was aware of what you say you did, you would no longer be coach...simple as that. At that age, enjoyment of footy and keeping the kids in the game is far more important than winning ffs. Stunned you say you do that or maybe it was a joke? Hoping it was.
They get more fun running around in the forward line getting the occasional goal than they do getting scored against in defence or beaten up down field or in the middle. Want to see a kid give up? Set them unattainable goals AND WATCH THEM FAIL WEEK IN WEEK OUT. We made sure every kid kicked a goal and on weekends I would tell the midfielders to try and get it to kid x or kid y. I had one boy who is NEVER going to touch the ball in general play, NEVER EVER, be beside himself with joy when he marked a miss kick in the forward line and he turned around and kicked a goal. We played him in the forward pocket every game until he had that moment. He’ll be back next season. How about you get off your high horse and worry about something that concerns you? Conversely, maybe you could tell us about the hundreds of hours you have volunteered running a local Auskick Clinic, like I have, and reflect on the fact that almost all of the kids running around in the Under 11’s came through that Auskick program. So quick to jump to outrage Mighty Lions. Pfft.

Isn’t it about giving everyone a go at that stage 3KZ. Kids develop at different times - let’s hope you don’t take away their enjoyment and confidence to want to keep playing. Personally if you are coaching to win and not coaching to improve skills at that age maybe you should coach a higher age group.
Of course it is … hiding them in the forward line doesn’t mean excluding them. Please read post #162.

At no stage in my post did I say “coaching to win” - I said do the least damage to our chances. It is a balancing act at that age group. There are kids who cry when we lose and parents who complain if I mismatch a position with a skill level. It is a balancing act Voss the boss and we have to keep everyone happy. I have said to kids this year who I thought were up for a challenge that I was going to play them in defence and then spent hours on the phone with parents who are telling me their child can’t sleep because they are anxious about being a defender. Same kid is as happy as can be running around in circles in the forward line.

We lost our Preliminary Final today and judging by the love hearts and praise and thanks from parents and kids in our Team WhatsApp group, I think the Junior President is very happy with where we are at, their son is our CHB. While I’ve got you though Mighty Lions can you send me a PM - I might get you to draw up some Certificates of Participation and ‘Superstar of the Week’ Posters. I’ve made a spreadsheet so I can be sure everyone gets one. Nothing promotes a love of the game more than a meaningless poster. My son’s got a draw full of them.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve never met a more invested under 11’s coach than 3KZ is Football

Don’t be surprised if he gets the call up to the under 12’s next year.

Shame on you all for questioning him

This post came across very badly/negatively IMO 3KZ and I was surprised.... I am glad you clarified and expanded upon your position in your posts #162 & #163, well done.

Personally I can understand why some had a go at you over your post #143.

What a crock of s**t. Stop letting your dislike of a poster cloud your judgement. I'm involved in plenty of junior sport and what 3KZ describes is exactly what most do. You play your stronger players in the more important positions. Kids and families want a fair go, but they also don't like getting belted, humiliated and letting down their friends. If it's AFL the weaker kids often play on the flanks and in the pockets, if its netball they might get a run at WD for large chunks of the game. If it's a game like basketball with a big bench, you manage their court time so that they play their minutes during the middle of the game etc.... You get creative so those weaker kids still get their fair share of time, but are given the opportunity to develop their skills and abilities under less pressure.

I’ve never met a more invested under 11’s coach than 3KZ is Football

Don’t be surprised if he gets the call up to the under 12’s next year.

Shame on you all for questioning him
Already got the new Assistant Coaches lined up.

What a crock of s**t. Stop letting your dislike of a poster cloud your judgement. I'm involved in plenty of junior sport and what 3KZ describes is exactly what most do. You play your stronger players in the more important positions. Kids and families want a fair go, but they also don't like getting belted, humiliated and letting down their friends. If it's AFL the weaker kids often play on the flanks and in the pockets, if it’s netball they might get a run at WD for large chunks of the game. If it's a game like basketball with a big bench, you manage their court time so that they play their minutes during the middle of the game etc.... You get creative so those weaker kids still get their fair share of time, but are given the opportunity to develop their skills and abilities under less pressure.
Thank you. Exactly.

This post came across very badly/negatively IMO 3KZ and I was surprised.... I am glad you clarified and expanded upon your position in your posts #162 & #163, well done.

Personally I can understand why some had a go at you over your post #143.
My point was actually directed at the idea that Fagan, having selected Lyons was then hiding him in the forward line. Doesn’t happen at AFL. I think scoman closed the case well.

Geez.

We've now stooped to a spat over how someone is perceived to have coached the Under 11's.

Excuse me for not thinking perspective seems to go out the window sometimes.

Well done to you 3KZ for putting the snotty nosed trouble makers in their place .

I'm talking about their parents.

I wouldn’t want you coaching my son in the under 11’s as I’ve never trusted Collingwood fans. Nothing personal.

Geez.

We've now stooped to a spat over how someone is perceived to have coached the Under 11's.

Excuse me for not thinking perspective seems to go out the window sometimes.

Well done to you 3KZ for putting the snotty nosed trouble makers in their place .

I'm talking about their parents.
It’s the Tall Poppy Syndrome and the ‘Outrage Industry’ martinson. I’m used to it.

I wouldn't want 3KZ is Football coaching my non-existent kids. Mainly because I'd start hearing all about Ryan Lester from them after footy training.

Back