Autopsy Round 24, 2023 : Hawks slow to a crawl

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointing effort from most of the side. Freo just wanted it more.

Day and Moore tried hard but others looked like they were thinking about their holiday plans.

Feel like it was a missed opportunity for the club. Left the G with plenty of other flat & slightly confused supporters.

Meek as sub. WTF? Finn not tagging is effectively playing 17 against 18. Ryan was more meek than Meek. Poor kid looked cooked by quarter time.

We just had no polish. Despite their numbers, Impey & Jarman used the ball poorly.

We also tended to ignore the first option, looking for the perfect pass & then creating turn overs as a result. Can't fault Moore. His work off the ball is first rate. Tries his guts out all day.

Heroes to Zeroes.
I want us to take a pretty big jump next year. Win all the games we 'should' (MCG vs an interstate team imo is one we should), and maximum effort and dare against the teams above us. We've got a good core but it's not a consistent core yet. Disappointing end after a few great weeks.

A few scattered thoughts on us, them, and the folks in green:

• Day and Sis clearly above the standard of most others on the park. Towards the end of the game in particular (but throughout) Day's disposal let him down though, and the usual silly 1-2 frees against for Sis which led to frees and once (maybe twice) Freo goals.
  • No structured approach going into the forward line. It felt like more often that not, we'd get it in there, they'd get a rebound fifty and waltz it to the other end of the ground, because of...
  • ...generally, poor defensive running on our part.
  • Apart from Day and Sis, I thought that Worps played well, Newcombe in patches, and Ned in patches, and Weddle was having a generally effective crack the whole day. Really enjoy watching him, although there's shades of Dipper from the 80s, biting off more than he can chew. Thought Blank did OK down back, and Hardwick is always there.
  • Thought there was a lack of confidence in kicking generally... Scrimmers didn't look confident with set shots, Hardwick didn't look confident in the forward line, and Nash looked all at sea (I'm a Nash fan BTW). A couple of times in the last quarter we worked bloody hard to get ball in the forward 50 and instead of taking a ping there was a lot of handballing to players in worse positions, almost as though players didn't want the responsibility.
  • Thought Young for them played an outstanding game. Oh we've kicked it somewhere, oh one of them's marked it. Oh it's that bloody number 36 again. Yes there were players kicking more goals, but for mine it was between Young and Jackson (I hope you see what I did there) for their best.
  • I really like going to the footy with Freo supporters around me. Thoughtful, good knowledge, happy to have a bit of a chat and gentle banter, and at the end of the day they get it's just a game.
  • The score review system is a farce. I'd be curious to know what percentage of decisions get overturned; if it's low (say sub-15%) perhaps just scrap it and go back to the way it was.
  • Umpiring was atrocious all game. A bunch of inexplicable decisions both ways, and non-decisions both ways. Particular egregious was that out of the full in the first half, Meek's "sling tackle" in the fourth, Kosi's arms being chopped missed in I think the third, and Day getting yanked off it in the last. I was sitting in front of a couple of Freo supporters, and we were chatting about it at 3/4 time; they were just as pissed off as I was. It didn't change the outcome, but it makes watching a game frustrating. I should be frustrated by my team, not by the officials!
  • In the little league / Auskick at half time in the left forward pocket kicking to the city end there was a kid in the black team with a mop of hair that was only matched by his long kicking. Really good stuff, and I hope he continues to enjoy the game.

How disappointing for the players after the performances in the last three weeks rocking up to the G and only 27k supporters of which 24k were hawks supporters. Now we can be critical and whine about the performance today but geez our relationship needs to be reciprocal. If we want to retain high quality players it would be an advantage that they play for a big club with passionate supporters . If you want the players to play with passion its pretty hard to get up and about in an empty stadium . We need to lift as a supporter base and back our players by attending and getting loud when they need a lift .

Jaycee out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hilarious the talk was Ryan coming here. There were even some maniac moderators saying Brockman would only leave for a pick in the top 10

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Disappointing effort from most of the side. Freo just wanted it more.

Day and Moore tried hard but others looked like they were thinking about their holiday plans.
A neat summary of the game.

I’d just add that Dimma looked like he really enjoys playing forward and that Sic was sublime at times.

Best thing about the day was seeing Weddle bouncing off half back with some run and carry and playmaking. He’s got the fabled X factor.

Can’t wait until 2024. We’re going to be a dangerous unit. Mark it!

Hilarious the talk was Ryan coming here. There were even some maniac moderators saying Brockman would only leave for a pick in the top 10 [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
That's not what was said at all. You either know that & you're disingenuous or you're making sh1t up.

They said (words to the effect): "we've told WCE that we think his value is Top 10". This is clearly a negotiating tactic. They never said he would only leave for a Top 10 pick.

Nothing to play for.

so didn’t play for it.
Pretty much.

We looked like we were playing a scratch match in January...maybe the scratch match might have shown a bit more 'oomph'.

We just couldn't be arsed today, which is a pretty disappointing way to finish, but I don't think we need to read as much into it as we do our best performances of the second half of the year

When Lewis doesn’t play our forward line is dysfunctional, all this talk of chasing a key back has me wondering why aren’t we chasing a another key forward more so as it’s much more of a need
From AFL to local footy, if you don't have a strong forward that creates confidence amongst the entire group, your going to struggle.
We over handballed today to avoid kicking long to a non contest.

Doesn't help either when effort is lacking.

I wish some supporters actually turned up. I’ve missed maybe three games in five years. Lets create a fortress where we can be loud and intimidating! 27k for a Saturday arvo when it’s your last chance to see the boys play for 5/6 months is piss weak. No wonder we don’t get many prime time games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back