Autopsy Round 24, 2023 : Hawks slow to a crawl

Remove this Banner Ad

But what did concern me was Ryan’s lack of pace. He just seemed so slow when chasing his opponent. Is that an area of weakness or a result of his recent illness?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I'd say it's the latter. Given where he's come from, any lack of condition is going to show him up.

Give him a full, uninterrupted preseason and then see how he goes.

If Ryan was still recovering from the flu then would have been better to start Meek.

Although have to feel for the forwards as even when we have composure we don't even kick to their advantage. When the KPF points to where they want it, don't kick it to the opposite side or go long to Breust/Moore hoping they'll take a contested mark.
The amount of times we kicked long and high into Breust and Moore, and they were opposed to a tall was unbelievable.

Fremantle play the mcg well and also made the semi finals last year.

They are 3/7 there over the last three seasons.

What does last year have to do with anything. This year they finished 14th. It's like saying Freo should be happy they beat us easily because we won three flags several years ago.

So they arent garbage away from home at all .
50% is not bad going for an interstate side .
Beaten Geelong at Geelong and Melbourne at the Mcg twice in a row now .......but yesterday was a distaster for us .
Yeah look we had no intensity and low levels of enthusiasm. Just another bad day at the office it happens. We also had an under done forward playing in the forward line. It made us so slow and they just walzted it out of our forward line.

We also havent been as quick a side over the last couple of weeks. Lots to work on

If we was offered this yearly performance at the start of the year many of us would have been happy.

As the Hawk have grown so has our expectations. Still plenty of growth in the list as is and improvement to come this off season.

Hawkers we are on the right track! I say we should be aiming for 8th spot at a minimum in 2024.

How disappointing for the players after the performances in the last three weeks rocking up to the G and only 27k supporters of which 24k were hawks supporters. Now we can be critical and whine about the performance today but geez our relationship needs to be reciprocal. If we want to retain high quality players it would be an advantage that they play for a big club with passionate supporters . If you want the players to play with passion its pretty hard to get up and about in an empty stadium . We need to lift as a supporter base and back our players by attending and getting loud when they need a lift .

Jaycee out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Objectively, home crowds have been quite good considering 16th place. 3k under freos average at the mcg, which is largely not hawthorn games. Had to compare

Very lacklustre and sluggish. Could there be a virus running through the group. Even Nash lacked energy. When Nash and Newcombe are down on intensity, something is amiss. If we were playing finals, everyone would be talking about the training block impact.

We looked flat yesterday and from looking at some of the young players, it's clear the fuel tickets after the last few weeks were near empty.

Look at the season as a whole:
CMac up to 41games
Ward into the 30s for games played
Weds near 20 games already
Blanck looks solid as a key defender
We've seen Shammy come in and make a difference
Exposed Rama, Sticks, Baz and HH to seniors
Games to Long, Butler and Serong this year will only make them hungrier for next season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not normally negative. This was different. Fans put in a good effort ? Probably should have done something else tbh
If you tie supporters rocking up with the team should win/perform you will be constantly disappointed.

We have rolled out normally the youngest/inexperienced side each round ( or 2nd - 3rd ) . Our profile historically points to a 3-4 win season.
That also gives a yo-yo on performance and energy and we saw that yesterday.

People have seemingly overreacted due it to being last game rather then looking at a performance block ( 4-6 weeks ) which normally is a better indicator of form or progress in professional sports.

And if people think I'm giving the players an out , I'll more than happily wear that 🙂

If you tie supporters rocking up with the team should win/perform you will be constantly disappointed.

We have rolled out normally the youngest/inexperienced side each round ( or 2nd - 3rd ) . Our profile historically points to a 3-4 win season.
That also gives a yo-yo on performance and energy and we saw that yesterday.

People have seemingly overreacted due it to being last game rather then looking at a performance block ( 4-6 weeks ) which normally is a better indicator of form or progress in professional sports.

And if people think I'm giving the players an out , I'll more than happily wear that 🙂

Maybe I historically expected a better effort, as hawks teams usually put one in last game only 2005 the exception

It’s als in people minds when memebership renewal comes round

Maybe I historically expected a better effort, as hawks teams usually put one in last game only 2005 the exception

It’s als in people minds when memebership renewal comes round
I reckon the game that people will remember when membership renewal comes around will be the Collingwood one.

You got roasted cause you wanted Freo to win for your footy tipping cause that seemed more important to you than us getting a win.
Hardly. Thought Freo was a monty for the reasons I stated. Made it easier and less painful to tip against us knowing a Freo win could net me $200. Sorry an anonymous 52 year Hawk fan could read the result pretty easily, and was brutally honest with a throwaway line rocked your world so much.

Hardly. Thought Freo was a monty for the reasons I stated. Made it easier and less painful to tip against us knowing a Freo win could net me $200. Sorry an anonymous 52 year Hawk fan could read the result pretty easily, and was brutally honest with a throwaway line rocked your world so much.
You seem pretty obsessed with your $200. Maybe you could buy yourself a Tassie membership.....

Best part of today is cancelling my Kayo membership.
I've had some steaming services that occasionally had some glitches but Kayo is hands down the worst steaming service I've experienced.
I'm hanging on until end of finals and then pissing it off over summer.
Problem is they'll put price up again next season and have to pay more for less again.

On SM-S906E using BigFooty.com mobile app

At least there was no injuries to come from a dead rubber game.

No shoulder or knee reconstructions. No high grade soft tissue tears. No broken bones or concussions.

It was a strange game to watch, low inside 50's for both teams.

We won the stats that normally means a win but we never looked likely.

We looked slow and played without dare, i really thought last game would have been fun to watch. Exact opposite occurred, as many have said it was a hard watch.

Thankfully i will never watch that game again and has just about been forgotten already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back