Autopsy Round 24, 2023 - Positives and Negatives vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Few negatives.

Kelly failed to lay a single tackle. Ran amok but that's surprising given all the CBD's he got. Oh well, he's an offensive mid, it's just good seeing him moving so freely around the ground without someone hanging off his pocket.

Probably Maric and Hewett's worst game for the club 😢

Jilliams 4 touches. Low expectations but you can't carry that for long.

Likewise Petrucelle. I'm as impressed with him in the mid as anyone, but 10 touches just won't cut the mustard to justify an ongoing spot in the 22.

Hunt 9 touches, basically invisible. Cripps was back to being rusty and fumbly again.

Biggest positive. We’ve unearthed some good young talent. They now have enough games in them to get what the level is, and not just the thrill of playing at AFL level. And several are yet to have the benefit of a proper pre-season.

Last edited:

Rotham has been one of the better positives of the last few weeks, for mine. He’s hopefully ready for Shep’esque few years where he really hits his straps.

Really also appreciated Bailey Williams aggression at the ruck contest making O’brien look even more dinosaur like then he actually is. He’s been really one that can look back and say it’s been a breakout year for him. Also looks a better set shot, even if it didn’t come up on Saturday.

- seeing Shuey Burst through and kick that goal. Made me realise just how much we have missed that for the last few years. It is really a shame his body didn’t let him become a mid/forward, I reckon he’d kick 30-40 easy. Go well in retirement Luke

Kelly was very very good. Holding up his end of the bargain.

Where does Bailey finish in the B&F? Had a fantastic season and carried the ruck all year. Top 5 for mine.

I would've had him winning until the last 7 weeks or so and I think Kelly over took him at least.

1: Kelly
2: B Williams
3: Allen

Just a very rough prediction, outside of that the others that poll high might be based on playing more games than others like Duggan and Witherden.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did anyone think it was a dangerous tackle by Hewett? Thought the ball was just in an awkward position to tackle

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just another example of how the umpires have NFI. Just be pro-active in that situation and blow the effing whistle for a ball up. The Crow bloke was never going to try and dispose of the ball from that position. Was Hewitt supposed to let go? That doesn't seem reasonable either.

They constantly create situations where players are put in more danger because they have been told stoppage = bad.

Just another example of how the umpires have NFI. Just be pro-active in that situation and blow the effing whistle for a ball up. The Crow bloke was never going to try and dispose of the ball from that position. Was Hewitt supposed to let go? That doesn't seem reasonable either.

They constantly create situations where players are put in more danger because they have been told stoppage = bad.

The player with the ball also has to take some responsibility for refusing to drop it and concede the free kick to protect themselves in this particular situation. Arms weren't pinned, decided no I can still get out of this situation and got dumped. Hewett's other option was just to let him dispose of it. They're trying to make it too black and white when there's obvious grey areas.

The player with the ball also has to take some responsibility for refusing to drop it and concede the free kick to protect themselves in this particular situation. Arms weren't pinned, decided no I can still get out of this situation and got dumped. Hewett's other option was just to let him dispose of it. They're trying to make it too black and white when there's obvious grey areas.
Why don't they just blow the whistle faster? If the tackled player had prior it's a free kick - if not then it's a ball up.

No 360s and then handing off. Just call it before the tackler needs to bring them to ground.

Seems like a pretty easy fix. Less stoppages, less aggressive tackles. Less incentive to not protect yourself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back