Prediction Round 24: Changes Vs Hawks + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he tags Serong because our contested ball winning is going to be a bit light on with Serong tagged out of the game. Jackson will dominate once the ruck contest is over. Should be scoring 100+ in DT
Cheers, yeah was thinking Serong too, although Brayshaw did dominate against them earlier in the season.

One of the most important things for me this weekend is this is genuinely a match up pretty even re age and experience.

If they run through us, i will feel decidedly more pessimistic with the path we are on.
But we ran through them earlier in the year

But we ran through them earlier in the year
True, but they have improved considerably and their recent form line has been very good. Plus whether we like it or not, they are a powerhouse of the AFL and a club we can and should benchmark ourselves against.

Beating them tomorrow would surely give us a really good shot of encouragement and hopefully confirm that we're on the right path.

My fear is we looked dog tired at the end of our game against Port, and maybe we're close to being spent for the year. This is another challenge for JL.

The more I think about it, this game is really important.

True, but they have improved considerably and their recent form line has been very good. Plus whether we like it or not, they are a powerhouse of the AFL and a club we can and should benchmark ourselves against.

Beating them tomorrow would surely give us a really good shot of encouragement and hopefully confirm that we're on the right path.

My fear is we looked dog tired at the end of our game against Port, and maybe we're close to being spent for the year. This is another challenge for JL.

The more I think about it, this game is really important.
Dont get me wrong, I really want to win because frankly, I think the wank over the Hawks the last month has been excessive and annoys me (it's not who you play, it's when you play them) given they are basically the same as us without having won a final any time recently.

Things change so rapidly and so much over a preseason, I think short of getting belted (which I doubt happens) then this game will mean absolutely nothing come round 1 next year or for any hope over the preseason. It shouldnt anyway, too many intangibles in a dead rubber last game of the season for it to really mean anything.

Unless we win, then FLAGMANTLE IS BACK BABY

Last edited:
Dont get me wrong, I really want to him because frankly, I think the wank over the Hawks the last month has been excessive and annoys me (it's not who you play, it's when you play them) given they are basically the same as us without having won a final any time recently.

Things change so rapidly and so much over a preseason, I think short of getting belted (which I doubt happens) then this game will mean absolutely nothing come round 1 next year or for any hope over the preseason. It shouldnt anyway, too many intangibles in a dead rubber last game of the season for it to really mean anything.

Unless we win, then FLAGMANTLE IS BACK BABY
I don't even want to contemplate getting flogged...shudder.

I hear you, and don't want to get overly symbolic, but the wankfest surrounding the Hawks over the past month has been nauseating but is just another reason this game is important, with a win giving us some much needed credibility.

It feels like we've had the wood over them in recent times and I want to keep our boot on their throat, give the *ers nothing. Games like this are where we see if we're starting to get a bit of campaigner in us by imposing ourselves on a similarly matched opponent. I'd be even happy to get a bit physical and throw some weight around. It's something I don't think they would expect and I'm sure would stick in their minds moving forward.

Or maybe I'm making all of this up in my head to compensate for a pretty s**t year.

I don't even want to contemplate getting flogged...shudder.

I hear you, and don't want to get overly symbolic, but the wankfest surrounding the Hawks over the past month has been nauseating but is just another reason this game is important, with a win giving us some much needed credibility.

It feels like we've had the wood over them in recent times and I want to keep our boot on their throat, give the *ers nothing. Games like this are where we see if we're starting to get a bit of campaigner in us by imposing ourselves on a similarly matched opponent. I'd be even happy to get a bit physical and throw some weight around. It's something I don't think they would expect and I'm sure would stick in their minds moving forward.

Or maybe I'm making all of this up in my head to compensate for a pretty s**t year.
If nothing else, hopefully they win so I dont have to wade through 6 months of pessimistic muck in here

If nothing else, hopefully they win so I dont have to wade through 6 months of pessimistic muck in here
I also noticed that 9/9 SEN commentators have tipped Hawthorn to win.

* 'em.

The thought of Dogga going ballistic, Cox and Amiss taking 14 marks and kicking eight goals between them, and our midfield running over the top of theirs would be enough to get me through a long, hot summer.

I don't think a win will spare you that..
You underestimate the people's ability to be influenced game to game. It will make a difference. If nothing else, it will keep away the real heralds of doom for a bit

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You overestimate the people's ability to be influenced game to game. It will make a difference. If nothing else, it will keep away the real heralds of doom for a bit
Can confirm. Doomscroller right here, would be kept at bay for a while.

Can confirm. Doomscroller right here, would be kept at bay for a while.
The Heralds only pop up after a loss, they dont enjoy winning when it doesnt confirm their head cannon so arent around most of the time. You enjoy winning so it's different

Plenty reasons to care.
  • professional athletes are paid good coin to play like professionals
  • wins intensify fan support, leading to more bums on seats and promoting membership
  • every positive playing experience is recorded in the team memory and psyche
  • ending a disappointing season with a win is a strong message for next season.
Yep....

Look at the other WA club on up the highway..... They have been garbage all season. The eagles savoured that win last week vs the dogs after many weeks of losing.

Still hurts. I still haven't watched that game in full.
I remember being a little younger and replaying that game a couple of times, when we began that comeback in the third quarter, despite knowing we wouldn't do it, a part of little me hoped that maybe the result would be different :(

I remember being a little younger and replaying that game a couple of times, when we began that comeback in the third quarter, despite knowing we wouldn't do it, a part of little me hoped that maybe the result would be different :(
Now that 3rd quarter, I've seen that a few times. Hearing a Freo chant go up at the MCG in a Grand Final was special. Shame what happened after that.

Well if Serong gets tagged at least Brayshaw will have to be more proactive this week and not just stand behind his opponent and tackle. First possession is more relevant than clearance anyway in our case.
The other bonus to Serong being tagged is it puts an end to this Brayshaw can't win first possession nonsense too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back