Toast Round 24 = Essendon 31-101 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Big shout out to all those claiming that “flicking the switch” would not be possible - your lack of belief is embarrassing.
And please don’t come back with “ it’s was only Ess”, when you claimed all week, they would be bouncing back to play their GF and gain self respect.

The first qtr showed they had zero bounce back. I was expecting them to have a reaction and come out hard. They came out like wet lettuce.

They kicked 3.13, that’s why we won by 70. Against a team that bad and that limp we should’ve won clearance by 10+ and contested possession by 20+. That has been our issue over the last month and I don’t think it was improved. It was just purely Essendon’s shitness.

He really is down on confidence. Brings new meaning to the term lumbering giraffe. Hope he can turn it around because at his best he is a very good mark and can impact the scoreboard

I think we go in with Cox outright and play Givv Hill McCreery all up forward over Cameron.

The first qtr showed they had zero bounce back. I was expecting them to have a reaction and come out hard. They came out like wet lettuce.

They kicked 3.13, that’s why we won by 70. Against a team that bad and that limp we should’ve won clearance by 10+ and contested possession by 20+. That has been our issue over the last month and I don’t think it was improved. It was just purely Essendon’s shitness.
Essendon are a better centre clearance side and we won that aspect of the game. We won stoppage clearances as well, despite losing the hitout battle. +14 contested possessions is not far off your mark.

More important were other metrics. +9 on tackles and +11 on tackles I50. +12 1%ers, +17 I50, and our front-half intercept game was dominant.

Given we parked it at quarter time, I'm not sure what you're still sooking about. We won centre clearances and tied total clearances with Brisbane, and were only -9 on contested possessions. That was an improvement on the Cats game in those regards you mentioned as "our issue".

Nice to get an easy win, and an amazing achievement to finish a game clear top of the ladder. We have had a pretty challenging draw too with double ups against Carlton, Brisbane, Port, Geelong, Adelaide and Essendon (was tricky until the last month of the season).

Having said that, our team defence is still leaking. There were too many times they were able to chip through with relative ease. We want it back into contest and motion, the control game can get through us on the switch or through the middle, which may be players taking it easy a little bit, but is also a little worrying. I would have preferred that area tightened up and us not winning by as much.

There are question marks on every team though, so we just trust in Fly and the coaching department who have not let us down so far!

season 13 GIF

Essendon are a better centre clearance side and we won that aspect of the game. We won stoppage clearances as well, despite losing the hitout battle. +14 contested possessions is not far off your mark.

More important were other metrics. +9 on tackles and +11 on tackles I50. +12 1%ers, +17 I50, and our front-half intercept game was dominant.

Given we parked it at quarter time, I'm not sure what you're still sooking about. We won centre clearances and tied total clearances with Brisbane, and were only -9 on contested possessions. That was an improvement on the Cats game in those regards you mentioned as "our issue".

Essendon over the last month are better at nothing than anyone in the comp. Plus they were missing 1/3 of their best 22. North would’ve beaten that Essendon team by 6 goals last night.

“Our issue” is pretty obvious when the Hawks flogged us at clearance and contested ball, so did Carlton and the first half of Brisbane before we started to even it out.

I don’t think we can take anything from last night. Their fumbling, indecision, goal kicking and total lack of effort in the 1st qtr was horrendous.

Finals are all about contested possession and clearance so you can get territory. I’m a bit worried about that on our recent form.

Even our cheer squad booed when Tippa was robbed of that opportunity.

I don’t recall seeing anything quite like that before although it didn’t hurt that, being ten goals up, Pies fans could afford to be generous towards Tippa.
It's like gifting a wrestling match to a kid with spina-bifida for the feel good factor. It doesn't sit right with me. He needs to earn a last goal if there's to be one. It's a competitive game, not a charity.

If Luke Shackleton was still at the club they'd have been a good matchup.

1128-Shackleton_Luke.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lyon doesn't hate Collingwood, but Lewis and Brown definitely does.
Yeah he does. Can’t find a video of it, but in the 2000’s he made a speech during one of their many false dawns about how Melbourne were on the rise and very specifically and unnecessarily gloated about how Collingwood were floundering.

He hates the pies as much as anyone, just makes more of an effort to hide it in general.

s**t tackle followed by a cheap dog act by Redman , reportable.
I was yelling at the TV even after the free was given. What umpire allows a player to have their neck attacked after receiving a free kick with no recourse..?

Anyone listening to the post match? Lyon, Brown, Lewis all clueless. Talking about will Murphy get his spot back? Will McStay get dropped after being quiet tonight? Browny was sure Murphy isn't needed and Lewis that McStay will be dropped, Lyon liked this one too. Garry also happily announcing that Howe is not a forward, just like he wasn’t at Melbourne. Tried it didn't work and will stay in defence. This may be the case now, but his performance up forward would not be the main reason, it would be mostly about fitting Cox in.

Not sure how much of us they watch, but absolutely no idea. Bucks the only one making any sense.
This is kind of why it’s pointless listening to any footy show / commentators / journos

Their opinion has no say in whether a player plays, a game is won or lost, a trade or draft happens, a premiership won or lost

Gary was adamant 10 weeks ago we’d win the flag, then adamant a couple weeks ago that we wouldn’t. So he’s right. And wrong.

Nice to have straight goal kicking, we know there was little pressure applied but straight kicking will help during finals,it is the reason Ginnivan could be so important during finals like him or not we have few more dependable kicks at goal than him.

Redman obviously thought he could get away with the tackle on Ginnivan and had the nerve to keep at it after the whistle, only way to stop that is either report him or someone belts him hard so he thinks twice next time.

I hope Cam Mooney is right in his thoughts on us

He said that in his experience, as a side that has top spot sewn up you can get very CBF about H&A and you’re just waiting for finals to start

Which many here have alluded to

It’s still ultimately a “switch flick” for all intents and purposes but he saw enough in this game to think we’re back to where we were and are now set for finals

Fingers crossed he’s right

A solid hit out. Good signs. Thought our delivery in the second half into the forward line wasn’t great. And some missed targets in field kicking (8?) from blokes who are usually more reliable. Mitchell showed good endeavour. Do you reckon we will “get to work” this week?!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back