Toast Round 24 = Essendon 31-101 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope Cam Mooney is right in his thoughts on us

He said that in his experience, as a side that has top spot sewn up you can get very CBF about H&A and you’re just waiting for finals to start

Which many here have alluded to

It’s still ultimately a “switch flick” for all intents and purposes but he saw enough in this game to think we’re back to where we were and are now set for finals

Fingers crossed he’s right

I think Maynard’s comments prior to the Port game were telling. We saw that one as the one in which to assert our superiority, and the remainder of the season they looked to be going through the motions, honestly.

We have home ground advantage through finals, a double chance, and a very short injury list for the QF. We won the most games and have the highest percentage. Barring Nick’s unavailability, it’s as good as you could hope for as a launching pad.

Yet another metric we lead the comp in, McClelland trophy, we lead all of them except one.

Win 🏆 before the blose and bomb outs, we truly truly then can claim to be undisputed number one in this competition. Right now we can't win flag banter with those two mobs

That's the end game.

So back to the game, I'm in Bali and missed the first half. Seems we had a first quarter blitz, haven't seen the stats either.

To the eye, was it us regaining ideal game? And given it was the bomb outs, can we produce it against the contenders?

We'll need our close space and turnover game for the flag. Looked like cue in the rack in the 2nd half but I'm confident the switch is slowly flicking

Ignore the motherhood statements, fair weather supporters and back slapers on this forum, we beat a very poor Essendon side missing some quality ( as were we ) Did what we did but gee still some worrying signs still, don’t believe in “we took our foot off the pedal crap” that’s child talk !

Onwards and upwards
I dunno, I reckon we did put the cue in the rack in the 2nd half. And it might explain our cliff like drop off in form since the gc game.

You're probably aware but there's no collective group of human beings able to execute our ideal game all game every game. It's just too taxing.

Wouldn't be surprised if we have been 'managing ' the season and we're not showing our hand.

Here's an apposite quote from The Age's review of the game:

The desperation McRae wanted from his charges that had been lacking in the spate of dead rubbers was evident from go to whoa.

Fly's presser

Were you happy with the response tonight?

What was the most pleasing thing about tonight?

Are you back in 'form'?

What about Jack Ginnivan? You must have been rapt with his performance tonight and the way he's responded in the past month?

Was there a turning point in Jack Ginnivan's year after spending a lot of time in the VFL?

Beau McCreery will be returning from suspension for the first final, can you find room for Ginnivan, McCreery and Hill all in that forward line?

How's Jamie Elliott?

Nick Daicos definitely won't be playing in the first final?

Finishing on top of the ladder and being minor premiers, do you see that as an achievement in and of itself?

How have you assessed Brayden Maynard in the past fortnight as captain? How have you seen his leadership growth?

How important was the early first goal from Jordan De Goey in setting the tone for the rest of the match?

Have you got your game back in good order now?

Will do some heavy match simulation in the bye week in preparation for the Qualifying Final?

Did you see enough from Fin Macrae to think that you could call on him in the 22 during September?

What's your initial assessment of Mason Cox and Darcy Cameron and how it played out in the ruck and whether you want to keep going with playing two frontline rucks?

Holds his cards to his chest does Fly, a Sheedy of a different dimension.

For example doesn't believe in 'form' then later explains about Masons, Cameron's and Moores

Makes it look transparent, but won't give anything away to the opposition.

The unassuming gentle father figure assassin. Deadly.

Love him.

That was what you'd call a glorified training run. Smoked them early and then it was circle work for 3 quarters.

We have flaws, but so does every other finalist. Which is why it shapes up to be one of the most intriguing finals series in recent memory. All of the top 4 would fancy themselves, teams 5-8 will come in with good form but as per usual hit the wall against the better sides.

Was good to see De Goey, Cox, Ginny and a number of others find some of their best footy last night. I think Coxy has to take the no.1 ruck mantle. Interesting to note he played significantly more minutes than Cameron last night.

The real stuff starts now, cannot farkin wait.

The first qtr showed they had zero bounce back. I was expecting them to have a reaction and come out hard. They came out like wet lettuce.

They kicked 3.13, that’s why we won by 70. Against a team that bad and that limp we should’ve won clearance by 10+ and contested possession by 20+. That has been our issue over the last month and I don’t think it was improved. It was just purely Essendon’s shitness.

This is a quote from your post on August 18th - that’s the type of positivity you should be focused on.

“That’s about as good as Brisbane can play, we lose by 4 goals with 3 of our best 5 players out while they kick very accurate.

Is that something to worry about? I don’t think so”

Given where he was at the start of the year, he's living the dream.
I love what he's brought to the team.
He's like the Energizer Bunny.
Love him more every time I see him get interviewed. He’s just so grateful for his opportunity. I like when people are grateful and appreciate what they have. He’s also got incredibly good disposal. Uses the ball very well.
Got to love his signature double high fives! High ten!

Holds his cards to his chest does Fly, a Sheedy of a different dimension.

For example doesn't believe in 'form' then later explains about Masons, Cameron's and Moores

Makes it look transparent, but won't give anything away to the opposition.

The unassuming gentle father figure assassin. Deadly.

Love him.
He’s quite the polka player, our Fly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know what happen to Adams in the 2nd half? Did he not be able to get on the ground too much, did they rest him? Only had 3 touches in the whole 2nd half.

Someone asked me, and it didn't even occur to me.
He played 76% game time. We had a few players who were being managed in the second half and keeping out of the heat. Pendles similar. We had Macrae on and he was taking up part of Adams' role.

Minor premiership years:

1890s = 0
1900s = 3 = (1902, 1903, 1905)
1910s = 3 = (1915, 1917, 1919)
1920s = 5 = (1922, 1926, 1927, 1928, 1929)
1930s = 1 = (1930)

1940s = 0
1950s = 0
1960s = 2 = (1966, 1969)
1970s = 3 = (1970, 1973, 1977)

1980s = 0
1990s = 0
2000s = 0
2010s = 2 = (2010, 2011)
2020s = 1 = (2023)

And how many flags out of these - 9

yeah I'm a downer