Preview Round 3 – North Melbourne vs GWS Giants, Saturday 8th April, 1.45pm, Blundstone Arena

Remove this Banner Ad

I will put the poor disposal and goal kicking inaccuracy down to the wind but maybe they need to schedule a session near (Windiest place in Sydney, NFI) and hoping it does not continue. Glad to get the 4 points on a ground and with conditions that the team would not be familiar with
6 goals to 2 in the last quarter made the difference on the scoreboard and with more accurate kicking it would have been 10-12 goal thrashing
I was impressed with Preuss after watching the game I thought it was media hype, but for a big man in his third game that was impressive although it does relegate Goldstein to a more bit part player so I think they would be better with another mid for some games
Kelly and Ward the most influential and was Smith in more of a mid role this week?
Hopper and Taranto both solid although nothing spectacular, but I can see faster improvement from Hopper so he should be able to step up next week into a more permanent inside role
I agree with those that are singing the praises of Toby, he has continued his form from last year and I can see improvement coming later this year

Watched the replay.

Easily outclassed North. Always looked to have their measure. With some straight kicking for goal it would have been the 10 goal win it deserved.

Stats back that up. Clearances 49-32 and inside 50s 71-49, contested possessions 166-137. We also covered them on the effort stats with tackles 71-65 and one percenters 48-36. Much like last week, pretty one-sided game against an opponent who won't make the 8, but this time they put up a struggle so it wasn't all one-way traffic.

Jeremy Cameron's really lifted his game this year. From 2012-2016 he was pretty much a pure goalscorer. This year he is starting to get more engaged through the game. Kicks, marks, tackles all significantly up. If this lasts through the year it makes our forward line much more dangerous.

Devon Smith looking great. Back to his best. Link up play, defensive pressure, goals, fits our half forward line perfectly.

Ryan Griffen injury won't be too impactful, he's been peripheral at best so far this year. M Kennedy or Setterfield will get an opportunity.

Aidan Corr, turns 23 within 2 months and just played game 37. So many injuries. I didn't notice him or his opponent too much today, when I did he seemed solid. Hope he gets a clear run with injury.

Stevie J looks to be struggling a bit. You'd think he will be influential when he's needed, and today was not one of those days.

Toby Greene, Zac Williams, Josh Kelly, Tom Scully, Callan Ward, Dylan Shiel...all played well. Team effort.

For North, Ziebell played a lone hand in midfield. You would think they won't win too many games when Swallow has 4 kicks, Higgins has 7 kicks, Goldstein has 12 possessions / 10 hitouts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back