Autopsy Round 3 – Sydney Swans vs GWS Giants, Saturday 7th April 2018, SCG, 7.25pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
“The will to win, when it’s not working their way”. That was what impressed Leon most about yesterday’s victory against Collingwood.

Twelve months ago, we probably would have lost a game like that. Leon thought you could put the change down to a bit of maturity, noticeable cohesion within the group (beautifully captured in that poignant image of Shiel comforting a distraught Scully), and most of the team having their own “big moment” during the match, whereas 12 months ago it was only half of them.

Incidentally, regarding our record at the MCG, Leon thought it was not so much an issue with the ground, but our ability to travel per se, which he thought was improving. Let's hope we improve again in Round 23.

Whatever, it was uncomfortably close, and the four points were achieved at a very high price with the tragic injury to Scully. But Collingwood at the MCG was always going to be harder than the stroll-in-the-park of Round 1.

Now for next week. Initially, I was going to write that this would probably be the biggest derby in Sydney since the Qualifying Final of 2016. But the GIANT upset in the Swans vs Power game will probably dampen those expectations.

The Swans seemed to start the season in excellent form. They (or perhaps Buddy) were pretty awesome against the Eagles in Perth, in a game played with the intensity of a final.

Perhaps that intensity, and the long road trip, took it out of them. They were extremely inefficient with the ball during the first half against the Power, winning the inside 50 count 35-14, but only for a 14-point lead. And there was more congestion at the SCG in that first half than the M5 tunnel during happy hour. Perhaps that also took its toll. I thought they started to run out of puff late in the second quarter.

It’s hard to predict what effect an unexpected defeat like that will have on them. They will probably be a bit deflated, and coming off a six day break. But they’ve just put themselves under a heap of pressure.

With us, I don’t think there will too many changes to the team, because a) we’re winning, and b) the more settled we are, the better. Toby will definitely be back; Jacob Hopper and Harry Perryman played well in the NEAFL and may be in the mix. Hopper is the most obvious direct replacement for Scully, who we have probably lost for the season. I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

We seem to have uncovered something of a gem in The Other Jeremy. We took a punt on him four years ago - at pick 100! It’s taken a while, but has he ever come good. Leon was rapt with the performance he and Phil Davis put in. We’ll need big games from both of them against the Swans, as it’s never a good idea to give Lance Franklin too much space.

Despite the shock result tonight, I still think this is going to be a tough contest with plenty of stoppages. The Swans generally play their little duck pond quite well and will be motivated simply because it's us. We’re going to have to lift another notch or two to win.

Let’s see if Leon’s “will to win” extends for another week.

Giants by 16.

Last edited:
One thing, I dont think the result of the Port Swans game was a surprise. Port were missing Ryder but they creamed Freo at home. Freo then came out and beat the Bombers to prove to they're not easybeats.

Our form isn't as hot by comparison. We couldn't have eaten the Bulldogs any easier but the Eagles smashed them at home as well.The Pies game was always gonna be tough for us, and we got the 4 points, which was wonderful.

I think this game will give the first strong indication of where we sit. It has to be a win if we're considering ourselves as good as Port, but the Swans will be pissed and desperate to get their season back on track. Early days but they took a hit today I think.

For all that I think we'll win, and make it clear we are serious contenders. Giants by 5 goals for me.

We seem to have uncovered something of a gem in The Other Jeremy. We took a punt on him four years ago - at pick 100!

It was actually 6 years ago. We brought him up to Sydney on scholarship 2 years before we drafted him - and got him late because nobody else bid on him [so everyone had their chance and nobody was interested so they can all G&GF now] and we could use our last pick to get him (in fact we passed on picks 72 & 80 on the way to taking him at 85)

A dodgy hip early kept him out, then a couple of other injuries, then a suspension for taking out Zac Jones in the NEAFL GF (instead of the commendation he should have got) delayed his senior start - then an injury before quarter time stuffed him for an extended period.

He’s finally cracked it and is now making the most of it - one of the great stories.

Sydney will be very difficult to beat at home, especially after being rolled this game - they won't want to lose 2 on the trot. However, that means that we will establish our bona fides if we can beat them. I expect the game to be close as always, with all lines - midfield, forward & defence - quite closely matched up. Whichever side can eke out an advantage in any part of the field will go a long way towards winning the game. I believe that GWS has the edge in each of the areas (except for the individual brilliance of Buddy) if we perform at close to 100%, but we are probably more variable in performance than Sydney.

Lobb shouldn't be beaten in the ruck by Sinclair as badly as he was by Grundy in the Pies game, and should provide a better option around the ground. It will then be up to the midfield to win an even or better share of the ball - we have both won and lost this in the past against the Swans. I'd expect Hopper to come back in, to give us another grunt option, and better allow Kelly, Shiel & Taranto to run free. They will need to deliver the ball better to our forwards than they did at the MCG. Greene returning (hopefully) will be a big step towards the forward line functioning better. As commented elsewhere, I think Leon will try to understand the likely Swans forward set up - particularly does Sam Reid return - before making the call on the tall defenders (Corr out or retained). Neither Patton nor HH were particularly effective up forward, and while I expect the General to hold his spot as he's a different beast to Jezza, I wonder if HH might be looked at in terms of the forward setup - possibly a call of Corr vs HH if Tommo or ToJ are played on a wing.

I expect to see:
Outs: Scully (inj) & one of Corr, HH or Reid
Ins: Greene & Hopper.

Will be a great game and it will be interesting to see what changes the Swans make and how that effects their structure but Reid back in if fit will provide another target up forward which i think was missing v Port and then the run of Jones to come back in also
For the Giants I can see the 2 changes being Greene and Hopper in for Scully and Corr, Patton to have a week to find some form and I would like to see a change in structure with Tomlinson and HH to play back, wings and forward during stages of the game and try and create some room for Patton

Shaw Davis Finlayson
Whitfield Tomlinson Haynes
Kelly Ward Shiel
Greene Cameron MDB
TT Patton Langdon
Lobb Coniglio Hopper
Deledio HH Reid Lloyd

Team is a bit slow but the runners are a few weeks away

Will be a great game and it will be interesting to see what changes the Swans make and how that effects their structure but Reid back in if fit will provide another target up forward which i think was missing v Port and then the run of Jones to come back in also
For the Giants I can see the 2 changes being Greene and Hopper in for Scully and Corr, Patton to have a week to find some form and I would like to see a change in structure with Tomlinson and HH to play back, wings and forward during stages of the game and try and create some room for Patton

Shaw Davis Finlayson
Whitfield Tomlinson Haynes
Kelly Ward Shiel
Greene Cameron MDB
TT Patton Langdon
Lobb Coniglio Hopper
Deledio HH Reid Lloyd

Team is a bit slow but the runners are a few weeks away
To me if their Reid plays Corr plays, if not then maybe plays anyway.

I dont think Patton is close to getting dropped. A few of our guys were down against the Pies, s**t happens. I don' think He's a natural for ruck work and the constant collisions, but he definitely has the body for it. Leon knows best I guess.

Rarely do all of our towards fire on the same day, I think that's the point. Disappointing he isn't getting a cou0le at least though. His shooting seems a bit off when he does get an opportunity this year, to me.

Sydney will be very difficult to beat at home, especially after being rolled this game - they won't want to lose 2 on the trot. However, that means that we will establish our bona fides if we can beat them. I expect the game to be close as always, with all lines - midfield, forward & defence - quite closely matched up. Whichever side can eke out an advantage in any part of the field will go a long way towards winning the game. I believe that GWS has the edge in each of the areas (except for the individual brilliance of Buddy) if we perform at close to 100%, but we are probably more variable in performance than Sydney.

Lobb shouldn't be beaten in the ruck by Sinclair as badly as he was by Grundy in the Pies game, and should provide a better option around the ground. It will then be up to the midfield to win an even or better share of the ball - we have both won and lost this in the past against the Swans. I'd expect Hopper to come back in, to give us another grunt option, and better allow Kelly, Shiel & Taranto to run free. They will need to deliver the ball better to our forwards than they did at the MCG. Greene returning (hopefully) will be a big step towards the forward line functioning better. As commented elsewhere, I think Leon will try to understand the likely Swans forward set up - particularly does Sam Reid return - before making the call on the tall defenders (Corr out or retained). Neither Patton nor HH were particularly effective up forward, and while I expect the General to hold his spot as he's a different beast to Jezza, I wonder if HH might be looked at in terms of the forward setup - possibly a call of Corr vs HH if Tommo or ToJ are played on a wing.

I expect to see:
Outs: Scully (inj) & one of Corr, HH or Reid
Ins: Greene & Hopper.
Lloyd another possibility for the outs.

Lloyd another possibility for the outs.
Yeah, I think he's proved he is nothing more than okay depth.
Yes, I'd agree he could be included as another possible out. (Although I think he's still got a bit of support from the coaching staff after a solid preseason, from all reports. I reckon he may go when Bonar, Daniels or Shipley get called up - they'll provide more x factor.)

Looking at the Swans v Port post-mortem, apart from decrying the umpiring (don't all fans always do so after a loss) they've blamed their own skill errors (poor kicking mainly - well we saw some of that too) but that's usually caused - or at least helped - by opposition pressure. So, important for us to bring the pressure game. Question for the match selection committee is whether the current team can do so, or whether it can be improved. I know there's the old adage about not changing a winning team, but to me, any time you identify a weakness you should act. So Leon needs to be looking at whether anyone on the sidelines can do more than the team on the park. However, none of the new draftees have played a competitive NEAFL game, so I don't think whatever good reports they've received so far can count for too much, unless there's a previous body of evidence. i.e. Hopper & Perryman the main options to consider bringing in.

Yes, I'd agree he could be included as another possible out. (Although I think he's still got a bit of support from the coaching staff after a solid preseason, from all reports. I reckon he may go when Bonar, Daniels or Shipley get called up - they'll provide more x factor.)

Looking at the Swans v Port post-mortem, apart from decrying the umpiring (don't all fans always do so after a loss) they've blamed their own skill errors (poor kicking mainly - well we saw some of that too) but that's usually caused - or at least helped - by opposition pressure. So, important for us to bring the pressure game. Question for the match selection committee is whether the current team can do so, or whether it can be improved. I know there's the old adage about not changing a winning team, but to me, any time you identify a weakness you should act. So Leon needs to be looking at whether anyone on the sidelines can do more than the team on the park. However, none of the new draftees have played a competitive NEAFL game, so I don't think whatever good reports they've received so far can count for too much, unless there's a previous body of evidence. i.e. Hopper & Perryman the main options to consider bringing in.
Hopper can handle the big stage. He definitely comes in. Happy for Corr to take Franklin too, he's beaten him before.

I just want to bloody beat these flogs.

Hopper can handle the big stage. He definitely comes in. Happy for Corr to take Franklin too, he's beaten him before.

No problem with Corr being in the team but don’t get Leon’s obsession with going in with too many talks each week. Last year he did it with the forwards and now he is doing it with the backs. 5 tall defenders (Davis, Haynes, Corr, Tomlinson and Finlayson) is too many even if one spends some time on the wing.

Corr is the most obvious out of them to miss out although they seem to have Finlayson playing a similar role to Haynes so his position might come under pressure if Finlayson keeps it up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney will be very difficult to beat at home, especially after being rolled this game - they won't want to lose 2 on the trot.

We have to be right mentally for this game.

Port beat the Swans by a similar margin at the SCG last season. So there's no reason we can't win again, provided our preparation is right.

If Port can do it, so can we.

Davis will play on Franklin, he usually goes alright on him

Port did us no favours - swans will be pi$$ed.
Yeah they will. The challenge for us is to take the decision on who wins out if their hands to me. I don't think any defender will beat Buddy, but if our mids get on top we can stop his supply, or at least give the backs time to get organised. Rory had a bad day at the taps against Grundy, but it'll be easier opposition this week.

you will win in a canter, dont think we are very good atm, we are just all about kick it to Buddy even more then ever which is so annoying. So Tim Torranto a full time mid now? He is a real boss, Brownlow material fm .

you will win in a canter, dont think we are very good atm, we are just all about kick it to Buddy even more then ever which is so annoying. So Tim Torranto a full time mid now? He is a real boss, Brownlow material fm .

We thought the same about the Pies.

And last year tought us about being cocky.

Have to treat each team as Champions.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

With Langdons injury I would like to see a debut for Shipley or Bonar although earlier than I am sure most would like and it will be a high pressure game but they will learn from it

With Langdons injury I would like to see a debut for Shipley or Bonar although earlier than I am sure most would like and it will be a high pressure game but they will learn from it
With langdons injury I think Lloyd just scored another week in the seniors. But I do see Shipley and Bonar both pushing for 1 Spot. Greene comes back in automatically

Remove this Banner Ad

Back