AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
Match Details:

Saturday, April 7

1:15pm ACST (12:45 AEST)

@ Adelaide Oval

This week sees us head to Adelaide for the first leg of two away games against serious flag contenders. It's our first chance to show our wares against a potential 2018 premier (that's right Melbourne supporters and the Victorian media), so it's a big week for Brisbane players and supporters to see some evidence of progress. We'll also come up against a favourite son for the first time, which will be the toughest thing to stomach since Bradshaw booted 6 on us in a Swans uniform.

We Need to Talk About Tom (and Jack)
My favourite former Lion now playing for Port (note: it's not Polec) is yet to set the world alight at Alberton, seemingly still suffering from the shoulder injury that knocked him around last year. I do hope Rocky can get healthy and play some good footy in a side that should go deep this year. But I also hope his break out game is at least one more week away.

Jack Watts is another experienced newbie and is already looking comfortable in the teal. After a solid outing in the JLT Cup, bagging 6 against the Crows, he followed it up in round 1 with another 3. While quiet last week, he's starting to look like an A-grader.

Giving Ourselves a Chance
Our most important hurdle to leap this week is the very first one. Our starts have cost us twice already, with catch-up footy after quarter-time already a concerning trend.

While we've managed to get ourselves back in to the game against St Kilda and Melbourne, the energy expended getting there could not be sustained to the end of the games. Early scoring opportunities and early accuracy is a must this week, otherwise we could find ourselves on the receiving end of a hiding.

Stopping the Forward Line
Port's forwards are just about the strongest in the league. As well as Watts, the forwards boast quality players like Charlie Dixon, Wingard, Boak and the Hoff. Our defenders look unsettled at the moment, and last week's game didn't fill me with confidence going into this week. Keeping Dixon quiet is a key for mine, so I would not mind seeing a big guy like Walker take the main role, with Harris Andrews dropping back to support. If this means bringing an extra guy into defence then so be it - it may just free Harris up enough to work his way back into form.

Unfortunately, Port's hoarding of forward talent extends beyond these household names. If you haven't heard of Todd Marshall yet, you soon will. 7 goals already this year from 22 touches and silky skills for a big guy. Port grabbed him with pick 16 in the 2016 draft, and at nearly 2m tall he's got to be one of the most exciting KPF prospects going around. Oh, to have our time at the draft table again!

While this all looks daunting, Hodgey's pointing game is on fire at the moment, so a strong defensive performance surely isn't far away.

Winning the Ruck Battle
We got killed at the beginning and end of the Melbourne game in the ruck. On numerous occasions Gawn hit a player running into a hole already at full pace and it made our mids look a little silly. With Ryder out, the ruck is a winnable battle ground for us. A big game from Stef could go a long way to keeping us competitive this week.

A Little Bit of Spread
Unfortunately I’ve not been to too many games the past couple of seasons, so what struck me instantly while in attendance last week was just how concentrated our boys are around the football. We seem to commit so intently to the current situation (be it offence or defence) that we're too slow to adjust for a quick turnover. It made it clear to me why coast-to-coast rebounds have been prolific against us already this year. But it also provided some clarity as to why we are fantastic at blasting out of defence to a line of opponents, as our guys don't present options quickly enough. Surprisingly, I thought Bewick was most creative last week at the rebound. Off topic - I do hope Bewick gets the chance to string a few games together in this next little period. I had him well cemented in my top 5 last week. I know he teases us with glimpses of potential, but I'd love to see some good form win him another contract.

Our New Hero's return to Adelaide Oval
Yes, it's early in his Lions career, but how can you not be excited about Charlie Cameron at the moment? He'll be back this week to the ground he and Eddie Betts managed to light up regularly, and at some point this year I suspect a Gabba pocket will be named in his honour. Charlie adds much needed speed and potency around goal, and with the comfort of the Adelaide Oval to assist, a good day out for the Lions would surely include 3 or 4 from Port's pick #12.

So, can we actually dare to dream... Can we win?
Technically, yes

Lions by 30+

Great preview.

Unfortunately I think we are going to get monstered. I assume with all of the talent Port brought in over the off season they probably have one of the most experienced lists in the comp.

Lions by 3 goals.

Port grabbed him with pick 16 in the 2016 draft, and at nearly 2m tall he's got to be one of the most exciting KPF prospects going around. Oh, to have our time at the draft table again!

I'm pretty happy with cluggers and berry from that draft tbh.

Good preview though :)

Great preview :)

Sadly I think we are going to cop a hiding. Port by plenty :(

This is scary game, away against an in form team early in the season that just seem to be running on top of the ground. I don't want to hear excuses our young guys will learn a lot or that dreaded honourable loss scenario. It's our backline I worried about, it just seems unsettled, the rest will be fine. Go boys, I'll take any loss less that 24 points as a good performance.

People need to be very logical when approaching this game. We are tipped to lose by close to 50 points - we are up against a genuine contender (hopefully found out to be the reincarnation of the 2010 Lions squad this week!) And a flogging is on the cards. This is not to say we can't bring it to them and make them earn it, but we will absolutely have to put in a four quarter effort.

A 45 point loss is expected. Anything under 35 is a good effort.

Without sounding overdramatic I'm genuinely expecting a huge loss, 80+ points.

Port know how to ski downhill, our defence is iffy and they are a really good team. We've been smashed at Adelaide oval in the past as well which might be colouring my views.

Lmao at anyone thinking we have a chance in this one

The game will be over at quarter time. Just like all our other ones

Port by 80

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really wish they use Matt Eagles at some point. He has presence, a bit of x factor, and a mature body. Our defence needs some mongrel. He reads the play well.

Hopefully Port aren't really switched on and we have a good start. Zac Bailey would be a good selection.

Port coming off a big win against the swans and they will think they just have to turn up to win.I think we will be competitive at the stoppages.Port giving up 45.5 pt start I will be having a large investment on our boys with the start.Think we will be close until the last qtr and then port get away from us.Port by 31.

Kochie looks very relaxed on Sunrise this morning, he obviously isn’t concerned about this weeks game. I’d love to wipe that smug look off his face, Lions by 16.

Match Details:

Saturday, April 7

1:15pm ACST (12:45 AEST)

@ Adelaide Oval

This week sees us head to Adelaide for the first leg of two away games against serious flag contenders. It's our first chance to show our wares against a potential 2018 premier (that's right Melbourne supporters and the Victorian media), so it's a big week for Brisbane players and supporters to see some evidence of progress. We'll also come up against a favourite son for the first time, which will be the toughest thing to stomach since Bradshaw booted 6 on us in a Swans uniform.

We Need to Talk About Tom (and Jack)
My favourite former Lion now playing for Port (note: it's not Polec) is yet to set the world alight at Alberton, seemingly still suffering from the shoulder injury that knocked him around last year. I do hope Rocky can get healthy and play some good footy in a side that should go deep this year. But I also hope his break out game is at least one more week away.

Jack Watts is another experienced newbie and is already looking comfortable in the teal. After a solid outing in the JLT Cup, bagging 6 against the Crows, he followed it up in round 1 with another 3. While quiet last week, he's starting to look like an A-grader.

Giving Ourselves a Chance
Our most important hurdle to leap this week is the very first one. Our starts have cost us twice already, with catch-up footy after quarter-time already a concerning trend.

While we've managed to get ourselves back in to the game against St Kilda and Melbourne, the energy expended getting there could not be sustained to the end of the games. Early scoring opportunities and early accuracy is a must this week, otherwise we could find ourselves on the receiving end of a hiding.

Stopping the Forward Line
Port's forwards are just about the strongest in the league. As well as Watts, the forwards boast quality players like Charlie Dixon, Wingard, Boak and the Hoff. Our defenders look unsettled at the moment, and last week's game didn't fill me with confidence going into this week. Keeping Dixon quiet is a key for mine, so I would not mind seeing a big guy like Walker take the main role, with Harris Andrews dropping back to support. If this means bringing an extra guy into defence then so be it - it may just free Harris up enough to work his way back into form.

Unfortunately, Port's hoarding of forward talent extends beyond these household names. If you haven't heard of Todd Marshall yet, you soon will. 7 goals already this year from 22 touches and silky skills for a big guy. Port grabbed him with pick 16 in the 2016 draft, and at nearly 2m tall he's got to be one of the most exciting KPF prospects going around. Oh, to have our time at the draft table again!

While this all looks daunting, Hodgey's pointing game is on fire at the moment, so a strong defensive performance surely isn't far away.

Winning the Ruck Battle
We got killed at the beginning and end of the Melbourne game in the ruck. On numerous occasions Gawn hit a player running into a hole already at full pace and it made our mids look a little silly. With Ryder out, the ruck is a winnable battle ground for us. A big game from Stef could go a long way to keeping us competitive this week.

A Little Bit of Spread
Unfortunately I’ve not been to too many games the past couple of seasons, so what struck me instantly while in attendance last week was just how concentrated our boys are around the football. We seem to commit so intently to the current situation (be it offence or defence) that we're too slow to adjust for a quick turnover. It made it clear to me why coast-to-coast rebounds have been prolific against us already this year. But it also provided some clarity as to why we are fantastic at blasting out of defence to a line of opponents, as our guys don't present options quickly enough. Surprisingly, I thought Bewick was most creative last week at the rebound. Off topic - I do hope Bewick gets the chance to string a few games together in this next little period. I had him well cemented in my top 5 last week. I know he teases us with glimpses of potential, but I'd love to see some good form win him another contract.

Our New Hero's return to Adelaide Oval
Yes, it's early in his Lions career, but how can you not be excited about Charlie Cameron at the moment? He'll be back this week to the ground he and Eddie Betts managed to light up regularly, and at some point this year I suspect a Gabba pocket will be named in his honour. Charlie adds much needed speed and potency around goal, and with the comfort of the Adelaide Oval to assist, a good day out for the Lions would surely include 3 or 4 from Port's pick #12.

So, can we actually dare to dream... Can we win?
Technically, yes

Lions by 30+
Really strong Preview. I am also impressed by the strength of the hallucinogens you are on. Lions by 30+

I like our chances of getting off to a good start this week. We will be primed to have an early impact after the last 2 weeks. Port had an extremely emotional high last week and a very tough physical game. We need to hit them hard early and give them something to think about. Mentally they may not be up to it 2 weeks in a row if we can bring the intensity of our second half from the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back