Unofficial Preview Round 3 2018 Early Thoughts - Sydney v GWS @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Sunday Port and ourselves had the same number of inside 50s (52), but whereas ours were shallow, Port's were deeper and they had the ability to put our defence under pressure, creating errors/turnovers/scores. (Tackles inside 50; Sydney 4*, Port Adelaide 14).
In 2016/7 we averaged ~13 I50 tackles per game (we had 10 v WCE rd 1).

We play into GWS' style if we go shallow I50 this week. They have guys such as like Finlayson/Haynes/Shaw/Whitfield who are all capable of intercepting/rebounding (hopefully Davis will have his hands full with Buddy).
GWS look to force intercepts, run the ball out and go long to their marking targets.
We need to have the option of a deep target and at the very least lock the ball in.
Pressure on the ball carrier is essential. GWS have led the league in bounces (ave 11 in 2018, 10 in 2017 and 13 in 2016) and are good at creating space and an option for the runner.
( By comparison we have been constantly bottom 2 in bounces 2016/18 averaging ~4).

At the other end, in 2018, GWS lead the comp for marks inside 50 (ave 17), we average 8.5 (only Franklin with 3.5 averages more than 1). Cameron is clearly their main man (over 5 a game). Greene took 5 I50 marks in his one game. No other player averages more than two. I wouldn't mind taking the risk of Melican on Cameron and look for Rampe/Mills or even Fox to roll off as 3rd man in.

Lobb was thrashed by B. Grundy on the weekend. Be interesting to see if Simpson comes in and Lobb moves fwd.
Whatever happens with the GWS ruck, I'd prefer that Sinclair was not dragged into our defensive 50. At least have him as an outlet option for the quick kick out of defence.

If fit, Reid is a definite in. If n/a then I'd like to see Darcy Cameron come in as essentially a stay at home FF and back up ruck option. I'd prefer him to McCartin who at this stage presents more as a mobile fwd. In the pre-season we used Reid out of the goalsquare, so presumably something we have trained for.
Out - Rohan. Struggled in the JLT, no impact v Port. (v Port 7 disp, 87 metres gained - both lowest for team, 5 tackles, but only 1 I50).

If Jones is fit he comes in.
Structurally I'd prefer for Towers, but probably for Hayward.
Watching KJ and looking at his game time not sure he is 100%.
IF he needs it just give him a week off.

*(1 each to Franklin, Florent, Hayward & Rohan)
Great post! Thanks!

In; Reid, Newman, Aliir

Out; Fox, Hayward, Melican/Towers

I’m not that sure I’d bring any of them in. Actually a bit over bringing in underdone players without a run in the two’s first! Would also like to see players with consistently good form in the two’s rewarded with a Senior game. I know there was a heap of venting by people on here last year over Dawson not being rewarded but it was deservedly so! The ROK treatment needs to be implemented (not necessarily for the season but throughout the season).

In; Reid, Newman, Aliir

Out; Fox, Hayward, Melican/Towers

So somehow Rohan survives....AGAIN?

Towers was hardly our worst, would have been in our better 10 players on Saturday. Fox tried hard, deserves another game. Hayward I can understand (despite me being a huge Hayward fan)

Aliir probably needs a run in the NEAFL first- can't have underdone players in the side.

Newman for Rohan
Reid for Hayward/Fox (I'd probably drop Hayward).

I hate making large changes to teams and know most of these have injury clouds around their heads but would prefer to see something like this

IN: Reid, Jones, Newman/Aliir
OUT: Fox, Rohan, Hayward

My biggest concern is we need some more height down forward. I wanted Rohan to be back on the paddock but he didn't offer much on the weekend. If Aliir or Reid can't make it on the field Rohan has to stay

So somehow Rohan survives....AGAIN?

Towers was hardly our worst, would have been in our better 10 players on Saturday. Fox tried hard, deserves another game. Hayward I can understand (despite me being a huge Hayward fan)

Aliir probably needs a run in the NEAFL first- can't have underdone players in the side.

Newman for Rohan
Reid for Hayward/Fox (I'd probably drop Hayward).

I'm only saying what I think the club will do - I personally would like to see Fox stay in the side and Rohan dropped as well. Towers has been playing good footy but I think he might miss out if the club decides to use an extra tall in Melican and then push AA in to the ruck role when Sinclair is resting.

Melican IMO needs a run in the two's. He has been dreadful both games this year.

I'm only saying what I think the club will do - I personally would like to see Fox stay in the side and Rohan dropped as well. Towers has been playing good footy but I think he might miss out if the club decides to use an extra tall in Melican and then push AA in to the ruck role when Sinclair is resting.

Melican IMO needs a run in the two's. He has been dreadful both games this year.

We need Towers as the 2nd ruck regardless don’t like the being an underdone AA and force him to ruck some of the game. Sinclair can’t play all game in the ruck. If Melican goes, Marsh should come in. Rather not make that change. Thought he was okay round 1, wasn’t the only player who was poor last week- Rampe was even worse!

Rohan should be the first bloke dropped but won’t because Horse has his favourites

I was surprised Fox was left out last week. I'd be staggered if he was left out this week.

I don't think he's gold pass material yet but he's hard, tough, reliable, and uncompromising.

EDIT: I see Adam Curley has Fox listed as "under the pump". Honestly, if any of you kids are looking for a career where you could make a difference to quality, try sports journalism. The absence of insight from top to bottom is astounding for a game so saturated with coverage. Fox had a team high 10 1%ers.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's funny how during trade period there was a flood of urgency to bring in players with speed. Now 2 weeks in and I'm reading rants demanding Rohan, Hayward, Fox all out...

Do we drop Rampe this week after his stinker on Sunday? Or is there more to winning a footy game than simply the numbers on the back of the jumpers? Literally one bad game littered with skill errors and all of a sudden we need wholesale changes..

That's not to say that a change or two won't be made - we expect guys like Reid & Jones to be back in contention this week. Simply highlighting that we have some crazy hot takes floating about.. the number of possessions your players get does not equate to the number of footy games you win.

I think we'd love Reid back as it'd give us another marking target around the ground. Who goes out? If we're not going to play Rohan permanently up front then we should probably only play one of him and Hayward. Statistically, Rohan is the better player but he was poor last week. Hayward was no better, but his round 1 game was solid. Probably comes down to whether Hayward can play the pressure role or not.

It's funny how during trade period there was a flood of urgency to bring in players with speed. Now 2 weeks in and I'm reading rants demanding Rohan, Hayward, Fox all out...

Do we drop Rampe this week after his stinker on Sunday? Or is there more to winning a footy game than simply the numbers on the back of the jumpers? Literally one bad game littered with skill errors and all of a sudden we need wholesale changes..

That's not to say that a change or two won't be made - we expect guys like Reid & Jones to be back in contention this week. Simply highlighting that we have some crazy hot takes floating about.. the number of possessions your players get does not equate to the number of footy games you win.

I think we'd love Reid back as it'd give us another marking target around the ground. Who goes out? If we're not going to play Rohan permanently up front then we should probably only play one of him and Hayward. Statistically, Rohan is the better player but he was poor last week. Hayward was no better, but his round 1 game was solid. Probably comes down to whether Hayward can play the pressure role or not.

If you have speed you still have to get the pill though! We are not in an athletics carnival. Not sure I've said replace Fox though. He deserves a long run. Hayward I personally would play but I'd understand if they didn't. Jones probably comes in but I'd be hesitant if its a soft tissue issue.

The side selected was just glittered with wrong calls. Why was Rohan back when Newman played pretty well the week before and we won? Why was Fox originally dropped after performing? Horse seems to have plan A and that's it.

Rampe has done something, Rohan, Fox and Haywood with 0 credits in the bank

Rampe has done something, Rohan, Fox and Haywood with 0 credits in the bank

Again, I think Fox was quite good.

I don't know the answer with Rohan. His best is extraordinary but we just see it so rarely. But he does create panic in opposition defences and when switched back his presence causes opposition distributors to second guess. He does have value even with low possession numbers.

Hayward looks "nearly there". I can see him getting close to that point when he goes for his marks in a whole hearted fashion and when he does, he will be universally loved. I don't really see him as the defensive forward.

If you have speed you still have to get the pill though! We are not in an athletics carnival. Not sure I've said replace Fox though. He deserves a long run. Hayward I personally would play but I'd understand if they didn't. Jones probably comes in but I'd be hesitant if its a soft tissue issue.

The side selected was just glittered with wrong calls. Why was Rohan back when Newman played pretty well the week before and we won? Why was Fox originally dropped after performing? Horse seems to have plan A and that's it.
Tactically Horse has only ever had a plan A, but not sure that relates to team selections. That would make more sense if they hadn't made any changes from round 1 to 2, but they did..

Rohan was back because he's been an important cog in our side and contributed to many wins last year. I don't understand your dislike of him when at the same time you rate Hayward - Rohan wins nearly every stat between the two. Don't get me wrong, he didn't play well on Sunday, but if you remove possession stats and just go back to actually watching the footy - he's an important player. He's our quickest player but also has the height and build to play as a genuine forward. Pressure plays are vital to our game plan and yet so many people disregard them because there is no clean stat to prove player X just sprinted 35m to corral the ball or block a space and slow the opposition attack.

Again, I think Fox was quite good.

I don't know the answer with Rohan. His best is extraordinary but we just see it so rarely. But he does create panic in opposition defences and when switched back his presence causes opposition distributors to second guess. He does have value even with low possession numbers.

Hayward looks "nearly there". I can see him getting close to that point when he goes for his marks in a whole hearted fashion and when he does, he will be universally loved. I don't really see him as the defensive forward.
completely agree with what you are saying here. Was just pointing out the credits in banks situation...

Reid for Rohan is the only change i'd be considering
I think that's a likely change if Reid is deemed fit. Likely Rohan/Hayward out but Hayward's first game was reasonable.

Jones will probably come straight back in if fit too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back