Unofficial Preview Round 3 2018 Early Thoughts - Sydney v GWS @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think he'll play, he doesn't need to be 100% fit to impact the scoreboard, he might play closer to goal.

Last week.

FLOOOOOOOORENT!!!!!

iu

This week

HAAAYYYWAAARRRRD

iu

Tactically Horse has only ever had a plan A, but not sure that relates to team selections. That would make more sense if they hadn't made any changes from round 1 to 2, but they did..

Rohan was back because he's been an important cog in our side and contributed to many wins last year. I don't understand your dislike of him when at the same time you rate Hayward - Rohan wins nearly every stat between the two. Don't get me wrong, he didn't play well on Sunday, but if you remove possession stats and just go back to actually watching the footy - he's an important player. He's our quickest player but also has the height and build to play as a genuine forward. Pressure plays are vital to our game plan and yet so many people disregard them because there is no clean stat to prove player X just sprinted 35m to corral the ball or block a space and slow the opposition attack.

The changes were completely wrong. The only one that should have come in is Hanners, that's it. The others should have been nowhere near the side last week.

My dislike of Rohan is simple- he does nothing 75% of the game, and it's not as if he's a first year player. That excuse is long gone. We have to stop playing a player just because they chase hard. I'd expect that of EVERY player, it isn't a reason to select Rohan. I like Hayward, but I've said I'd understand Hayward being dropped this week. I'm always very realistic even when players I like play poorly and whilst Hayward wasn't the worst, he wasn't great last week.

I think that's a likely change if Reid is deemed fit. Likely Rohan/Hayward out but Hayward's first game was reasonable.

Jones will probably come straight back in if fit too.
Swans need some height both back and down forward. Especially against the giants.
Reid is the swingman (so is Rohan). However Reid is a better pack mark in forward fifty.

Swans need some height both back and down forward. Especially against the giants.
Reid is the swingman (so is Rohan). However Reid is a better pack mark in forward fifty.

If Reid isn't available, why not pick McCartin! Showed decent enough signs in the pre season.

Can Cameron and Kelly join him? Those two tear us a new one every game!

They have good players in every position, you can't focus on individuals too much, but we can win if we play as a team.

They have good players in every position, you can't focus on individuals too much, but we can win if we play as a team.

Depends if the ground is wet! Never seen a team so bad in the wet than our side...and you'd think they would be good at it!

If Reid isn't available, why not pick McCartin! Showed decent enough signs in the pre season.
I'd pick him vs a second tier side ...on a big ground.
He has a great tank and needs confidence.

This game vs GWS will be scrappy. Cause thats how the swans will want it.
GWS have lost their best two way runner and one of their new defensive forwards. Swans will want to play an intense game with multiple re entries. Forcing the reluctant mids of GWS to defend a bit....we also want to bounce the pill out of defensive fifty with much greater aplomb.

The skill errors and kicking on the weekend past were so hideously bad I felt I was watching AFLW.

Fix those up and we'll go someways to winning the game.

Perfect footy weather and low humidity this weekend .

Lets hope they can kick the ball 20m without turning it over then!

Thank goodness this is a night game! I can go to Randwick, have a few bets and then off to the SCG!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The changes were completely wrong. The only one that should have come in is Hanners, that's it. The others should have been nowhere near the side last week.

My dislike of Rohan is simple- he does nothing 75% of the game, and it's not as if he's a first year player. That excuse is long gone. We have to stop playing a player just because they chase hard. I'd expect that of EVERY player, it isn't a reason to select Rohan. I like Hayward, but I've said I'd understand Hayward being dropped this week. I'm always very realistic even when players I like play poorly and whilst Hayward wasn't the worst, he wasn't great last week.
Dislike Rohan, like Hayward. They're basically the same player except Rohan wins nearly every stat.

Dislike Rohan, like Hayward. They're basically the same player except Rohan wins nearly every stat.

Except one is a 2nd year player and Rohan is what in his (8) season! I like what Hayward brings to the side, but as I said I wouldn't necessarily play Hayward this week he was poor last week.

I'm just over Rohan, enough is enough, he's experienced enough to contribute more.

Increasingly I am of the view that this was just a failure across the board. The defenders failed, forwards failed and midfielders failed. We just got beaten for hardness at the ball, and for delivery elsewhere

I have repeatedly said the same thing - our half forwards in the way we play the game have the worst job. If the ball is hacked forwards they have been dragged to the stoppage and have to run back to half forward to try to crumb. We never looked like we could move the ball other than for a few minutes early in the game.

I'd be inclined to only make changes to the side if they are generally coming in to be the original best 22. I dont think you can hang out any individual for last week's performance.

if we think reid is best 22 we bring him in and the same with jones and we take out the 2 who aren't.

We give that side its best chance and roll the dice.

Except one is a 2nd year player and Rohan is what in his (8) season! I like what Hayward brings to the side, but as I said I wouldn't necessarily play Hayward this week he was poor last week.

I'm just over Rohan, enough is enough, he's experienced enough to contribute more.
Fair enough. I'd prefer we pick the side we feel is best 22 for each week, rather than worrying about how long each player has been around.

I get the frustration with Rohan as it's always felt like he could be something special and he's never quite lifted his game to a higher level. But that doesn't mean we should discard him in favour of players who are (currently) inferior.

How’s your AFL career going?

I am not convinced it's really a selection issue. It's psychological across the board. We can't expect to fumble our way through a game and come out on top. Every fumble creates pressure on us and a loss of an attacking opportunity.

I know it's early in the season, but ffs it looked like we were playing in torrential rain.

Exactly the fumbles cost us.

I get some people don't think Longmire is up to the job and fine that is their opinion. But every single loss it is always Longmire's fault. Not saying he is the greatest coach ever and yes sometimes he deserves criticism no doubt but what happened on Sunday was on the players. How the coach can be blamed for the players fumbling is beyond me. And then people argue, "Oh it was the team he selected" which makes no sense. The better players were fumbling all over the place - most of the team were fumbling so who exactly was he meant to select.

lol.. rioli average :rolleyes:

I think he is average. Yes he does a lot of flashy things and his defensive efforts are good, but it should be the bare minimum that he does those things considering he is never at the bottom of the pack winning the hard balls and is more often than not waiting on the outside with no man on him. That is why Gary is so frustrating. Because he essentially has the easiest job in the team and he still fails. At least Rioli succeeds in doing that role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back