Unofficial Preview Round 3 2018 Early Thoughts - Sydney v GWS @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is with all the Fox and Hayward out talk? I mean yeah they're the likely candidates because of Horse's runs on the board policy, but IMO I would keep them both. If we're going to have passengers, I'd rather them be kids like Florent and Hayward and Fox, who we can at least throw experience into and help them develop. Rather than Rohan and fossils like McVeigh and Sinclair (who acts like a big, old, dumb potato) who are liabilities that we have nothing to gain from in terms of playing. Their ceilings have been reached.

At least guys like Towers and Cunningham, both of who I have never been a fan of, continue to show little signs that they *could* get better and they are improving.

I worry that we will overreact to each loss and make mass changes.

We have got gws, adelaide and geelong coming up. None of them are easy games.

We've only lost one game, I don't think we're in crisis mode yet lol

But it wouldn't be an over-reaction if say Rohan was dropped. He shouldn't have been selected in the first place.

We've only lost one game, I don't think we're in crisis mode yet lol

But it wouldn't be an over-reaction if say Rohan was dropped. He shouldn't have been selected in the first place.
Yeah i'd happily drop Rohan for Aliir Aliir
He's this young guy, hasn't played much senior footy .

Has some upsides

I think he is average. Yes he does a lot of flashy things and his defensive efforts are good, but it should be the bare minimum that he does those things considering he is never at the bottom of the pack winning the hard balls and is more often than not waiting on the outside with no man on him. That is why Gary is so frustrating. Because he essentially has the easiest job in the team and he still fails. At least Rioli succeeds in doing that role.

Well I find that a shallow reading.
No man on him.. wtf

Never mind that he is at the bottom of the pack sometimes, you must've missed mondays game..

I worry that we will overreact to each loss and make mass changes.

We have got gws, adelaide and geelong coming up. None of them are easy games.

Longmire might shuffle some deck chairs but he wont make wholesale changes

Yeah I agree. Great story and all, and having been to Africa I've seen first hand the positive impact somebody like Aliir can have. But it feels a bit silly when he's not playing. "I'm Aliir Aliir, and I play for the Sydney Swans (when my coach comes around)"
That's a bit colonial. Africa isn't a country. It's more than 50 countries with different civilisations, ancestry, languages, culture, geography, wealth and forms of government. There's a huge difference between countries and peoples even in sub-Saharan Africa and again between places like Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt and even Ethiopia compared to North/South Sudan and Somalia. Which country have you been to where you think Aliir would be a positive influence ? I've travelled pretty extensively in North, Central, Eastern and Southern Africa and I can't think of many who would be inspired by Aliir. Of course, for many refugees in war torn areas the fact that his family got to Australia and escaped the conflict is the inspiration. They wouldn't care about him playing footy.

The AFL video is to make Australians feel good about ourselves. "Aren't we nice to save some poor savage from Africa and give him a chance to pay footy". Never mind that we lock up refugee children in detention camps.

Longmire might shuffle some deck chairs but he wont make wholesale changes
Given our reputation for bouncing back after a shocker why would he ? Remember our defence especially Grundy and Ted having a terrible game (with others) a couple of years back. All said they were gone, cooked, past it. The next week they bounced back like a super-ball dropped from a Chinese space station.

I don't think Rohan is quite right to go but it's harsh to drop after one bad game at the start of his season. How many balls just didn't get to him because they were shanked to the opposition ? Bad play brings other players down with it. It's a cascading effect. That said I'd be happy to see Stoddart or Aliir have a run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back