Review Round 3, 2018 - Port Adelaide vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Such a great team performance really, but you have to single Stef out. That was a monstrously big performance.
He was easily BOG, gassed at half time but played it out.
He did cost us 4 goals through horrendous turnovers, if if wasn' for those it would'e been about the best individual game of footy I've ever seen.

I think it might be once again it took him some time to work into the match though. For whatever reason he's been absent or making mistakes in the first half then remembering who he is in the second.

Seems to have pulled back on those miracle kicks. Hopefully he can build up his confidence and start hitting them again.

Interesting we've been sharing around the kick in duties a lot more this year. Maybe this was Hodges idea .

I wouldn’t be proud. I’d want to win. As a supporter I’m allowed to feel that way. I acknowledge the improvement and it’s a great effort. That’s undeniable. But pride? I don’t take pride in a loss. In any sport.

*disclaimer - I have not read past this post as yet so the below may already have been covered*
Do you perchance have children or any involvement in education or training? There are points of pride in the first faltering steps and the first fumbling notes or the hesitant first stance in front of an audience ... blasting a child because he is not as good a batsman as the Australian opener (or even the Australian Opener for not being Don Bradman for that matter) is counter productive and utterly unhelpful to the individual in question.

You can be proud of where you are compared to where you have been while still aching for a goal as yet unmet - taking pride in the journey is part of what makes progress possible.

Of course each plateau they reach becomes the new benchmark by which we judge their performance going forward and we include Berry and McCluggage's progress as well as Berwick's lack thereof as part and parcel of how we view someone (eg what people would consider a 'bad game' from Dusty or Buddy would be a breakout game from many others)

Seems to have pulled back on those miracle kicks. Hopefully he can build up his confidence and start hitting them again.

Interesting we've been sharing around the kick in duties a lot more this year. Maybe this was Hodges idea .

Possibly. Interesting you say he's pulled back on those miracle kicks because it many of our running plays in the second half from the first two weeks they came to fruition because he went for them and made it. Can't say I'm worried though. Hodge probably an influence as you suggested and just balancing the safe and the attacking roles he can perform with his kicking. Would explain some of the indecisive kicks that ended up being nothing.

You know the boys did well when Jackess is being positive in the post game.

The effort the boys are bringing each week is fantastic. Great start to the season, clear improvement week to week. I reckon we’ll give the tigers a run for their money next week!

Possibly. Interesting you say he's pulled back on those miracle kicks because it many of our running plays in the second half from the first two weeks they came to fruition because he went for them and made it. Can't say I'm worried though. Hodge probably an influence as you suggested and just balancing the safe and the attacking roles he can perform with his kicking. Would explain some of the indecisive kicks that ended up being nothing.

Witho was awesome today. 20 disp at 90% DE and 300+ meters gained. Looked very composed and applied decent pressure.

Still going for low percentage options but not the crazy kicks. He took a kick in and kicked it to dizzy right on the boundary which was a tough kick but there was a tougher one down the guts.

Backline was brilliant in the second half.

Witho was awesome today. 20 disp at 90% DE and 300+ meters gained. Looked very composed and applied decent pressure.

Oh no doubt, I just felt that once again he started slow. Can't say I noticed him much at all in the first quarter and a half.

I think the only negative is Sam Mayes, once again pretty poor. I think Allison takes his spot next week, or a straight swap for D.Beams.

Hasn't been good this year but I think he's earned the tickets to stay a bit longer tbh. Not much longer if the form persists but I'd probably just swap Bewick for Beams tbh.

Ok so now the game!

So much to love - so much to look forward to - so much to be frustrated about.

A few thinks that I did very much enjoy ...
- kicking into the forward 50 to the advantage of our forwards!!!!!@
- deliberate and swift movement of the ball
- winning clearances
- a significant improvement in team cohesion and belief

I would like to see better goal kicking, tackles that stick and, of course, actual wins but they will come if the rest is done right.

Learning how not to lose is one thing - learning how to win is another.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is keeping his direct opponent and former all Australian Wingard to one goal a bad game!?

Yeah, that's a fair point and one that easily goes out of mind. Watching on tv there were a lot of contests where he was shaky or immediately put his teammates under more pressure imo but the role and that impact can't be ignored.

Steph Martin: What a machine!!! Gotta be leading our B&F by miles even though its only 3 games in.
Charlie Cameron: Really good early & provided the start we needed to continue to threaten all quarters.
Hippy: Like last week, his effort was awesome. 3 goals this time so some of his knockers might shut their pie holes this week.
Hodge: The general who has done so much down back so far. Love the difference he makes down back.
Andrews: Great effort again. Tired of people expecting too much of him & Hippy but the bookends were good today.
Zorko: Great effort and slowly shaking his tag role to become potent for us again. Watch him gain momentum through the next few games.

Heart breaking loss in the end. Never though I would be saying that when Beams was a late out. I thought we would have a big advantage in the ruck and so it was. Stef absolutely destroyed them in the ruck and around the ground.

Gardiner was huge down back. Saved us many times. McCluggage has put together a couple nice games and glad he kicked a couple goals today that will do his confidence a world of good. Same goes for Hippy. He and Walker were excellent today .They just need to make a contest - crash a pack - take the odd mark and we will be a five goal better for it. Zorks worked hard under another tag. Cutler missed two shots at goals and then kicked the impossible, was good overall but needs to go harder in the 50/50 contest. Bewick should have kicked two goals. That sums his career up, works hard then can't finish.

Lester should have been paid a free kick right at the end, but was no cert to kick it.

Cameron is a jet and you can see how much Christensen loves having him out there.

More performances like that and the wins will come and the confidence in the playing group will build. No doubt Hodge will be telling the boys don't waste that effort - make that the effort required every week.

Really enjoying the Hodge effect. Massive benefits as a general down back but he's still a very good footballer. He's old but his use of his body is elite and hopefully something our youngsters can learn. The last quarter our defence held up the best I have seen for years. Didn't look like Port were going to score against us at all IIR. The zone is working well.

How is keeping his direct opponent and former all Australian Wingard to one goal a bad game!?
I seem to remember a few different guys running with wingard. I noticed Cedric Cox on him the most but maybe I’m wrong.

I still think he’s a liability down back and after 3 pretty poor performances there’s some others who should get a run.

Just for some more lols- Hinkley also said we'd be proud of our effort

Also said the boys would be filthy because they’re a competitive group and came to win. He knows the group better than we do and I trust his jusdgement. I just didn’t take pride in another loss.

I seem to remember a few different guys running with wingard. I noticed Cedric Cox on him the most but maybe I’m wrong.

I still think he’s a liability down back and after 3 pretty poor performances there’s some others who should get a run.
Yeah it's rare to have one on one defence these days so certainly a strange post. Hasn't been like that in years...
Anyways, I think Mayes might be saved since others had worse games.

Back