Review Round 3, 2018 - Port Adelaide vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Charlie Cameron will win our BnF this year, always thought Pick 12 was well and truly worth it.
THIS!!! I live in adelaide (poor me) and have to deal with dipshits trying to tell me how dumb we are for giving up pick 12

Even though we ended up with pick 15 from Richmond anyway (Zac bailey?)

Annnnndddd Charlie’s looking AA. Easily his quietest game today...still kicks another 3 sausage rolls and is currently 3rd in the Coleman haha

After seeing that performance I’m excited for Beams to come back because for once I feel like a player will be adding to our good play rather than just cleaning up our poor play. I don’t have much of an idea on who to drop because everyone’s performance was very satisfying.

Was at the game today, closest thing to a win I've seen live since Mark Harvey was coach.

The encouraging thing from being so close to winning is there is a lot they need to work on, it' not like that' as good as we can play & we still can't win.

Defending at times was poor, I got the feeling they are sometimes too worried about where they'e supposed to be standing than just watching the ball. That should go with more experience.

Our ball use after earning the turnover wasn't
As good as port, they got a few walk in goals where we didn't, they were on offer, but usually just 1 bad decision or one poor disposal stuffs it all up.

We were also very fumbly today, mostly in patches. Often 1 bad handball brings the pressure & leads to a chain of poor disposals. In the start of the third I reckon ports first 3-4 goals all came through turnovers under no pressure, often we had numbers & still turned it over. Then the whole momentum changed, though our poor play then they started to play well & took us a while to wrestle momentum back.

Still lots to like about the start to this year, really need to put a win on the board soon to keep building confidence.

Other observations;
Rayner looked like a mini Jonathan Brown today
Couple of deliberate OOB calls we got screwed on
Berry & Mcluggage have improved out of sight from last year
There was about 35,000 port supporters shitting themselves in that last few minutes, was a fair mass exhale when the siren went

Great game, I was expecting a flogging. Thought our tackling was very ordinary. Great progress so far, hopefully we give the same to the Tigers

Fairfax’s match report says Brad Hodge was one of our best players.

Wonder how he will go on a bouncy Gabba wicket in two weeks.

Best on ground and then dropped and never plays again

A lot more positives than negatives today. Gallant effort - no chocolates but we did get to lick the wrappers. Martin lead like a true senior player - woo who. Consistency of effort through week to week is the key now. Improvement and the wins come with that.
Build build build.

Great game, I was expecting a flogging. Thought our tackling was very ordinary. Great progress so far, hopefully we give the same to the Tigers
We made 60 tackles, someone was working overtime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We made 60 tackles, someone was working overtime.

Although we’d bested them there were situations where Gray and Bonner just ran past our players like cones. We put in the effort but like the game we all want to eventually win the contest/tackles.

It was great to see us continue our strength in clearances and contested footy. We all know it was the off season focus, but it's really paid off.

I was very worried we'd fall apart when pret got on top in the third. Our persistence was impressive. It was also bloody exciting to see the talent on display in that second when confidence was high.

Our forward setup generally looked better today, when the likes of Cameron and Hipwood were given space it was effective. With Beams to come in, it'll be interesting to see how we use McStay because we certainly didn't look too short.

It was great to see us continue our strength in clearances and contested footy. We all know it was the off season focus, but it's really paid off.

I was very worried we'd fall apart when pret got on top in the third. Our persistence was impressive. It was also bloody exciting to see the talent on display in that second when confidence was high.

Our forward setup generally looked better today, when the likes of Cameron and Hipwood were given space it was effective. With Beams to come in, it'll be interesting to see how we use McStay because we certainly didn't look too short.

Against Richmond we won't need a tall backline.

Good luck for the future, you have some promising youngsters.
I miss our hard fought stoushes from the early 2000's.
Even though he is much maligned in some quarters, I love that Crazy Vossy is a coach at our club and always loved watching him play, especially against Collingwood in those epic GFs.

I seem to remember a few different guys running with wingard. I noticed Cedric Cox on him the most but maybe I’m wrong.

I still think he’s a liability down back and after 3 pretty poor performances there’s some others who should get a run.

The dropped mark at the end of the qtr leading to the goal is somewhat frustrating considering we lost by 5

Hope Cutler keeps his spot. Only one with the balls other than Hodge to kick dangerously through the middle. Sometimes it works most of the time it doesn't, but risks are what we need.

His kick to Hipwood in the last was a ripper

Back