VFL Round 3, 2018: Sandringham v Port Melbourne 2pm

Remove this Banner Ad

How are Connellan and Joyce doing?

It’d be great to finally get something out of our Irish experiments like the Lions, Paperbaggers, and Injectors have...
Joyce: serviceable but does not warrant promotion.
Connellan: didn’t realise he was out there till the second.
Ray has played better games.

It was a pretty scrappy game. Tom Lamb was our best I'd say, just provided a really good focal point and kicked the ball beautifully for goal.

Armo was in amazing form in the third quarter but then went to full forward at one stage and then off to have work done on his legs. He came back on for a bit but then limped off looking like he could hardly walk. He was walking around again after that but it just didn't look good and I fear his body is quite a way off what is needed for him to get back into the 1s. Considering that he was off for a bout 1.5 quarters, the fact that he got 32 touches shows how dominant he was before then and probably a big part of Sandringham losing that he was forced off.

Phillips was pretty good I thought, got a fair bit of it. I liked the look of Paton too and imagine he must have had more than 20 possessions.

I thought Bailey Rice was excellent (some seem to be criticising him but don't understand it). He is a good kick and mark and looks like he could potentially fit in at AFL level.

Of the backs, Clavarino was ok although he really tired in the last quarter, Joyce was solid, Austin had a good battle with the Port full forward who is very good and proabably lowered his colours, some good spoils though, Goddard was similar made some good spoils and is a big guy but doesn't look ready for the next level at this stage.

Lonie was very quiet and I fear may have really dropped his confidence being put in for one game and then dropped.

Battle was excellent in the first quarter but very quiet after that. Still looked good when he was able to be isolated and took a few marks but on today's form I wouldn't be bringing him in just yet.

Longer dominated the hit outs but offered zero around the ground which is pretty amazing considering it's a step down from AFL level. He needs to lead more around the ground and create space, I think he took maybe one mark (I could definitely be wrong though).

All in all, there are promising signs from young guys but no one really jumped out and demanded selection for next week.

Apparently Lewie Pierce managed 13 touches, 2 goals, 34 hitouts against Braydon Preuss's 14 touches, 1 goal, 46 hitouts yesterday as well, so keeping up some encouraging form.
Great news. Being able to be first ruck would be huge for his development.

Good to know there’s another option there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a pretty scrappy game. Tom Lamb was our best I'd say, just provided a really good focal point and kicked the ball beautifully for goal.

Armo was in amazing form in the third quarter but then went to full forward at one stage and then off to have work done on his legs. He came back on for a bit but then limped off looking like he could hardly walk. He was walking around again after that but it just didn't look good and I fear his body is quite a way off what is needed for him to get back into the 1s. Considering that he was off for a bout 1.5 quarters, the fact that he got 32 touches shows how dominant he was before then and probably a big part of Sandringham losing that he was forced off.

Phillips was pretty good I thought, got a fair bit of it. I liked the look of Paton too and imagine he must have had more than 20 possessions.

I thought Bailey Rice was excellent (some seem to be criticising him but don't understand it). He is a good kick and mark and looks like he could potentially fit in at AFL level.

Of the backs, Clavarino was ok although he really tired in the last quarter, Joyce was solid, Austin had a good battle with the Port full forward who is very good and proabably lowered his colours, some good spoils though, Goddard was similar made some good spoils and is a big guy but doesn't look ready for the next level at this stage.

Lonie was very quiet and I fear may have really dropped his confidence being put in for one game and then dropped.

Battle was excellent in the first quarter but very quiet after that. Still looked good when he was able to be isolated and took a few marks but on today's form I wouldn't be bringing him in just yet.

Longer dominated the hit outs but offered zero around the ground which is pretty amazing considering it's a step down from AFL level. He needs to lead more around the ground and create space, I think he took maybe one mark (I could definitely be wrong though).

All in all, there are promising signs from young guys but no one really jumped out and demanded selection for next week.
Yep, a much better critique than I could manage.
Unless it is a critique of Burrp’s Vindaloo or the height of Blake’s dog.
Seriously:
Both sides were playing with a full press.
Consequently, we found that very difficult to penetrate. Hence the inaccurate kicking.
Conversely, Port were much better at exiting the press and keeping an open forward half.
One thing I’d not previously noticed: we are quite a small/thin team.
Paton, Langlands are not giants.
Sziller and Bailey wouldn’t get wet running around in the shower.
Port on the other hand had more mature bodies.
Agree about both Lonie and Longer.
Armo had a great third.
The rest were serviceable.
No one earned promotion.

One other thing not wanting to sound harsh but Ray Connellan is not up to the standard and was something of a liability out there today.

This is disappointing. Looked genuinely exciting against Geelong last year. We just haven't had much luck with international rookies. Although their success rate must be pretty low throughout the league.

Did Joyce back up last week? I thought Conellan was a more likely chance of making it.

This is disappointing. Looked genuinely exciting against Geelong last year. We just haven't had much luck with international rookies. Although their success rate must be pretty low throughout the league.

Did Joyce back up last week? I thought Conellan was a more likely chance of making it.
Joyce was definitely serviceable. Sandy play with a host of tallish backs in Goddard, Joyce, Clavarino and Austin. I think it maybe stops there ability to run from that area of the ground. But Joyce did his job well enough today and got his hands on it a few times, helped the defence negotiate some tricky situations.

Connellan really looked lost out there and couldn't get into the game at all. On a few occasions he didn't get into a position to punch when he should have and he also spilt a few easy marks. Then at the very end of the game he found himself free and took a mark 10 metres out, should have goaled to close the margin to 2 points but somehow the ball was touched off the boot of his kick. He can certainly kick the ball a long way and is a great size but just doesn't seem comfortable with the game at this stage.

Sounds like the guy who rucked against Longer was on our list but we dropped him(Kiwi) , he kicked 2 goals on Longer in the first quarter and was taking marks around the ground , Longer won the ruck but couldn't control the guy around the ground by the sounds of it.

Yep, a much better critique than I could manage.
Unless it is a critique of Burrp’s Vindaloo or the height of Blake’s dog.
Seriously:
Both sides were playing with a full press.
Consequently, we found that very difficult to penetrate. Hence the inaccurate kicking.
Conversely, Port were much better at exiting the press and keeping an open forward half.
One thing I’d not previously noticed: we are quite a small/thin team.
Paton, Langlands are not giants.
Sziller and Bailey wouldn’t get wet running around in the shower.
Port on the other hand had more mature bodies.
Agree about both Lonie and Longer.
Armo had a great third.
The rest were serviceable.
No one earned promotion.
thks for the info

Remove this Banner Ad

Back