Review Round 3, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Port Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The more highlights I see of Hipwood's game, the more impressive I find it. In his two contested grabs that lead to goals, he used his body really well and timed the bump on his opponent to perfection. He also had sticky hands and kicked as straight as I can ever remember. Oh, and did yas see the lead, mark and bullet pass to Daniel McStay in the pocket. One of the best games of his career in reflection.

Match Review Panel

Ttwo fines were handed out following a spiteful clash between Brisbane and Port Adelaide at the Gabba on Saturday night.

Scott Lycett copped a $2000 fine for his high bump on Mitch Robinson

Zak Butters was also lucky to escape with only a monetary sanction for his clumsy collision with Hugh McCluggage. Butters left the ground before electing to bump McCluggage, but walked away with just a $2000 fine after the incident was graded careless conduct, with low impact to the head.

McCluggage himself was let off without penalty after an unfortunate incident that left Port Adelaide midfielder Tom Rockliff with a concussion.

Butters extremely lucky not to cop a suspension. Left the ground, elected to bump, hip to the head, and was extremely late - never in the marking contest. The only reason there was no suspension - Hugh wasn't injured/concussed, and was able to play on.

Does anyone else think it seems odd to be deciding suspensions based on the injuries sustained rather than the actions/intent of the offender?

Butters extremely lucky not to cop a suspension. Left the ground, elected to bump, hip to the head, and was extremely late - never in the marking contest. The only reason there was no suspension - Hugh wasn't injured/concussed, and was able to play on.

Does anyone else think it seems odd to be deciding suspensions based on the injuries sustained rather than the actions/intent of the offender?

I actually thought Butters did quite well avoiding a messier collision. It looked as though he realised the danger he was in and did everything he could to pull away to prevent any damage - so I don't mind that decision.

I actually thought Butters did quite well avoiding a messier collision. It looked as though he realised the danger he was in and did everything he could to pull away to prevent any damage - so I don't mind that decision.

Rarely do I comment on other posts, but this is utter crap.

In the vernacular, he "made him earn it". In the light of other stuff involving the lightest of shoves or whatever, this is lunatic treatment.

Rarely do I comment on other posts, but this is utter crap.

In the vernacular, he "made him earn it". In the light of other stuff involving the lightest of shoves or whatever, this is lunatic treatment.

I was just comparing it to the Cameron/Andrews clash from last season, where Cameron had the ability to change his movement to avoid the collision but didn't. On this occasion, while I certainly think Butters went hard at the ball, I did think from what I saw that he quite clearly made an obvious movement to avoid the worst of an impact.

I think the way he attacked the contest from the outset in general was, as you say, making Hugh "earn it", but I thought at the last minute he made a decision to change his course that saved Hugh a much worse hit.

Went with Neale, Robinson, Walker, Rich & Hipwood. With Hugh, Witho & Linc next best.
I thought we had a few well below there best (Cameron, Rayner & Bailey in particular) and Matho who really struggled at stoppages.
I would hate to make any changes, even though someone like Cutler or Cox would really be ideal for the MCG. The bombers do have a lot of outside runners and because of that I would assume that Bailey gets a run and that one of Cutler or Cox (or even Taylor) might get picked.
Really happy with the way we're playing even when things aren't going out way.

On another note, I really thought our ruck duo did very well vs Ports - in particular in the last qtr where both our boys starred, whereas theirs went missing.

You make an excellent point. You can't add up 4 misses for 4 points and then reason that if they were all kicked it would have made a 20 point difference to the final scoreline.

As a related matter, I've watched the replay and was disgusted with the Port bias in the commentary. I think Lynch was the worst.

Constant carping near the end of the second quarter about how poor old Port "deserved" to be in front....."mumble mumble.... missed shots on goal .... boo hoo .....how sad for them......amazingly the Lions won the quarter......how lucky are they?.....something......something"

Whatever happened to "bad kicking is bad football". It was a few years ago when I clearly remember us kicking ourselves out of a game against North at the Gabba.

There is also head shaking commentary (or non-commentary) about umpiring howlers that in quantity, definitely went against us.

Stef being pinged for a throw when it could have only been a total guess by the umpire. I've looked at it a number of times and I just can't see how the ump could have picked that one out. Stef himself, who I have never noticed whinging about decisions looked absolutely dumbfounded about it. Of, course, no comment from the callers.

Later, Port got two goals directly from what WERE blatant throws but Lynch and Co.were too busy drooling about what a genius Rozee is to even notice those two howlers.

Then when Hippy took that fearless Mark while Dan crashed into him, Lynch crapped on about McStay "not doing his teammate any favors there" called it "half a mark"......"probably only was awarded because he survived the collision....blah blah". If the idiots had even had a brief look at the replay, they would have noticed that Dan only crashed into Hippy because he tripped over two Port players who somehow both fell over in his path as he arrived at the contest.

Lynch calling it "half a mark" was again, lacking in any real analysis of what actually happened. The ball does fly loose but Hippy clearly controls it first.

Port did quite a bit of falling over during the match and got some handy frees out of it. At the 6.48 mark of the third quarter, Witho went in for a ground ball with two Port players trailing. Ebert keeps running at full pace and trips over him. Witherden gets there first in front of the two Port players who are running in the same direction as him. Free kick for "below the knees contact" What's Witherden supposed to do?
Squib the contest completely? "After you, Mr Ebert". The rule is a joke but again absolutely no critical analysis from the so called "TV experts"

Earlier in the quarter, there's that soft as butter 50 against Witho when Boak falls over after marking on the lead. Technically it's probably there but the light little push from Witho arguably doesn't materially affect Boak's forward momentum.You see that sort of thing let go as often as not but Lynch and Roos can't wait to agree with other that it's a "clear" 50

There is other stuff where both sides get bad calls but if you listen to the commentary, they only seem to pick up on the ones that they reckon are "unlucky" for Port.

I 'm not trying to turn this into an umpire bashing exercise. It's a hard game to officiate. They make mistakes but sometimes they make more that go against you than for you.

What I can't cop is "experts" selectively endorsing or criticising decisions for one side and totally ignoring what 's going (or not going) the other way.

I thought Lynch was particularly disappointing in this regard.

Maybe it's overcompensation as an ex-Lions player but whatever it is, it's bloody annoying.
I generally have the sound low but was watching it with family so had to put up with the commentary.

Quite frankly I was staggered at Lynchy and particularly Roos digging it into us every opportunity they got . The Neale free was replayed ad infintum but the Port throws glossed over .

They were clearly barracking for Port , over emphasising our shortcomings ,constantly praising Port's good play , ignoring the ump howlers against us and highlighting everything that didn't go Port's way.

The guy who collected McCluggage was stone lucky McCluggage got straight up . They seemed to think it was okay . Similarly we never got to see replays of Lycett cleaning up Robbo.

The really puzzling thing for me is why ?? Roosey seems to really have it in for us . Anyone got any insights ???

Here's my theory.....

They are harder on us, because they love us, don't wish to be accused of any bias and want us to be BIG AND STRONG :D

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of Roos and Lynch....for me, they are LIONS FOREVER, unless they explicitly come out and state that they aren't, commentary be damned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other incident that annoyed me with Roos and Lynch’s commentating was at that critical moment in the game immediately after Lycett elbowed Robinson in the head and they were both carrying on that the downfield free to Hipwood should be reversed after Robinson’s response.

Here's my theory.....

They are harder on us, because they love us, don't wish to be accused of any bias and want us to be BIG AND STRONG :D

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of Roos and Lynch....for me, they are LIONS FOREVER, unless they explicitly come out and state that they aren't, commentary be damned.
Yeah sure.

I love those guys too and the way they played .

Everyone welcomes impartiality or fair criticism but just puzzled as to why they would be so over the top the other way

Yeah sure.

I love those guys too and the way they played .

Everyone welcomes impartiality or fair criticism but just puzzled as to why they would be so over the top the other way

I don't know - and I have to say, aside from giving me a reason to shout 'PUT YOUR PROPER JUMPER ON' to them both sometimes, I don't really mind.

I know, deep down, they are LIONS. And that's good enough for me :)

Pretty poor, gee your a hard judge.

Possessions doesn’t necessarily mean a poor game. They have there roles. Lyons and Matho in tight have been very good.

Lyons chip over the top to Charlie in the goal square was top shelf.

Onwards and upwards. We played not as we did earlier but still got the win. As TBD said if we played like we did against the Eagles all year we will be top 4 but we have to be realistic.

For me the best thing out of this win was Fages’s poster when he said “you know I thought we were real average tonight but got the win”

He is on to it and he will concentrate on the areas we need to improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lyon was quiet this week. Nothing wrong with his 2 earlier games. Matho has had a great 2 games and solid 3rd game. Are we watching the same team?
I think they've both used the ball poorly the last couple of weeks. Lyons was good week one but I wouldn't give him more than a pass mark since. Mathieson was probably in our bottom 5 players on the weekend. His TOG has dropped of again as well, down to 68% (our equal lowest with Bailey who was off injured in the last).

I think they've both used the ball poorly the last couple of weeks. Lyons was good week one but I wouldn't give him more than a pass mark since. Mathieson was probably in our bottom 5 players on the weekend. His TOG has dropped of again as well, down to 68% (our equal lowest with Bailey who was off injured in the last).
Lyons and Matho are starting to worry me a little . Both looked a bit slow.

But it's only a week or so . Still have credits in the bank.

I ended up watching the game on mute. Couldn't stand it any longer.

The only problem with that is that you miss the crowd involvement and atmosphere.

There should be some way you can mute out the mindless chatter of the "experts" but keep the background noise.

The only problem with that is that you miss the crowd involvement and atmosphere.

There should be some way you can mute out the mindless chatter of the "experts" but keep the background noise.

Fox did have this option a while back. No idea why they removed it.

Lyons and Matho are starting to worry me a little . Both looked a bit slow.

But it's only a week or so . Still have credits in the bank.

It is up to the draftees in the ressies to push them out of the way, so we become a genuine contender.

Back