Review Round 3, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Port Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I hesitate to make calls on peoples fitness based on body shape or fat. Who knows, maybe there's a reason that layer is there.

I would've thought it'd be evading the censors when you take a Port game. I'm not sure the viewing public would tune in for three hours of solid beeping.

Sausages commentating a Port game would be like listening to a truck reversing, eternally.

it's a wonder we've been able to win a game much less three, what with having to carry all these unfit slobs around the park each week.

Is it ok with you if I have an opinion?

As it happens, apparently the same opinion as Rocky. Who felt it appropriate to sledge Rayner re his shape.

No-one, certainly not me, is suggesting that we are "having to carry all these unfit slobs around the park". You just made this up.

I thought Lyons had an excellent game v WC, and has been ok since. Same with Rayner.

All I'm suggesting is that both the individuals I nominated are not exactly slim. And that both are elite players capable of a lot better.

Speaking of elite, I worry also that we are quite reliant on Neale. If he gets injured or heavily tagged as he was on Saturday we'll need to have others step up. Like the two mentioned.

The other thing I worry about with Neale is that while he seems very resilient he is by no means a bull with the solid frame able to take the heavy hits. Which oppositions will see to it he will.

Speaking of elite, I worry also that we are quite reliant on Neale. If he gets injured or heavily tagged as he was on Saturday we'll need to have others step up. Like the two mentioned.

That's a fair point - and if you compare Beams' output last year to Neale's, they are very similar.

Beams 2018 - average 29 disposals, 5.6 clearances
Neale 2018 - average 30 disposals, 7 clearances

Consider further that most media pundits suggested Neale was a good player, but now the thinking is that he's gone to another level. Whether that continues over the season remains to be seen of course.

So, your point is well-made and we need to be conscious as a team of how we are going to protect him when that occurs - but it's difficult to nullify a player like Neale unless you tag him. Zorko is still around of course, so we do have some firepower around him. And whilst he got some closer attention on the weekend, he still racked up close to 40 possessions and we won the game.

I look forward to teams coming up with inventive ways to stop him :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Almost like the old days. Who do you tag? Voss? Black? Aker?

I don’t have any doubt that everyone in the club would be confident in Rayner improving on his form. It’s only his second year, and he’s still had 5 scoring shots in his first game, 4 in the second and converted his only 2 opportunities on Saturday. With our new midfield I wouldn’t be worried about his form until he has 2-3 games with ~10 disposal and >1 goal.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is it ok with you if I have an opinion?

Opinion away

As long as you can cop me having one.

We all have opinions and they frequently differ. That's the beauty of this place

As it happens, apparently the same opinion as Rocky. Who felt it appropriate to sledge Rayner re his shape.

You're referencing Rocky's sledge to back up Your opinion? As a valid critique of Rayner's "shape"???

Pot kettle black I would think and I thought Rayner handled it very well. Gave Rocky a little pat in the tummy and with good humor. Noice!

All I'm suggesting is that both the individuals I nominated are not exactly slim. And that both are elite players capable of a lot better.

I thought part of the inclusiveness of our game is that it catered for all heights and body shapes. I wasn't aware that being "slim" was universally regarded as a prerequisite to being considered as elite

Plugger, Dipper and Stuart Dew say hi!

The other thing I worry about with Neale is that while he seems very resilient he is by no means a bull with the solid frame able to take the heavy hits. Which oppositions will see to it he will.

You worry too much.

Now you are worried because Neale is too small and skinny.;)

Last edited:
That's a fair point - and if you compare Beams' output last year to Neale's, they are very similar.

Beams 2018 - average 29 disposals, 5.6 clearances
Neale 2018 - average 30 disposals, 7 clearances

The devil's in the detail though - that same comparison shows Neale with more pressure (+1.2 tackles) and much more contested possessions (+3.7) and despite all that having a better DE too (+3.8%)!

Consider further that most media pundits suggested Neale was a good player, but now the thinking is that he's gone to another level. Whether that continues over the season remains to be seen of course.

I think that media analysis is a bit simplistic though, but not surprised. :D

I think the majority of the "improvement" is just the difference between Neale being a secondary option (behind Fyfe) to being the primary option. Back in 2016 when Fyfe missed almost all the season Neale averaged career highs in possessions, tackles and clearances being that primary option. I don't expect to Neale to average 38 possessions hereon out, but he's already averaged 33 possessions and 7 1/2 clearances a game while racking up 20 Brownlow votes in a single season.

I'm still scared of Roos from when I was a child.

That being said, no way could I keep my Lions bias in check if I commentated. I'd be worse than Eddie.

Worse then Eddie. I doubt it.

Coming at this from a different angle I cannot see why Eddie isn't professional enough to rule himself out of commentating Collingwood matches. I am a Eddie fan and wish he grew up barracking for Fitzroy and the only thing that he does that annoys me is his commentating on Collingwood games

Of course.

That's why I'm not a fan of the "never change a winning team" mantra.

Another player might do the role better and not even get as many "possessions"
I beg to respectfully differ, continuity helps players develop trust, instinctive connection and a shared memory of triumph and adversity. Institutional psychologists will tell you that high turnover of staff is a clear sign of trouble in a business and it’s the same in footy teams. We need to keep this team together as much as possible, barring injuries. They are winning games and developing great self belief. Usually winners are winners because they think like winners.

If a player is week in, week out an absolute shocker, then replace them, but give them a decent run to get it right. That show of faith and support also builds great team culture.

Last week both players could have been cleaner with the ball at times, not sure if it'd warrant them being dropped..
On TV it looked like the ball might have been a bit slippery. Both sides struggled a bit with ball handling and the pill seemed to skid a bit. Was it like that at the ground?

Clearly while we're winning underperforming players are more likely to be cut some slack, subject of course to team balance, other injuries etc. It'll be different when we start to lose.

On TV it looked like the ball might have been a bit slippery. Both sides struggled a bit with ball handling and the pill seemed to skid a bit. Was it like that at the ground?
Couldn't say, but I read Lyons DE was 40% & recall Matho missing a goal he should have slotted.

Couldn't say, but I read Lyons DE was 40% & recall Matho missing a goal he should have slotted.
Port struggled with their goal kicking too. It just looked on tv that the players struggled with their ball handling.

Back