Autopsy Round 3, 2019: Fremantle v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I can honestly say 100% I do not defend the club because I may have had some involvement with ex players. Matter of fact a certain player saw that I said he should be dropped and wasn’t happy. Tip. Never leave computer on when people are here. My defence is genuinely what I believe. I also believe people guess issues with players or coaches to back up their arguement. An example in your post. Richo never seems to challenge the midfield. Really. How would any of know that but if we did richo shouldn’t be challenging the midfield it should be the midfield coach. This is example of something’s I do know about because of a small involvement. The line coaches do so much more talking to their players than the head coach. He talks generally to the group not specifics.

If Richo had asked his players (midfielders) to start attacking their opponents with tackles and aggression we would would have seen it. But never once in his time have our team ever walked with a swagger like we are going to give it to you pricks - there is no mongrel in him or the team and thats where belief comes from. I agree the line coach may have raised it but again we saw no result. A sound senior coach would see that was it was a major issue and address that himself and to the group to ensure change.

If Richo had asked his players (midfielders) to start attacking their opponents with tackles and aggression we would would have seen it. But never once in his time have our team ever walked with a swagger like we are going to give it to you pricks - there is no mongrel in him or the team and thats where belief comes from. I agree the line coach may have raised it but again we saw no result. A sound senior coach would see that was it was a major issue and address that himself and to the group to ensure change.
Complete guess work and that is why I say what I say. Of course we attack players with tackles and aggression. If you mean this game their midfield was bigger and stronger and we didn’t have our best mid playing.

If there is no mongrel in a player a coaching telling them to get mongrel isn’t going to work. Steven is an example of that. Nothing that will be said to him will get mongrel into his footy. Does it effect his footy. Not one little bit

Just imagine a coach saying that to players. I reckon they walk away laughing. Any coach for any team. You have or you don’t. Harvs didn’t have it. Lenny did. Both coached by the same coaches. Just different people

I can honestly say 100% I do not defend the club because I may have had some involvement with ex players. Matter of fact a certain player saw that I said he should be dropped and wasn’t happy. Tip. Never leave computer on when people are here. My defence is genuinely what I believe. I also believe people guess issues with players or coaches to back up their arguement. An example in your post. Richo never seems to challenge the midfield. Really. How would any of know that but if we did richo shouldn’t be challenging the midfield it should be the midfield coach. This is example of something’s I do know about because of a small involvement. The line coaches do so much more talking to their players than the head coach. He talks generally to the group not specifics.
Hear hear. The great Hawthorn was accused of the very same thing on the weekend. Narrative was that North "surprised" with their tactics and it took Clarko the 1/4 time break to re-set them. Now he's a genius yet again because they kicked the goals and won when we missed ours. If Hunter's shot alone goes the other side of the post we draw the game. I'll give our coach exactly the same credit as the genius when all evidence points to the same set of criteria

richo is a defencive pressure coach. i reckon he would have been demanding exactly that. they just didnt implement it (the players that is).

look i think richo is a paying for complacency and his inability to implement an elite football dept, but you can't be accussing him of the above.

i think we did very well on the weekend and the previous 4 matches (JLT Included) have been excellent.

the real test is this weekend!

Sorry but Battle was absolutely not having a good game. He took one good mark and knocked out Fyfe. Everything else he did was detrimental.

Battle was huge down back, defensively - Hogan was sweating bullets when he was around, it won't show in the stats but the physical contest he provided was huge, and limited Hogan and Taberner time and again. Added to that was his kicking, gave us easy transition from defence more than a few times, and quite frankly looked a better kick than JWeb, who got it wrong a few times on the day.

Bruce is a huge presence.

Gresh is an ankle breaking freak, opponents sh1t bricks when he's around a ground ball.

Savage unfairly cops it on here sometimes, and was excellent on Sunday, positioning is underrated and his abilty to get to the contest.

Kent was ordinary, fumbly AF

Parker - someone said it before - was trying to make his homecoming highlight reel instead of playing the percentages at times - all for the flair and x factor, but at the right time. guess that comes with more games.

No I knew you were joking but as I didn’t respond to mighty which I should have I just put my point across. Nothing offends me unless it having a go at daughter. All good. Just don’t swear

Yessir! :)

Battle was huge down back, defensively - Hogan was sweating bullets when he was around, it won't show in the stats but the physical contest he provided was huge, and limited Hogan and Taberner time and again. Added to that was his kicking, gave us easy transition from defence more than a few times, and quite frankly looked a better kick than JWeb, who got it wrong a few times on the day.

Bruce is a huge presence.

Gresh is an ankle breaking freak, opponents sh1t bricks when he's around a ground ball.

Savage unfairly cops it on here sometimes, and was excellent on Sunday, positioning is underrated and his abilty to get to the contest.

Kent was ordinary, fumbly AF

Parker - someone said it before - was trying to make his homecoming highlight reel instead of playing the percentages at times - all for the flair and x factor, but at the right time. guess that comes with more games.
Parker didnt have the best game, but i think the way he handled it was positive. Kept tring to get involved, worked right up the ground and kept the pressure up defensively

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No s**t, they must have reviewed the footage for hours to realise that. Because Gary Rowan broke his leg we made a rule that has been called wrong more than right and has cost games. Probably the dumbest rule in footy.

This does however mean that Freos ensuing score from the free should not be counted and it's another administration oversight resulting in a result which should not have happened because the governing body just cannot be arsed amending to fix it.

Since however admin can s**t gold, no one will give a damn and we'll continue to have farces of others screwing up and players playing for naught.

richo is a defencive pressure coach. i reckon he would have been demanding exactly that. they just didnt implement it (the players that is).

look i think richo is a paying for complacency and his inability to implement an elite football dept, but you can't be accussing him of the above.

i think we did very well on the weekend and the previous 4 matches (JLT Included) have been excellent.

Credit where it's due. Well played.

Pressure is only one part of the mechanism. When was the last time we saw one of our players get in the face of their opponents, tried to put off their opponents with chatter or niggle, or actually deliberately hurt an opponent in a contest or give their opponent an ear/head massage when spoiling. We have a group of choir boys who struggle to believe they can compete with the best. How excited were you when you saw Parker bump McGrath the week before, we havent seen anything like that since Gardiner, Gehrig & Hayes used to run through the opposition. Brown is a current example of having a huge frame but who has he intimidated or had worried about standing in front of him.

That mighten come natural to all players but you can god damn coach that into them!

Last edited:
Pressure is only one part of the mechanism. When was the last time we saw one of our players get in the face of their opponents, tried to put off their opponents with chatter or niggle, or actually deliberately hurt an opponent in a contest. We have a group of choir boys who struggle to believe they can compete with the best. How excited were you when you saw Parker bump McGrath the week before, we havent seen anything like that since Gardiner, Gehrig & Hayes used to run through the opposition. Brown is a current example of having a huge frame but who has he intimidated or had worried about standing in front of him.

That mighten come natural to all players but you can god damn coach that into them!
Long against GC then he got dropped ?

Pressure is only one part of the mechanism. When was the last time we saw one of our players get in the face of their opponents, tried to put off their opponents with chatter or niggle, or actually deliberately hurt an opponent in a contest or give their opponent an ear/head massage when spoiling. We have a group of choir boys who struggle to believe they can compete with the best. How excited were you when you saw Parker bump McGrath the week before, we havent seen anything like that since Gardiner, Gehrig & Hayes used to run through the opposition. Brown is a current example of having a huge frame but who has he intimidated or had worried about standing in front of him.

You are taking the piss surely or clutching at straws to find another fault after that one was debunked by a person who has his issues with richo. Deliberately hurt a player. Coach that into players. What a lot of rot. You have or don’t. And the last time we saw a player hurt someone was last week and the week before. One deliberate and the other accidental. Can’t wait till Steven becomes like you want. That will really improve his game. Not one little bit actually

The biggest question that came out of the weekend for me is just how hard is Battle's head? Seriously, he needs to put a license on that jalopy if he is going to run over the competitions marquee players.

Marshall is quote clearly our best ruckman, except that he can't ruck. RoMa's jump looks as good as any, but his timing is off and he is still too light to grapple effectively. Marshall is certainly worth persevering with, and is almost playing well enough to make a case for playing second ruck / wing forward.

That last mix-up with the 6 man zones, did the coaches try to throw Battle forward as a marking target? With 8 seconds on the clock and the ball being thrown up in the centre (how bad were the bounces?) I might have whispered 'Longer' 3 times out loud hoping that might conjure him into the centre bounce. Ross played his cards way too early at that bounce, ran straight off his man to spread before the ball had even been tapped, then it ended up going straight to his man.

I thought we battled manfully after a very poor start. We look really aggressive in our attack on both the man and the ball. But when that aggression doesn't actually result in a turnover, or at the very least, locking the ball in we often get hurt. The ball just seemed to pinball around the contest until it broke through the circle of inside St Kilda players and into a Fremantle player's hands on the outside. And then if they were prepared to run from that point they opened us up easily.

We were absolutely smashed in centre clearances, so we are always on the back foot early. While we are defending well and with good vigour, chasing and tackling takes a lot of energy out of our attack when it is our time to use the ball. Bruce and Membrey needed one more focal point in attack, and unfortunately Kent, Parker and Lonie provided very little spark. I actually thought Parker tried to create a few times but nothing ever came of it.

I would give Kent a spell. 15 disposals at 53% efficiency is just not where we need him to be. Looks under done as well. and that may be a big contributing factor to his form struggle. Long or Young in. Steven back in for Clark. We should give Hawthorn a good nudge I reckon.

Rowan has to start somewhere, he's been excellent.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=12&type=A&pid1=6406&pid2=3346&fid1=O&fid2=O

Errrr have you been watching the first 3 matches?

If you don't think we've been niggling and harassing the oppo then you've been watching a different team

You can smash richo but not on this topic. It's literally the center piece of his non existent game plan.

Lonie loves the niggle. Shame it's like being brutalised by a chihuahua.

One game in, apparently not well.
Two games, probably not much better.....
I still do have hope for Sammy.
Foolishly optimistic I suppose.
Yeah it's funny the opinion I've heard on him. Shocked as to how quiet and non assertive he is when they've been exposed to those in charge of stronger state league sides.

Like you I hope he works out. But tbh I think if schofield was there the results would have been 10x better.

You are taking the piss surely or clutching at straws to find another fault after that one was debunked by a person who has his issues with richo. Deliberately hurt a player. Coach that into players. What a lot of rot. You have or don’t. And the last time we saw a player hurt someone was last week and the week before. One deliberate and the other accidental. Can’t wait till Steven becomes like you want. That will really improve his game. Not one little bit actually
We've been over reckless if anything this year. Clear focus to make the tackles stick and for the oppo to feel the pressure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back