Preview Round 3, 2019: Hawthorn v North Melbourne, 7 April 3:20pm AEDT @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I raised this at the time, complete waste of time having Reeves on the list, we could have developed him at Box Hill and not list him and hand Meadows as legitimate depth for the very issue we have now. Illogical and mind boggling stuff. I wonder if Meadows old man ran the club if he would have been selected? Not what you know/can do, it’s who you know... I mean who your old man is!

Because Meadows wouldn't have helped either. It's not a mature bodied midfield that necessarily competes, it's a stable midfield. Meadows would have been just another bloke in there that wasn't used to the system. We already have Scully playing, we have Wingard coming in who can play in the midfield as a stop gap.

The club probably looked at both players, and their future potential, and decided that Meadows was the less likely to be snaked out from under them. A 209 cm ruck with decent footy skills wouldn't stay off a list for long, but there are plenty of mature bodied midfielders running around in the twos.

Not sure how that's illogical. Complaining about this is kinda like going back to 2000 and getting upset at someone for buying apple stocks instead of gold.

ROUND 3 SQUAD
Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs
MCG
Sunday 31st March, 3.20pm AEDT

B: Blake Hardwick, James Frawley, Jarman Impey
HB: Harry Morrison, James Sicily, Ben Stratton
C: Isaac Smith, James Cousins, Ricky Henderson
HF: Jarryd Roughead, Conor Nash, Chad Wingard
F: Luke Breust, Jack Gunston, Paul Puopolo
R: Ben McEvoy, James Worpel, Jaeger O’Meara
INT from: Jack Scrimshaw, David Mirra, Tom Scully, Jonathon Ceglar, Conor Glass, Dylan Moore, Mitch Lewis, Kaiden Brand

In: Wingard, Mirra, Glass, Moore, Brand, Lewis
Out: Shaun Burgoyne (hamstring), Liam Shiels (hamstring)

I'm guessing that it's Wingard and Mirra in. Impey will spend a lot of time rotating through the midfield. But it's Cousins, Worps and JOM again in the forge banging with the big boys. North have Higgins (205 games), Cunnington (189) and Davies-Uniacke (9) banging it in the middle with our young talent. Let's go, boys! I reckon the Hawks young mids can do it.

I'm guessing that it's Wingard and Mirra in. Impey will spend a lot of time rotating through the midfield. But it's Cousins, Worps and JOM again in the forge banging with the big boys. North have Higgins (205 games), Cunnington (189) and Davies-Uniacke (9) banging it in the middle with our young talent. Let's go, boys! I reckon the Hawks young mids can do it.
We need to work Goldstein over. Then get it to our outside runners.

We’ll need to win it via intercepts down back (hence Mirra in) and with forward pressure (Nash must lay 5 tackles). Wash, rinse repeat each week til Mitch comes back.

A quote from this interview with Poppy intrigued me.

https://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2019-04-04/puopolo-time-for-redemption

“We’ve had some time to review the game and we saw what we did and what mistakes we made,” Puopolo said.

“So, now it’s up to us to hopefully correct those mistakes.”

You can only make so many changes at a time and expect them to get absorbed (a lesson the AFL would do well to learn). I wonder what mistakes they focused on? For me, I hope it's the setup around the fall of the ball on the kick up the line. The Doggies slaughtered us on chasing the loose ball because they were continually in better position (seemingly aways free over the back of the contest). I also think we failed to fill the proper running lanes in the midfield as it seemed like the Doggies were continually moving in straight lines going forward, unlike Adelaide the previous week who had to stop and move sideways at almost every offensive thrust.

The good thing about issues like that is that they are all preparation items. It wasn't skill errors or hesitant play that killed it. We were getting beat on setups in a couple aspects of the game. That can be fixed with film work and strategy discussions.

Our young mids also wore out something fierce, but that will come. Those boys have big hearts and I trust them to get stronger and more competitive every week. This team can go places if they stay strong and smart.

We need to work Goldstein over. Then get it to our outside runners.

We’ll need to win it via intercepts down back (hence Mirra in) and with forward pressure (Nash must lay 5 tackles). Wash, rinse repeat each week til Mitch comes back.

I am fully on board with the idea of Mirra in. I think that the rock solid defense will make or break us this year. The mids will do their best and the forwards will be dangerous, but the defense's ability to keep us in the game will set our fate.

We won't be running up scores that teams can't get close to. There just won't be the good supply out of the young midfield to make that happen. We'll have to strangle the other side so that the 90 or so points that the forwards can scrape from their opportunities is enough to win. Maybe next year with a fully fit and operational death star (oops, I mean midfield) then we'll be putting up 120 every week. But not this year.

Because Meadows wouldn't have helped either. It's not a mature bodied midfield that necessarily competes, it's a stable midfield. Meadows would have been just another bloke in there that wasn't used to the system. We already have Scully playing, we have Wingard coming in who can play in the midfield as a stop gap.

The club probably looked at both players, and their future potential, and decided that Meadows was the less likely to be snaked out from under them. A 209 cm ruck with decent footy skills wouldn't stay off a list for long, but there are plenty of mature bodied midfielders running around in the twos.

Not sure how that's illogical. Complaining about this is kinda like going back to 2000 and getting upset at someone for buying apple stocks instead of gold.

Rubbish... if we weren’t in this league for flags then I’d agree. Reeves is 5-7 years away

When I look at our abysmal midfield depth I can't help but think why we drafted Reeves instead of Meadows? WTF? A project player??? It's times like this I need a kit kat.

Reeves won't come into contention for a couple of years yet, but at least Meadows could help fill a void. You often hear that the game is won & lost in the midfield. ATM we don't look like winning too much.

For those that argue he's not up to the standard, at least he'd be an option right about now!
We can still get Meadows in a couple of weeks.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last night should suggest to us that the more defensive pressure you can get into the team the better. Not totally against playing both Moore and Nash in the same team. Geelong have literally 3 or 4 1 position type road runners in the forward line and it's working a treat so far. If we can't get it enough in there because of our midfield than we should try and stop it from getting out more often.

I just want to see the Sicilian forward for a quarter so him and Wingard can feast on those long high entries. We would be 600% more threatening in the air with the two aforementioned inside 50
Unfortunately, that's not Clarko's primary goal for forward entries. He doesn't mind the ball coming in high because it causes chaos. He has brutes like Rough, Big Boy, Ceglar and Nash that can bring the ball to ground in order for the likes of Breust, Poppy, Wingard (previously Cyril), Gunna etc to feast on the crumbs. We have the most mobile forward line in the comp and all are excellent below their knees because Clarko's plan requires it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back