Review Round 3, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. West Coast

Who were your five best players against West Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I noticed Dan dropped his head in another marking contest, making him not a Noel Mugavin type, but a Schache (cannot remember how to spell that blokes name) look alike. This is a simple problem to fix.

I get frustrated that we have a pretty good team with an obvious fault up forward.

To excuse Dan and Hipwood because other key forwards from other teams are also not dominating is rather silly. If other teams have the same problem we still have the problem. If you have cancer don't worry because others have cancer would be a similar argument. The point is that with a couple of dominating key forwards we would be unstoppable.

I believe its time to find a premiership centre half forward.

Rayner is starting to contribute at last. Would be benefitted from a spell in the Twos last year? We will never know but once he gets a bit more poise watch out.
The main confusion here is that both key forwards are following the game plan set by Fagan. Their main role is to contest when the ball comes in and bring it to ground for the smalls to do the rest. Most BF posters naturally want to see our key forwards leading, marking, kicking goals etc but their primary role isnt that. If they can take the odd grab thats great but if you look at the way we bring the ball into our forward fifty, I defy any key forward to do better than ours. Its just bombed in. Most times whoever brings it in doesnt even look for a target. Both key forwards did what was expected of them last night and were told just that after the game by their respective forward coach and Fagan.

The main confusion here is that both key forwards are following the game plan set by Fagan. Their main role is to contest when the ball comes in and bring it to ground for the smalls to do the rest. Most BF posters naturally want to see our key forwards leading, marking, kicking goals etc but their primary role isnt that. If they can take the odd grab thats great but if you look at the way we bring the ball into our forward fifty, I defy any key forward to do better than ours. Its just bombed in. Most times whoever brings it in doesnt even look for a target. Both key forwards did what was expected of them last night and were told just that after the game by their respective forward coach and Fagan.
Agree with most of this.
I believe (but don't know) that part of Fagan's game plan is a meters gained strategy.
Just looking at the two best wingers in the AFL from 2019 in Mitch Robinson and Hugh McCluggage
Mitch finds himself regularly in awkward positions. Kicking as long as possible, quite often across his body.
On the other wing you have good movers of the ball in McCluggage, Zorko, Bailey, and some others at times.
Our forwards would train for both options coming into our forward 50.
This makes it hard for other coaches to get a defense structure that their players can easily follow.
Like all plans they can come unstuck re- Richmond

Will point out that if hipwoods role isn't to kick goals we probably can't be paying him big money.

Talking to Noble last year, they have such a focus on contested marking and contested ball that guys like McStay and Hipwood that might not mark the ball but also don't not mark the ball. Remembering a few years back and we'd constantly be turning the ball over inside the forward 50 because guys will be blocked out or off the ball. These days at least the ball is coming to ground and then guys like Cameron or McCarthy will be dangerous.

Agree with most of this.
I believe (but don't know) that part of Fagan's game plan is a meters gained strategy.
Just looking at the two best wingers in the AFL from 2019 in Mitch Robinson and Hugh McCluggage
Mitch finds himself regularly in awkward positions. Kicking as long as possible, quite often across his body.
On the other wing you have good movers of the ball in McCluggage, Zorko, Bailey, and some others at times.
Our forwards would train for both options coming into our forward 50.
This makes it hard for other coaches to get a defense structure that their players can easily follow.
Like all plans they can come unstuck re- Richmond
It seems logical to me that if your role is to contest and bring the ball to ground and occasionally fluke a grab then you don't really need a great player do you . So there are many players who could play that role provided they have the right physique , athleticism and competitive spirit.

I understand the blah blah about how so and so played his role but sometimes that's just an excuse for someone who hasn't played that well .

As we keep putting the same guys in those roles I can only presume that the coaches are happy . Or at least not convinced we have anyone else who can play that role better.

Hipwood I get. McStay sometimes I get and other times I don't think he competes hard enough . But until someone else gets a go in that role ,if ever, we'll never really know how effective he is. I thought against Hawthorn he was effective. Last 2 weeks ,hmmm. He's a Senior player now so from my perspective he needs to do a bit more.

Will point out that if hipwoods role isn't to kick goals we probably can't be paying him big money.
Read the post again Brab. Stating the obvious, everyone in the team is expected to kick goals when the opportunity presents itself however, what I am saying is that:

a) The ball is bombed in to the forward 50 purposely to gain scoring opportunities for our smalls.
b) Our Key Forwards main role is to contest and bring the ball to ground so our smalls can finnish.
c) The 2 key forwards were congratulated for their efforts last night even when only 1 goal was kicked in total combined.
d) They get paid accordingly on what the expectations of the coaching staff are & how important their roles are in the 22.
e) What we want to see and what the coaches want from them are 2 different things.

It seems logical to me that if your role is to contest and bring the ball to ground and occasionally fluke a grab then you don't really need a great player do you . So there are many players who could play that role provided they have the right physique , athleticism and competitive spirit.

I understand the blah blah about how so and so played his role but sometimes that's just an excuse for someone who hasn't played that well .

As we keep putting the same guys in those roles I can only presume that the coaches are happy . Or at least not convinced we have anyone else who can play that role better.

Hipwood I get. McStay sometimes I get and other times I don't think he competes hard enough . But until someone else gets a go in that role ,if ever, we'll never really know how effective he is. I thought against Hawthorn he was effective. Last 2 weeks ,hmmm. He's a Senior player now so from my perspective he needs to do a bit more.
He's 22 years old mate and will play as a 22 year old all year....hardly a "senior player". Has a lot more developing to do as a footballer and is well below his peak at this time. Fagan recognises this 100%.

The only real issue McStay has is dropping some easy marks. His handballing is actually quite impressive for a guy his height/size. Has anyone seen his amazing awareness?

It'll eventually come for him. Don't think it needs to be blown up as if he's a failure.

Read the post again Brab. Stating the obvious, everyone in the team is expected to kick goals when the opportunity presents itself however, what I am saying is that:

a) The ball is bombed in to the forward 50 purposely to gain scoring opportunities for our smalls.
b) Our Key Forwards main role is to contest and bring the ball to ground so our smalls can finnish.
c) The 2 key forwards were congratulated for their efforts last night even when only 1 goal was kicked in total combined.
d) They get paid accordingly on what the expectations of the coaching staff are & how important their roles are in the 22.
e) What we want to see and what the coaches want from them are 2 different things.

You've just said the same thing really.

If they are playing their role and not kicking many goals, than their role isn't necessarily to kick goals.

I think there's lots of players in the AFL that could fulfill that role.

Long term surely the expectation for Hipwood is for him to impact games on the scoreboard?

He's 22 years old mate and will play as a 22 year old all year....hardly a "senior player". Has a lot more developing to do as a footballer and is well below his peak at this time. Fagan recognises this 100%.
Born 24 June 1995.

So only 3 years out . He's 25. This week.

I'm no huge knock on him , just expect more consistency and a couple of stellar games from someone who's been in the system as long as he has.

To be fair I always thought he was a straight ahead player so it's likely they play him forward because we've got plenty of backs and no one else who can generally play the role as well as he does.

Born 24 June 1995.

So only 3 years out . He's 25. This week.

I'm no huge knock on him , just expect more consistency and a couple of stellar games from someone who's been in the system as long as he has.

To be fair I always thought he was a straight ahead player so it's likely they play him forward because we've got plenty of backs and no one else who can generally play the role as well as he does.
Sorry, thought you were talking Hipwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You've just said the same thing really.

If they are playing their role and not kicking many goals, than their role isn't necessarily to kick goals.

I think there's lots of players in the AFL that could fulfill that role.

Long term surely the expectation for Hipwood is for him to impact games on the scoreboard?
I think that surely thats yours & my expectation. The coaches expectation (& the most important one) is to perform the role thats given to them. The players expectation is to play their given roles each week and hopefully be rewarded with a flag sometime soon. In saying that, Hipwood is tracking along fine for the number of goals kicked in his career thus far. Dan probably below par but he is still rated highly by Fagan & Co.

replay is fixed for me on kayo now, for anyone who was having the same issue hopefully works now

Also fair dinkum are there people seriously satisfied that its ok that Mcstay in particular is not getting many marks because our 'strategy' is to bomb it in endlessly in the hope that charlie cameron and our other small forwar.. Charlie cameron and the midfielders that are pushing through the forward 50 might get on the end of it. Here's a tip, run into some of that space in front of you and mark the ball, then, when you mark it, kick it between those two big sticks

My anxiety is low when Lester engages in a scramble for the ball at ground level always wins or halves..possibly more effective in dewy night games but I cannot rule out his selection in every game till 2025

Irrespective of who plays forward this appears (to me anyhow) to be a meters gained strategy going forward
I gave an example of wingers one that kicks deep on one side of ground and one that looks for options into forward 50 on the other side.
I believe this also applies from deep back pocket clearing from defense.
No so much from half back. We either find a player or head to boundary hoping for another ruck contest
It is a fairly simple plan if you have the right players to carry it out.
But hey it may not be their plan at all just my thinking it is something along these lines

As far as someone else getting a go i am all for that happening but will leave it up to the coaches to decide

Back