Preview Round 3, 2020: Collingwood v St.Kilda - MCG, Saturday 20th June, 4:35PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Magpies

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Saints

Votes: 37 63.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always get concerned if I see too many talls in a team but I think Marsh coming in is 100% to do a defensive job on Howe so I can live with it. Forward line just won’t function if he can do what he wants. Ideally though he would replace another tall but hopefully it works. At least Marsh is super quick.

Stephenson coming back hurts. Finding matchups for both him and De Goey in the front half is going to be a nightmare. To think they’ve still got Treloar to come back, wowee.

Happy with Marsh in, for me it was either Battle or him. After watching the video of where players entered the room last week, with Marsh up & about cheering, did anyone notice the physic on the guy? Big chest & shoulders, looks like he could run through the old proverbial brick shithouse & not get a scratch on himself.

If we are being serious, surely the biggest question mark at selection would be King? It is likely to be wet all day - for me, the likelihood of no game impact and exposure to injury would say leave out. Maybe Battle in?

Would like to see King play as many games as possible & in any weather conditions, although this early in his career & with the Collingwood boofheads expected to give him a little bit of working over your comments do have some justification.

Would like to see King play as many games as possible & in any weather conditions, although this early in his career & with the Collingwood boofheads expected to give him a little bit of working over your comments do have some justification.

So would I but his strength is still under-developed and the idea of him playing in wet conditions with players sliding into his legs worries me. Add to that the fact that he is very unlikely to have a lot of impact in those conditions and another player may be more suitable - I think you can mount an argument that getting games into him does not trump all other considerations.

So would I but his strength is still under-developed and the idea of him playing in wet conditions with players sliding into his legs worries me. Add to that the fact that he is very unlikely to have a lot of impact in those conditions and another player may be more suitable - I think you can mount an argument that getting games into him does not trump all other considerations.
Can't protect him every time there is a bit of drizzle. His knee injury was two years ago now.

Big guys are still extremely important when it's a bit slippery and his ability to mark, get the ball to ground and have the skill to impact the game on the deck is as important as ever.

Can't protect him every time there is a bit of drizzle. His knee injury was two years ago now.

That is the other line of thought I guess. I'd rather keep him safe for another year. He hasn't turned 20 and he doesn't have the muscle and size build he will have when he is fully developed.

I think Battle could equally play the big man role you describe and he is physically more up to it.

King is going to have to get used to being targeted, and used to playing in different conditions. If his form and training standards warrant selection, then he plays. I think a game against a team like Collingwood is great for him. Same against Richmond. Quality opposition with quality players. He's going to have tough games...it will sharpen him up in the long run. I reckon after 7 or 8 games he'll be ready for a weeks rest. We have good conditioning and player welfare staff, they would weigh the risks and act accordingly. Hope he snags a couple.

That is the other line of thought I guess. I'd rather keep him safe for another year. He hasn't turned 20 and he doesn't have the muscle and size build he will have when he is fully developed.

I think Battle could equally play the big man role you describe and he is physically more up to it.
you can't not play him cos you're scared he'll get hurt

King is going to have to get used to being targeted, and used to playing in different conditions. If his form and training standards warrant selection, then he plays. I think a game against a team like Collingwood is great for him. Same against Richmond. Quality opposition with quality players. He's going to have tough games...it will sharpen him up in the long run. I reckon after 7 or 8 games he'll be ready for a weeks rest. We have good conditioning and player welfare staff, they would weigh the risks and act accordingly. Hope he snags a couple.
It's going to be game where we need to do well in one-on-one contests across the ground to stop the Pies hard running and link up. Max will need to impose himself physically as much as possible in the forward half.

It's going to be game where we need to do well in one-on-one contests across the ground to stop the Pies hard running and link up. Max will need to impose himself physically as much as possible in the forward half.

Yep. I think the match will be a full on grind. I reckon Max will have a game of doing the little things that matter, without being pominant or eye catching in any obvious way. These are the things that will make him though. To be honest I actually quite liked the idea of playing Battle for this match, thought he would have given us an edge up gorward...but he's clearly behind a couple at the moment for whatever reason. Hope Marsh does well.

Jeez for a player who is not playing Battle gets a lot of mentions. Can we do an exercise in why people think why the coach and selectors have put Marsh in ahead of Battle.

My personal view is that Marsh is seen as a much more dynamic "impact" player than Battle who is seen as a very solid player but not having any stand out traits .

From what I've seen Battle has benefited by moving into defence because it plays to his strengths - excellent vision, kicking and reading the play and his great tank but reduces his "liabilities" which are related to his lack of genuine speed and agility (he does take a big big arc!!!)

Marsh is probably less reliable kicking wise but his agility, speed and strength provides such a point of difference that if has stepped up since his return to AFL he could turn out to be a genuine wildcard in our team.

194 cm players with his speed and strength don't grow on trees and I'm more than happy if the club are going to give him a run of games ahead of Battle who is the probably more solid player.

Just to show his speed - here's the 20 sprint times from his draft year in 2013. (His time is the equal 2nd fastest ever recorded at the draft)

1592521040049.png

Despite the age difference - statistically they are pretty even.
1592519968919.png

Last edited:
I always get concerned if I see too many talls in a team but I think Marsh coming in is 100% to do a defensive job on Howe so I can live with it. Forward line just won’t function if he can do what he wants. Ideally though he would replace another tall but hopefully it works. At least Marsh is super quick.

Stephenson coming back hurts. Finding matchups for both him and De Goey in the front half is going to be a nightmare. To think they’ve still got Treloar to come back, wowee.

It sounds like Long might be touch and go too. Perhaps Savage gets another run if that's the case. I guess we would play Paton on Stevo and De Goey gets Wilkie or more likely gets Coffield putting a hard tag on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy with Marsh in, for me it was either Battle or him. After watching the video of where players entered the room last week, with Marsh up & about cheering, did anyone notice the physic on the guy? Big chest & shoulders, looks like he could run through the old proverbial brick shithouse & not get a scratch on himself.

Yeah, he's an absolute bull of a man. He's not that tall but he makes up for it in bulk. If he hit you at full pace not many AFL players would be walking away from it in the same condition they entered it. It always freaks me out when you see AFL players up close because they are so thin in real life. He's the opposite, he looks big regardless.

Jeez for a player who is not playing Battle gets a lot of mentions. Can we do an exercise in why people think why the coach and selectors have put Marsh in ahead of Battle.

My personal view is that Marsh is seen as a much more dynamic "impact" player than Battle who is seen as a very solid player but not having any stand out traits .

From what I've seen Battle has benefited by moving into defence because it plays to his strengths - excellent vision, kicking and reading the play and his great tank but reduces his "liabilities" which are related to his lack of genuine speed and agility (he does take a big big arc!!!)

Marsh is probably less reliable kicking wise but his agility, speed and strength provides such a point of difference that if has stepped up since his return to AFL he could turn out to be a genuine wildcard in our team.

194 cm players with his speed and strength don't grow on trees and I'm more than happy if the club are going to give him a run of games ahead of Battle who is the probably more solid player.

Just to show his speed - here's the 20 sprint times from his draft year in 2013. (His time is the equal 2nd fastest ever recorded at the draft)

View attachment 895004

View attachment 894994

Wow, I would have said Battle was much taller and lighter than Marsh. Battle has the Wakelin physique with wide shoulders and thin hips so looks tall and lean. Marsh looks like a truck.

Nah I reckon he will play a defensive forward role and with the speed and power he has it’s a good move trust in Ratts

This.

Im expecting him to come in and tag Howe.

Moore on King.
Roughead on Marshall/Ryder
Crisp? on Membrey

Or they try to get Howe to Membrey and Marsh just runs a blitz through Crisp/Maynard into some space while Members parks himself in the square and anchors Howe to a useless part of the field.

View attachment 895004

View attachment 894994
Not sure any excersises are needed. Battle is a 21 year old key position player. He's got plenty of time. We might be seeing some frustration from fans but that is no different to any other quality young player not getting a game. It shouldn't be an issue as long as we are winning.

I don't think there are too many here that are upset Marsh is getting a gig ahead of Battle is there?

They are very different players.

Edit: since the selection the only post on here that comes close to suggesting Marsh should not get a game ahead of Battle was "Marsh ahead of Battle is a surprise"

Feels like you are jumping at shadows.

Last edited:
On Battle -

I think long term he is our CHB. I have no idea where Logan Austin is at but I still have this niggling feeling that Carlisle is going to be traded at the end of the year and that we will run with Howard, Wilkie and Battle as our 3 talls in defence.

I believe that if the conditions stay wet then Marsh was the better pick over Battle due to his physical style of play. Hopefully he can gte a couple of center bounces and rough up a few pies midfielders which can help us run and spread. If it clears up by Game Time then I definitely think Battle should come on instead as an emergency over Marsh. Feel like he could roam the MCG very well in good conditions.

On Battle -

I think long term he is our CHB. I have no idea where Logan Austin is at but I still have this niggling feeling that Carlisle is going to be traded at the end of the year and that we will run with Howard, Wilkie and Battle as our 3 talls in defence.
I'd prefer we sign Battle and Carlisle if we can

Think it’s quite ridiculous some don’t want to play King because it’s potentially going to be a wet day.

Get him playing in all conditions, he has all the traits to be something great so why stagnate that and not let him develop in differing conditions. Soon enough when we make finals on a rainy day I’d hope there won’t be any asking for Kent to replace King.

Get minutes into our saving grace rain, hail or shine.

Think it’s quite ridiculous some don’t want to play King because it’s potentially going to be a wet day.

Get him playing in all conditions, he has all the traits to be something great so why stagnate that and not let him develop in differing conditions. Soon enough when we make finals on a rainy day I’d hope there won’t be any asking for Kent to replace King.

Get minutes into our saving grace rain, hail or shine.
He’s also very good below his knees so can’t really see what the issue is. Should drop Ryder, Marshall & Carlisle too if we’re running that theory.

On Battle -

Perfect set up , mobile and good kicking skills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back