Preview Round 3, 2020: Collingwood v St.Kilda - MCG, Saturday 20th June, 4:35PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Magpies

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Saints

Votes: 37 63.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What probably gave Marsh the edge over Battle was the loosest most unbridled ecstacy I've ever seen displayed in the rooms after the game. And he didn't even play!
Coach would surely have noticed it. That and the expected conditions tomorrow. Hope he smashes some filth bodies!

What probably gave Marsh the edge over Battle was the loosest most unbridled ecstacy I've ever seen displayed in the rooms after the game. And he didn't even play!
Coach would surely have noticed it. That and the expected conditions tomorrow. Hope he smashes some filth bodies!

How well you celebrated and belted out the song in the rooms after a win used to be a factor in selection, that was one of the reasons Stevie Baker and Milney got games in their early days.

It's great to see Ratts bringing it back, let's face it Ratts only got games at Carlton in his early days because he was a great team man, he wasn't in their best 22.

How well you celebrated and belted out the song in the rooms after a win used to be a factor in selection, that was one of the reasons Stevie Baker and Milney got games in their early days.

It's great to see Ratts bringing it back, let's face it Ratts only got games at Carlton in his early days because he was a great team man, he wasn't in their best 22.
Totally agree with the first point!
Coaches take notice of that sort of enthusiasm for sure!

But cannot agree that was the only reason Ratts got games at Carlton.
He was a super player Ratten with Greg Williams like vision!

Coach would surely have noticed it.

Someone ( ie me 🤣) posted an article on exactly that in the Saints /Bulldogs autopsy thread. Worth a read if you haven’t already done so.

By all accounts Marsh has been a highlight in the trail games , I would suspect this the reason he has been called up.
Hopefully Battle will get his chance when we go back to one ruckman and he is played in the forward line where he belongs.

Totally agree with the first point!
Coaches take notice of that sort of enthusiasm for sure!

But cannot agree that was the only reason Ratts got games at Carlton.
He was a super player Ratten with Greg Williams like vision!

Don't get me wrong, Ratten turned into a great midfielder for Carlton around the mid 90s when they won their 1995 flag and was still great into the late 90s.

When Ratten debuted in 1990 though as an 18 or 19 year old kid he wasn't anything special, he wasn't a Judd or Selwood, he worked hard to become great.

That's one of the reasons Ratts is a good coach, he wasn't blessed with talent, he had to work hard to become great and he learnt from some of the best midfielders in the business back in the 90s in Greg Williams and Craig Bradley.

Some of the best midfielders in the 90s I should point out, we all know Robert Harvey was the best midfielder in the 90s, closely followed by Nicky Winmar.

Don't get me wrong, Ratten turned into a great midfielder for Carlton around the mid 90s when they won their 1995 flag and was still great into the late 90s.

When Ratten debuted in 1990 though as an 18 or 19 year old kid he wasn't anything special, he wasn't a Judd or Selwood, he worked hard to become great.

That's one of the reasons Ratts is a good coach, he wasn't blessed with talent, he had to work hard to become great and he learnt from some of the best midfielders in the business back in the 90s in Greg Williams and Craig Bradley.

Some of the best midfielders in the 90s I should point out, we all know Robert Harvey was the best midfielder in the 90s, closely followed by Nicky Winmar.
Just looking at some of the injuries - GWS / Kelly / Taranto - Bombers / Heppell - Magpies / Treloar - Tigers / Martin - Crows / Sloane -Lions / Martin / Zorko - Blues / Charlie Curnow / Dow / Fisher / Kreuzer / Marchbank / Newman .

This season could well be decided on the side with the best depth and I would have to say we have depth.
If we beat the Magpies and Tigers we will be in a very good position.
Carlton look like they are going to have another shocking season and they have a few injuries.

Max to kick 3 in the wet..
All from the ball hitting the deck
Having a team that has skilled players will help a lot if its wet.
Guys like Hill , Gresham , King , Hunter Clark , Coffield , Paton , Membery , Butler , Hannebery , Long are all above average skilled players.

Thank god the Wrights , Longers , Wellers , Newnes , Goddards , Minchingtons , Pierces , Rice , Whites are not our depth now.

All of a sudden, the dominant top sides in the last 2-3 years, look very vulnerable this year and these next 2 games which seemed daunting only a couple of weeks ago now appear very winnable!
Tomorrow should give us a real guide as to where we are at. Won't be easy by any means, as much as I despise the Pies they are hard to beat. And I do fear we look a little top heavy against a team full of runners. But we def should not fear them. If we can find a way through their miserly defence with some fast attacking transition I am quite confident we can keep their crappy forwards to a low score.
Should be an enthralling contest, one that was certainly worthy of free to air coverage. As it is I might have to park myself in Risky's boot again!

https://www.saints.com.au/news/719083/non-selected-saints-get-the-chance-to-impress

A host of Saints will get their chance to force their way into selection calculations in a Saturday morning hit-out against Collingwood reserves.

The long line of senior players yet to break into the line-up will seize the opportunity with both hands, particularly with VFL games out of the equation for Season 2020.

The scratch match will kick off at 11:00am on Saturday, 20 June at the Holden Centre.

Only AFL authorised personnel will be allowed entry.

He is the same at training. Loud and enthusiastic.
We have got a much more extroverted group than previously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interested to read a lot of the positive talk about Marsh on here who I readily admit I don't know much about. Comments about his physique and speed are everywhere but I'm not reading much about his actual football prowess. Can the guy play ? We don't need a "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane type." I'll watch him with interest tomorrow and tell you what I think post match. I hope you are all correct in your enthusiasm.

Interested to read a lot of the positive talk about Marsh on here who I readily admit I don't know much about. Comments about his physique and speed are everywhere but I'm not reading much about his actual football prowess. Can the guy play ? We don't need a "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane type." I'll watch him with interest tomorrow and tell you what I think post match. I hope you are all correct in your enthusiasm.

He reminds me of Sammy hammil, less the leadership but more of a maniac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back