Preview Round 3, 2020: Richmond v Hawthorn, 18 June 2020, 7.40pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Tigers were very lucky with a draw last week. The Pies kicked with precision in the first half. But in the 2nd half played into the Tiger's hands by going for chaos footy.
I have a sneaky feeling we may win. I expect a huge increase in intensity Vs Tigers
You must have watched a totally different game to the rest of the people , Apart from the 1st quarter the pies played an 18 man defence and were just defending for the rest of the night kicking just 1 goal and were extremely lucky the tigers fowards were off the boil. Pies lucky to get the draw

Hawks will put up a better effort than last week as im sure the tigers will also but the game will come down to the hawks ability to get the ball out of defence and resist the pressure fowards of Richmond imo

Remember, it took losing 5 of the first 6 games of 2017, including 75+ point losses to GC, Geelong & St Kilda, before any serious changes were made in team selection and team strategy.

Then in the second half of 2017 we had the experiment where at many stages our three closest players to goal where Duryea, Langford and Hartung. Those where the days.

There are 7 changes to both sides from the 2019 contest where the Tigers won by 6 goals.

Hawthorn
In - Frawley, Frost, Hanrahan, Mitchell, Patton, Smith, Wingard.

Out - Cousins, Glass, Impey, Lewis, Moore, Morrison, Scrimshaw.

Richmond
In - Cotchin, Graham, Pickett, Riewoldt, Rioli, Ross, Short.

Out - Baker, Balta, Ellis, Garthwaite, Martin, McIntosh, Menadue.

Hard to imagine anything other than a similar result tomorrow night.

What the Pies did well against Richmond last week was deny them the football in the first quarter. I saw many short lead up kicks, skill execution is important. This is why I had a Scrimshaw in the side, the kid knows how to kick from D50.

We need to use the football intelligently and not give up possession easily. If you bomb it forward, Grimes and Vlastuin position themselves well in the contest and their mosquito players are ready to collect and run the length of the field.

Richmond loves turnovers and will punish us with their counter attack running.

Furthermore, someone needs to tag Houli. The guy gets off the chain and too many opposition teams let him do as he pleases. Sets up plenty of their attack from D50.

The game will be one in the middle as it always is. However silly mistakes and skill execution will cost us if not careful. Cannot get sucked in to playing Richmond's brand of two way running otherwise we will lag.

Does anyone know if Clarko selects the side or are there any other selectors or are the other selectors too frightened to voice their opinion? Just wondering.

We're too top heavy currently but our current stock of fit, small and quick players to replace one or two of the bigger boys isn't exactly great at the moment. Let's just hope it doesn't rain or is dewy tomorrow night otherwise it could get ugly for us.

The Tigers were very lucky with a draw last week. The Pies kicked with precision in the first half. But in the 2nd half played into the Tiger's hands by going for chaos footy.
I have a sneaky feeling we may win. I expect a huge increase in intensity Vs Tigers
I thought they were all over Collingwood in the last quarter and half and really should have won .
Gradually broke and wore them down.

I agree with how you saw the game being played . Not sure that precision kicking game is our go these days .
We have to find another way .
A decent midfield contest would be a good start .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarko was never going to make a heap of changes . Its not his way and to be honest it would have been an emotive response to a very poor performance , which we have so far had one of.

If we roll out similar I expect and hope we would see more at next selection but lets hope we dont get to that.

Look at the Dogs , put in a stinker round 1 then all they spoke about was weilding the axe.
Make a heap of changes ( yes long break between games ) and play worse .
They played like a fractured group .

No need to panic ........yet

Clarko not making knee-jerk changes after one bad game is reassuring.
otherwise you'd have to think that he had no idea what he was doing and was just making it up as he went along.

But rewarding the same blokes who have not delivered for long periods of time is crazy... What’s the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again and expect a different result? Pop is gone, TOB is the coulda been who never was (has 9 lives) and our lateral, slow ball movement and ball control gets smoked time and time again against Richmond.

Great to see Jags back, our midfield was smashed last week, much needed inclusion.

Didn't expect wholesale changes, but really disappointed that Scrimshaw and Lewis aren't in the team at the moment.

Would love to know the reason why. Scrimshaw's 2018 season was fantastic, and we are sorely lacking someone creative off half back. I know we have Patton and O'Brien, but Lewis should be the first picked from the 3. We got games into him last season at the expense of a club legend (roughie) and rightly so, so extremely disappointed not to see him last week and again this week.

Lets hope they are both a bit underdone and get into the team sooner rather than later.

I know it doesn't work this way, but compare midfields:
Ceglar, Mitchell, OMeara, Wingard, Worpel, Shiles v
Soldo, Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards, Pickett, Caddy.

Cmon, on paper ours is superior.
Disagree. Our midfield is very flaky. Theirs is rock solid even without Martin. Add Lambert to their mix too. He’s massively underrated.

We only win this if we can retain the ball by foot on turnovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back